New Roller Coasters To Make Debut in 2009

The Interpreter

Gee, I wonder what got top billing:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attr...69.photogallery

Watch the show!

Hint:

... "This allows all the riders to experience an unobstructed view," said ...[the] public relations manager for the park. They say: "It's what our guests have been wanting," [he] said. "It's big, it's fast, it's steel."...

(names deleted to protect the famous, and make guess harder, tee hee)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is where the box went! :lol:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Size does not necessarily equal goodness. See Cornball Express, for example. Or Avalanche at Timber Falls Adventure Golf in Wisconsin, or Cyclops in that same town, or Comet at The Great Escape in New York State...and on and on and on....

Yeah your right though they made it seem like the big part of the ride.

"85 Feet Tall"

...beast of a coaster....

...ground hugging....

....terrain twisting....

...unleashed....

...and the box...

have they NO shame?

Sigh. Someone should call the boss.

They are obviously assuming that very few people in the Kansas City area are old or well-traveled enough to notice what is, to us, a shameless copy...

Size does not necessarily equal goodness. See Cornball Express, for example. Or Avalanche at Timber Falls Adventure Golf in Wisconsin, or Cyclops in that same town, or Comet at The Great Escape in New York State...and on and on and on....

"85 Feet Tall"

We lose perspective sometimes. Do you realize there are many, many small towns in America without a building anywhere near that tall? That's almost nine stories tall!

"85 Feet Tall"

We lose perspective sometimes. Do you realize there are many, many small towns in America without a building anywhere near that tall? That's almost nine stories tall!

Also remember that Raven's largest drop is 85 feet and its speed is 48mph (acording to rcdb). And, IMO, the Golden Ticket Award sign proudly displayed on its side as you walk into HW is very well deserved.

"85 Feet Tall"

well the lift hill and first drop are usually the biggest part of a roller coaster. ;) (or at least ones that have lift hills)

What is happening to us? Are parks expecting people to be wowed at a ride that's 85 feet tall? :wacko:

SOB is over twice as tall as Thunderhead which would you prefer?

So glad to see GCI doing an out n back terrain coaster. While yeah the wording makes it seem very Beast like it moves far differently than The Beast. Besides same parent company, they could call it The Beast if they had wanted just be glad they didn't do that.

I prefer Son of Beast to Thunderhead.... :ph34r: plz don't shoot me

But I also agree height isn't always everything.

Although I haven't been to Dollywood yet, I know for a Fact I would prefer SOB over Thundehead. I would prefer SOB over any other wooden coaster in the world except Balder, T-Express, Voyage, El Toro, and Colossos at Heide park.

Although I haven't been to Dollywood yet, I know for a Fact I would prefer SOB over Thundehead. I would prefer SOB over any other wooden coaster in the world except Balder, T-Express, Voyage, El Toro, and Colossos at Heide park.

WOW, thats a pretty bold statement.....what makes those rides so special? I'm glad SOB has a few fans, but personally I'd rather see the thing torched....its definitely in my bottom 10 out of over 100 wooden coasters ridden :-/. In any event, you can't state for a fact that you would prefer SOB to any other wooden coaster in the world, how could you possibly until you've actually ridden them?

- Todd, who had a horrible last ride on SOB.....

I'm sure many of us like myself have had the opportunity to have ridden both. I am not against SOB I actually love the coaster, but for fun elements and a non stop pace I give the edge to Thunerhead. I do think some of the other ones mentioned sound great too but I can't give a fair opinion on those, quite possible they would knock down my view of Thunderhead. But again, I can't give a fair opinion on it.

WOW, thats a pretty bold statement.....what makes those rides so special? I'm glad SOB has a few fans, but personally I'd rather see the thing torched....its definitely in my bottom 10 out of over 100 wooden coasters ridden :-/. In any event, you can't state for a fact that you would prefer SOB to any other wooden coaster in the world, how could you possibly until you've actually ridden them?

- Todd, who had a horrible last ride on SOB.....

