Diamondback Testing - Photos and Video, First Ride Auction, Vote For KICentral & More!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope it's working this well during the season. It looks incredibly fast for going over the hills and rampaging through the course. I'm not sure if the trims are on/off along with the MCBr. Though it's still cold out and the train's full of water dummies....

My dad (the one who loves coasters, and rode Magnum, TTD and MF) watched it and looked a little scared.

My mom (the one who rode Racer many, many moons ago and decided "never again") watched it and says it looks amazing.

:lol:

Hm, talk about bass ackwards.

My dad (the one who loves coasters, and rode Magnum, TTD and MF) watched it and looked a little scared.

My mom (the one who rode Racer many, many moons ago and decided "never again") watched it and says it looks amazing.

:lol:

Hm, talk about bass ackwards.

Not really. The intent of steel hypers is to as much as possible duplicate and perhaps even improve the ride experience of riding a big, air-time filled, wooden coaster...but with steel. See also the first of these, but by B and M, Magnum....

The spiritual opposite would be the wood plug n plays like El Toro, that seem to duplicate the steel ride experience sans loops but with wood!

That's weird. My fiancee (who loves coasters and has ridden the same CP coasters as your dad) has told me that she's kind of freaked out by the look of it. I wonder what it is about DB that's freaking some people out.

I can answer that...the incredibly intense looking camelback hills. If you have a lot of coaster experience, you can just look at that thing and KNOW it's going to be darn good. Then again, Son of Beast has that one incredible looking camelback that does exactly....nothing. This won't be like that, though. I still grieve everytime I look at that SOB hill. If everything else about that ride was peachy-keen, I'd still regret that John Milleresque looking hill that fails to deliver.

What is actually making people nervous (myself included) is the fact that the DB trains are completely open. Not only do you have a LOT of space between yourself and fellow riders, but there is absolutely no "car" surrounding you to speak of. You will be able to simply openly glance to your side and watch the ground getting smaller... and smaller... and smaller. What makes this more intense and intimidating than even Dominator is.. even though Dominator is floorless, one still has their co-riders in very close proximity whereas here... its all you baby. I have no problems admitting Im a wuss when it comes to heights, and I can pretty much guarantee I will have my eyes closed for the duration of the lift hill climb simply becasue of that exposed feeling.

. I'm not sure if the trims are on/off along with the MCBr. Though it's still cold out and the train's full of water dummies....

It is. If you listen really close during the video you can hear it and when we were shooting it you could hear it as it pulled through that section.

I know I am somewhat in the minority in my opinion on this, but Apollo's Chariot is by far my least favorite B & M hypercoaster, followed closely by Raging Bull, perhaps the coaster that I was most excited about then most disappointed with compared to what I expected. ALL the others I have ridden have been splendid, without exception.

^You are not alone. I thought Apollo's Chariot was fun but not what everyone else said it was going to be. I don't remember it much but I remember getting off of it and not being disappointed but let down form what I heard about it. I have been on Nitro and Apollo's Chariot and I liked Nitro a lot better.

And as was said a few posts above yours Hank, the mid course brakes were slowing the train down slightly as it passed through. I believe that there might even be a set of magnetic trims up there to slow it down some, which (like on The Beast) cannot be turned off or adjusted.

I know I am somewhat in the minority in my opinion on this, but Apollo's Chariot is by far my least favorite B & M hypercoaster, followed closely by Raging Bull, perhaps the coaster that I was most excited about then most disappointed with compared to what I expected. ALL the others I have ridden have been splendid, without exception.

Oh and also, Apollo's Chariot and Raging Bull were B&M's first Hypers so there's a little bit of understanding there on my part. But hey, B&M is still amazing no matter what.

Raging Bull is a great ride. I still stand by that. Now...Iron Wolf on the other hand...

I have probably watched the video between 15-20 times now and I have a few observations.

The back row rightside seat is my pick for what looks to be the best seat.

The headchopper looks like it will be great at the bottom of the 2nd hill entering in to the 3rd.

The pause after the second helix and before the drop in to the splashdown reminds me of the pause after the helix on BLSC.

At these speeds over the tops of the hills, this could be an airtime monster.

I think the trim before the MCBR does more than the MCBR.

^ I concur. The hammerhead doesn't look like it's anything but a change of direction when you're standing off-ride but on-ride, and in that seat in particular, it's amazingly fun. I was at Canadas Wonderland this past October and I noticed that most of the enthusiasts/park veterans headed immediately to those back seats. The lines for that seat were as long or longer than the lines for the front, but again, with good reason!