KIC Diamondback Tour

Beast1979

Welcome to the latest in a long line of Photo Trip Reports from me! In this edition, Jackson joins members of the KIC universe to tour the biggest, baddest, tallest, fastest (I know it's a little off, I couldn't say longest could I?) roller coaster in Kings Island's history, the new monster dominating Western Row Road, the one, the only, Diamondback!

The previously scheduled trip around the site for January 31 was postponed due to Snow and Ice! Ironically, this event was almost postponed due to a possibility of snow. But the Lord, Mother Nature, and theme park gods smiled upon us and gave us a light enough drizzle to let our tour happen. (Yea, I read it Ryan) In the middle of the tour, right about when we were outside Rivertown Junction (Read on if your Baffled), it started drizzling. It continued to steadily pick up pase until by the end of the tour we were running for the cars to hide from the cold, windy rain. I am even told during the ACE Winter SOAR event it was snowing!

But the Weather did not keep the KIC Forumites from having a good time, like always the group was a lively and fun bunch, and quite a pleasure to be around, despite the weather. We were given a walk through International Street, then into Nickelodeon Universe, through Rivertown and past The Beast, where we were given the opportunity to see the new pathway leading to everyone's favorite woodie! We then progressed through the back end of Coney Mall and into the Pathway closed off for 2008, which WILL be returning. A Quick Q&A followed in the Skyline Chili Place, then we walked back to our cars as the weather worsened.

I have to say, this was a great time for me, seeing others and Diamondback in the offseason was very helpful to the ole' Offseason Blues. I'm sorry I was unable to attend the Jungle Jim's and Krazy City meet up, I would have liked to be there.

Picture Time!

DSC01493.jpg

I promised Adam (Pkiboy) that I would show him my camera. This is what I take my pictures with, I only wish I had one like Ronny.

DSC01494.jpg

Unlike 3 weeks ago, the weather was windy, cold, and little to our knowledge, was about to rain.

DSC01495.jpg

Still, Kings Island beckoned!

DSC01496.jpg

And the numerous peaks of Diamondback were waiting for us!

DSC01497.jpg

Kings Island looked, as always it does in the offseason, cold, lonely, a desolate location.

DSC01499.jpg

Waiting for Visitors to bring back life to the park.

DSC01498.jpg

Diamondback has been fully constructed, and the trains were on for a bonus!

DSC01500.jpg

Like all B&Ms, Diamondback is a magnificent piece of art

DSC01501.jpg

There are just certain roller coasters that you can not help but drooling over

DSC01502.jpg

Hi, I'm with the KIC group, is this the right congregated mass of suicidally cold offseason crazed coaster freaks, or is the one I'm looking for down the road?

DSC01503.jpg

Through the same entry as before, we entered Kings Island, the one safe heaven for many an enthusiast.

DSC01504.jpg

We were greeted with the same midways as we remembered, walking past these same views on sweltering hot summer days, running toward our favorite rides to get the next adrenaline rush. Ahh, memories.

DSC01505.jpg

The same attractions from many a spring morning, running at the rope drop to get to the newest and best ride at the park, then wandering the midways, hearing the sounds, seeing the sights, and soaking in the atmosphere.

DSC01506.jpg

Although this year, there was a new sheriff in town.

DSC01508.jpg

Diamondback.

DSC01507.jpg

The Eiffel Tower moaned in the high wind, creaking as it is battered by brutal gales.

DSC01509.jpg

One Ride that is safely on the ground was Little Bills Giggle Coaster.

DSC01511.jpg

Before we had time to finish enjoying the paths of Kings Island, Diamondback Greeted us with a 230 foot hill!

DSC01510.jpg

The last time I was as close as I was yesterday, it was 2008, the park was open, and Construction hadn't even started on the second hill.

DSC01512.jpg

My what a difference it makes.

Another Post coming in a second....

• Like 1

DSC01513.jpg

Diamondback: The Newest in a lineup of B&M Hypers! It is certainly a Behemoth of a ride! You'll sure feel small against this Goliath! It's speed will make you feel like Nitro!

DSC01514.jpg

I was mostly dumbfounded how it effects everything from everywhere in the area!

DSC01515.jpg

It creates a shadow on everything in Rivertown, looming above every tree, building, and person below.

DSC01516.jpg

The area next to Wings Diner is becoming a waiting Queue, similar to Millennium Force, Firehawk, and Backlot, sadly.

DSC01517.jpg

A view of the Area.

DSC01518.jpg

It must have been quite different with Swan Lake around, it's almost hard to remember those days.

DSC01519.jpg

Trains!

DSC01520.jpg

I can't help but to look at it!

DSC01521.jpg

I think it is quite odd that they will give you the option of going through the gift shop or back on to the midway. Either way, I like it.

DSC01522.jpg

When I first saw the animation for Diamondback, I thought it was great, but for some reason it just didn't strike me as the gigantic B&M hypers of before, spread over a large area with hill after hill after hill. But now seeing it complete, I can say it is absolutely breathtaking!