Yeah, it sounds like someone's been spending too much time over at Theme Park Review. I have seen from their videos that Robb Alvey loves those woodies that you mentioned (well except SOB).

http://www.themeparkreview.com/videos/thunderheadvideo.htm

But Thunderhead doesn't look that shabby either.

I've gotta get down to ride Thunderhead sometime this summer.

I was told that Mystery Mine at Dollywood is better than Maverick. Maverick is one of my top coasters because of its non-stop action and quick pace.

However, I guess I should take the person's word for it... after all, he is a "Captain."

^Watch a POV of Mystery Mine and you'll see it has neither non-stop action (many block segments/brakes) nor quick pace (except possibly the finale).

Now I'm not trying to say MM is a bad coaster at all...I'm just saying that, with the exception of the beyond-90* drop and and perhaps some close-to-the-ground curves, they appear to be very different coasters in terms of style. Perhaps someone who's been on both can help confirm/deny, but it just doesn't seem fair to me to compare the two. It feels like comparing BLSC and FoF because they both launch and have a dark part... :-/

How do you know that for a fact? You have never been to the park let alone ridden the ride.

I think you're severely underestimating Thunderhead. I've been on quite a few wooden coasters and it is my firm belief that the best 3 wooden coasters are (in no particular order) Thunderhead, the Voyage, and Giant Dipper (at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk). I also often include Screechin' Eagle as I've still never been on another coaster with such pure airtime. Still though I have definitely not been on all wooden coasters out there I prefer not to make bold decisions about those that I have not yet experienced, especially on with such great reviews.

Also I dont consider Mystery Mine to be just a Roller Coaster, it's more of a fully emersive themed roller coaster experience; similar to that of Expedition Everest or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. The ride actually tells a story and makes you part of it and allows you to feel emotions based on what you see around you.

Wow I'm going to say that is pretty darn bold but I highly suggest you going and riding thunderhead as it is simply wonderful(definatly better than SOB in my opinion). While The Beast is my sentimental favorite wood coaster, I have to admit to myself the thunderhead is the better ride.

I learned long ago to listen to others' coaster and park opinions, but, unless I know that person very, very well and know we have virtually the same coaster tastes (and I know of only one person that is true of as to steel, another and different person as to wood...and my park tastes are so unique, I've found no one I totally agree with on that one), to not totally trust those opinions and instead insist on finding out for myself. I learned this, as to parks especially, the very hard way.

You see, for many, many years enthusiasts of virtually every stripe and persuasion told me how awful Great Adventure was, what a dump it was, how dangerous it was, how poorly run it was, and how much I would hate it. I didn't go. For years and years and years. I could have, I chose not to.

Then, in 1998, I finally got there. And found what is to this day a park I adore that so many others loved, and some still love, to hate. Before El Toro. Before Kingda Ka. Before Nitro. But what coasters, experiences, and yes, probably even friends, I have missed because of my then stubborn insistence on listening to others...No more, not ever.

After that experience, and knowing how much I despised Disney and all things mouse, I talked a generous friend here into taking me with him to Walt Disney World. And found yet again that the anti-Mouse opinions of some of my relatively elitist and snobbish friends were, for me, simply wrong. I adored it. So much so we later went to Disneyland and the Southern California parks. And to this day I am a huge Disney fan, particularly of the California parks.

If you adore Son of Beast, more power to you, I respect that. But don't judge rides you haven't ridden yet or parks you have yet to experience. There is no way you can know what you will think of them.

After reading this thread I was trying to figure out a way to say exactly what terpy said but after reading his post there is no way to top that so right on Terpy. The only thing I would add as it pertains to me is, What I liked in my younger years is different that what I like as I am getting a bit older but still young at heart.

Well the prowler really doesn't look that bad guys, IMO people here in Ohio have very high expectations for rollercoasters, but we are in most peoples opinion, the roller coaster capitol of the world, and If you read about the prowler, it never loses speed because of it's design. And if i remember corectly, Cedar Fair also used the "box" for Diamondback