Zodiac Why Was It Removed?

Stitch

I think the maintenance was very costly. I know they were originally going to replace it with a Drop ride. They had a sign up saying "Watch for something to fall in this space" years ago. Obviously it happened to "drop" at the other end of the park.

Edited by pkirulz88

Zodiac was removed from Coney Mall for a few reasons. It was added in 1975, when Coney Mall was expanded. It was removed prior to 1990 when Flight Commander was added in it's spot.

Zodiac was an Intamin double-armed ferris wheel. It was costly to maintain, and held very little interest for guests. The ride was relocated to PKI's sister park Wonderland Sydney where it still operates today.

The que for the ride was located in front of it just off of the midway. The que someone mentioned seeing near the laser tag building is actually the former que for the Cinema 180 attraction that was once located in that building. The Zodiac's que was removed when Flight Commander was added.

Flight Comammder is a story in itself, but obviously is not longer at the park. It was an Intamin Sky Pilot ride. It had a unique loading platform that required riders to walk up a spiral staircase from an "underground" que area. The underground que for Flight Commander still exists, although the center spiral staircase entrance has been sealed. The loading platform now houses the Euro Bungee attraction. That is why the Euro Bungees are so high off the midway, the loading platform (from the former Flight Commander attraction) on which they sit actually has a que house underneath it.

In 1996, a season after Flight Commander had been removed, a sign was placed in the empty ride location for about a month. The sign said "Look for a new ride dropping in next season." That spot was originally supposed to house a much smaller Intamin Drop Tower called.... what else?....Drop Zone.

But the attraction was cancelled and installed at another Paramount Park instead. The park decided to expand the waterpark the next season and held off installing a drop ride until 1999. I am glad they did, because in the in-between time, Intamin developed the Gyro Drop... which is what PKI's Drop Zone is. Much bigger and much grander than what PKI would have initially installed. But, if the original location and concept of Drop Zone had come true, then it would have meant that 3 different Intamin flat rides would have occupied the same spot at KI.

Shaggy

Edited by Shaggy

I would love to see a giant Ferris Wheel go back in that spot. Could you imagine the view from the top of it. The Racer flying by on one side of you The Vortex on the other side and you could see the whole Coney Mall midway from the top of it. Plus the Ferris Wheel is a stapel for most parks and it would fit perfect in that part of the park.

The underground que for Flight Commander still exists, although the center spiral staircase entrance has been sealed.

When I was reading this, I was thinking, "What? Did someone die in there?" You have probily heard things like, "The room has been sealed up because of the incident." Like the room was haunted. :o

(I know no one died in there.)

Ummm..., wander what Drop Zone would of looked like there? :huh:

I think It would be cool to get a Gianty Ferris Wheel like at Disneys California Adventure, the Sun Wheel with a couple of stationary gondolas and the rest of them swing on a guided track!I think it would be fun for just about everyone !!!

Go to www.Disneyland.com, find California Adventures area and look for Sun Wheel!

Edited by PKICoasterFreek