What's the scariest ride you've ridden at KI?

KIDreamer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fly-O-Planes at Lake Winnie. Just because I got the am I gonna die factor. You try squeezing two guys around 200lbs in those things then get it stuck upside down I kept hoping for the ride to end which ended up being a very long cycle. Metal bar across your lap holding you in with 200lbs pressing against you on one side and looking at the little cotter pin keeping the door closed. Definitely not the scariest looking ride but those circumstances freaked me out a bit.

For me it would be Top Thrill Dragster, I was excited and pumped(back in '03 in July). But when I saw it up and close the Intimidation factor came into effect. I went though with it, and I lost all the fear. Second would have to be Griffon, it looks bigger in person than it does in the pictures.

Drop Tower.

I used to have a paralyzing fear of heights to where I wouldn't even get on an observation tower. My ex thought it would be cute to drag me on it. By the time we got to the top, I was in tears and screaming every cussword I knew upside down and backwards at him.

Millennium Force also scared the garbage out of me on my first CP trip, because I was still afraid of heights at the time. The highest coaster I'd been on before that was Vortex, and when it hit me how high up we were going, I had a panic attack on the train as it was leaving the station. I even closed my eyes at the top of the hill for a second or two.

MF destroyed my fear of riding anything after that, except Skyscraper, which darn near had me wishing I had a diaper on my first ride. I was fine until my friend who was a ride op on it took my seat and spun it in a series of 360s on my first ride.. I was screaming cusswords at him.

The hilarious thing is, all three are now topping my list of favorite rides.

Drop Zone...never again.

I assume you are either, Scared of heights (Acrophobia), or you are still a bit leary of the Kentucky Kingdom incident. Some people just have different tastes. Me, i love Drop Tower, i have to ride it a minimum of five times when i visit.

The scariest ride for me would probably have to be The Ferris Wheel at Kentucky Kingdom when i was about 10. I used to be petrified of heights and i hated Ferris Wheels. I was down in the floor basically i was so scared. Now they dont bother me at all and i have overcome my fear of heights.

I will NEVER, as long as I live, make anyone I know go on something they do not want to ride. I've seen people get sick to their stomach and have panic attacks on things they did not want to ride. Once or twice I've even seen a fight break out afterward because the person was so ticked that their "friend" forced them on the ride and they hated it. It is not funny, and it is certainly not being respectful of that person.

Drop Tower (was still Drop Zone when I rode it).

I rode it once in '05, and then tried it again in '06. I put it in the same category as Delerium and Invertigo. I wasn't terrified on them, just glad when the ride was over and I could get out of it. I really enjoy roller coasters, and find the fear/exhilaration trade-off to be worth it. Those three rides just aren't fun for me.

Um ... the Eiffel Tower.

Drop Tower scares me, but not as much as the Eiffel Tower. I'm terrified of heights, and something about the complete openness of the Eiffel Tower, with the fact that I know I'm not going to be back on the ground in a matter of seconds, is absolutely petrifying. I went up in it for the first time in at least 10 years this year for pictures and I am perfectly content waiting another 10 years to go back up it. I do not find it enjoyable, whereas I can find Drop Tower somewhat enjoyable.

Second would, honestly, be Viking Fury. I will not ride it. It has nothing to do with the one at KI or any park, actually, but I do not ride viking ships anywhere. I had a traumatic experience on one in a carnival as a child and I'm perfectly content not getting on them ever again.

Strangely, I find the first drop of a tall coaster to be absolutely exhilarating. TTD, Millennium Force, Son of Beast, and I'm sure Diamondback will be the same - sitting in the front seat with that small bit of dangle time you get waiting for the back of the train to let you go over ... I love it.

I think Drop Tower because still to this day when im waiting at the top I have no idea when it ganna drop. My adrenaline up there is always going hard even after like 10m i can still feel my heart beating fast but, I love it.

Nothing scares me, but Slingshot made me nervous!

If you're scared of Drop Tower, try going to Australia and taking a ride on Giant Drop...a 420ft Drop Tower...you hit nearly 100mph on the way down! Now that was an experience of a lifetime.

Xtreme Skyflier. I've always said that I don't necessarily have a fear of heights, but I do have a fear of unsupported heights. What I mean by this is, I'm fine with things like coasters, Drop Tower, Eiffel Tower, etc. because I feel secure in those. Slingshot is even fine, because I'm strapped into a steel ball. But anytime I don't feel secure is when I have problems. I don't completely freak out, but I get very uncomfortable. The most common of these times for me is climbing a tall ladder. Or Ferris Wheels. Or ski lifts. And the most extreme of all is Xtreme Skyflier.

Going up, looking straight down at the ground, with nothing between you and the ground but the thin harness, suspended from a wire, just going up up up while everything below you gets smaller and smaller and smaller. 2 out of the 3 times I've ridden it, I've pulled the ripcord. After pulling it, I always get the illusion that we hang there for a second before we start falling, like time has stopped. Then the rush of air as you seemingly go headfirst towards the ground, then start swinging out over the midway. A truly unsettling experience, but one that I LOVE. :wub: If it wasn't a pay attraction, I'd be doing this over and over again (but then if you didn't have to pay, the line would be horrendous). Maybe they'll have the $5 Sunday rides for Gold Pass holders again this year. If so, I might just have to hit that up again for the first time in about 6 years.