DSC01523.jpg

New for 2009: Rivertown Junction. I like that name!

DSC01524.jpg

The lift hill looks like it will be horrifying, watching as you go skyward towards the woods, similar to The Beast.

DSC01525.jpg

Lift Hill!

DSC01526.jpg

Wow!

DSC01527.jpg

Nothing Quite like standing under a 230 foot hill to make your jaw drop!

DSC01528.jpg

Footing Win!

DSC01529.jpg

The Station...train....house.....storage.....thing

DSC01530.jpg

"It's not just a turn, it's a 320 Degree Helix!"

DSC01531.jpg

Even the last drop looks awesome!

DSC01532.jpg

Wow!

More in a Minute.....

DSC01533.jpg

215 Foot Drop at a 74 Degree Angle!

DSC01534.jpg

Hills: Win

DSC01535.jpg

It does looks snake like actually!

DSC01536.jpg

I am way too anxious

DSC01537.jpg

Splashdown: Win

DSC01538.jpg

Landscaping has started to take effect on the area

DSC01539.jpg

This looks like it will be the surprise of the ride.

DSC01540.jpg

Support with a view

DSC01541.jpg

The first drop looks like it will be great.

DSC01542.jpg

Wave Hi to the people in the station!

DSC01544.jpg

"Woa" -Random Hippie, 1967

DSC01543.jpg

"Yea Baby Yea!" -Mike Myers as Austin Powers, 1997, 1999, 2002

DSC01546.jpg

You can get a view of the new pathway here. It will be landscaped, have signs, etc.

DSC01547.jpg

Unfortunately it will bring you right up against the screaming games! "HEY YOU YEA YOU YEA YOU LOOK LIKE YOU WANNA PLAY WANNA WIN A PRIZE? I KNOW YOU WANT A PRIZE!" Arg.

DSC01548.jpg

Shorter lines on the way? Let's hope so!

DSC01549.jpg

Diamondback towers over everything. Everything.

DSC01550.jpg

Something old that's New again for 2009: The pathway!

DSC01551.jpg

I think I see a train!

DSC01552.jpg

We found saftey in the Skyline patio, where Don had a Q&A, if that's what you want to call it.

More in just a second.....

• Like 1

Great photos, as always! You are in fact the person who inspired me to start writing better PTRs. Keep up the fantastic work.

I'm working on my PTR.. the photos are still uploading. I took them with my new Sony Cybershot. They are significantly more impressive in quality than the ones taken with my cell phone.. it's nice to have a real camera. ;)

~Angie, who was first to write her Blues PTR but it seems she will be the last to write her KIC Tour/Winter SOAR PTR..

Hey Jackson, where are the zoomed-in pics of the "operator's table"?! Just teasin'... ;)

DSC01496.jpg

And the numerous peaks of Diamondback were waiting for us!

As someone who lived down the street from KI and would drive up N. Columbia Rd a couple times every week for two years...this new view is just absolutely stunning!!! Vortex used to be all alone!

DSC01514.jpg

I was mostly dumbfounded how it effects everything from everywhere in the area!

Which unlike Behmoth, Night Row, AC, and even RB and Goliath to degrees...Diamondback truly interacts with the midway and guests in a ridiculously crazy way!...that I love!! :D

Great PTR, as always!

• 3 years later...

Something inspired me to look at old KI construction photos, and I found several great PTRs from Diamondback's construction tour, including this one. It's fun looking back to see now-completed areas under heavy construction, so I thought one of these should (finally!) get a post-completion bump. It's especially interesting for people like me who weren't regularly following these forums back then. (Looking back makes me wish I had been.)

Those are some really nice shots. You guys definitely got up-close with the construction site!

• Like 1

I wonder how many were complaining about the $1.47(??) per gallon gas price at the time of this picture?

I don't think that gas was that cheap around the park in 2009 when this tour was.

Premium gas in that picture appears to be $2-something, so I'm guessing $1.87 or possibly $1.82. This was not long after the late 2008 gas price collapse where gas fell from over $4.00 to as low as $1.50 in places, so those figures sound reasonably accurate.

I wonder how many were complaining about the $1.47(??) per gallon gas price at the time of this picture?

I don't think that gas was that cheap around the park in 2009 when this tour was.

Premium gas in that picture appears to be $2-something, so I'm guessing $1.87 or possibly $1.82. This was not long after the late 2008 gas price collapse where gas fell from over $4.00 to as low as $1.50 in places, so those figures sound reasonably accurate.

Wow. I don't remember that at all. That's crazy.

I didn't attend this tour, but I was a very active poster back then. Reading this brings back so many memories! I don't post nearly as much as I used to, but I still do read the forums just about every day. I'm going a little off topic, but oh well; I really miss being active in the KIC community. I now am in college, have my own apartment, have a full time job, and absolutely no time at all to travel like I used to. I love roller coasters and Kings Island just as much as I used to, so hopefully I will have time in the future to be like I used to. Thanks for bringing this topic back to life, it brought back a lot of great memories!

• Like 2