And I still do Ferris Wheels and ski lifts too... just for the thrill.

Xtreme Skyflier. I've always said that I don't necessarily have a fear of heights, but I do have a fear of unsupported heights. What I mean by this is, I'm fine with things like coasters, Drop Tower, Eiffel Tower, etc. because I feel secure in those. Slingshot is even fine, because I'm strapped into a steel ball. But anytime I don't feel secure is when I have problems. I don't completely freak out, but I get very uncomfortable. The most common of these times for me is climbing a tall ladder. Or Ferris Wheels. Or ski lifts. And the most extreme of all is Xtreme Skyflier.

Going up, looking straight down at the ground, with nothing between you and the ground but the thin harness, suspended from a wire, just going up up up while everything below you gets smaller and smaller and smaller. 2 out of the 3 times I've ridden it, I've pulled the ripcord. After pulling it, I always get the illusion that we hang there for a second before we start falling, like time has stopped. Then the rush of air as you seemingly go headfirst towards the ground, then start swinging out over the midway. A truly unsettling experience, but one that I LOVE. :wub: If it wasn't a pay attraction, I'd be doing this over and over again (but then if you didn't have to pay, the line would be horrendous). Maybe they'll have the $5 Sunday rides for Gold Pass holders again this year. If so, I might just have to hit that up again for the first time in about 6 years.

And I still do Ferris Wheels and ski lifts too... just for the thrill.

Funny I have the same view of those rides, but more the chair lift and skyflier rides. All the years growing up on the farm I can't count how many times I have snaped a steel cable, yet you want me to trust my life to it. Thats why I have always been a little unnerved on those rides. Also Zodiac or the Giant Wheel at Hershey always made me uneasy because the gondola is held on with nothing more than what appears to be a logging chain. Once again I have seen those fail so I was always a little uneasy.

Ferris Wheel at CP. No joke, it terrified me because I knew that at any moment I could open the door. I prefer to be strapped into a ride unable to remove the safety devices.

That, and ski lifts. Back in December, I went to Snowshoe with my friends who are all avid skiers and I am a beginner. I terrified me every time we got on a lift, and nobody put down the safety bar.

Ferris Wheel at CP. No joke, it terrified me because I knew that at any moment I could open the door. I prefer to be strapped into a ride unable to remove the safety devices.

That, and ski lifts. Back in December, I went to Snowshoe with my friends who are all avid skiers and I am a beginner. I terrified me every time we got on a lift, and nobody put down the safety bar.

I'm afraid of the ferris wheel at CP too. It's kind of like the Eiffel Tower, I did it once for pictures at sunset and I'm perfectly content not doing it again. I'm also terrified of the Sky Ride but I'll ride it because I'm lazy. It got stuck for about an hour while I was there last summer (I wasn't on it at the time, thankfully - that probably would have caused a panic attack) and I swore after seeing that I wouldn't ride it again ... I rode it twice later that day...

Back when I didn't like roller coasters in 1998, I was SCARED TO DEATH to ride The Beast. That was probably the worst roller coaster ride I've ever been on. Ironically, it's been my favorite ride at KI for about a decade. I've also been apprehensive and didn't like the ride experiences on Drop Zone/Tower and Delirium.

Personally I used to always find Skylab pretty scary. Dont get me wrong, I would ride it but something about the fact that you just sat inside the cage with no real restraint other than the 4 walls surrounding you always made me a bit uneasy.

As far as Skyflyer goes, I love it. I've definitely ridden the one at Kings Island over 100 times (not joking). There was a period where I was riding it daily. I've also ridden the 300ft Skycoaster in Kissimee several times; it was a lot of fun but not necessarily scary. The only Skycoaster I ever found scary was the one at Kennywood. it's a single A-frame Skycoaster that is around 50ft or so taller than Kings Island. The problem is their operations team is severly below average. I was a Site Controller for several years at KI and when they saw that at Kennywood, they had me suit myself up and the people I was with (huge no no). However I would have insisted on doing it anyway because I would not have trusted their team to do it correctly. Kennywood was the only Skycoaster where I ever felt as though something could go wrong. In addition several of my visits to Kennywood were during Phantom Fright Nights and during those events, they place several fog machines under the scissor lift that spray so much that is nearly impossible for the operators in the flight area to see the flyers; another huge no no.

Drop Tower- I have passed out twice on it. The first time I blamed it on the heat, the second time I figured it was because I couldnt breath, I never ride it anymore.

Skyfly------ I rode it only once and hated it, I cryed all the way up and then I freaked out when we were swinging, I got off the ride shaking and not able to stand. It took 4 people to hold me up just so they could unhook me from the harnest...

Those two ride i will never ever ride again.