New Roller Coasters To Make Debut in 2009

The Interpreter

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am old enough to know when a certain park advertised itself as the Roller Coaster Capital of the World. A place in West Miflin, Pennsylvania, it was and is. And a ride called Thunderbolt greatly contributed to that. Quantity does not necessarily indicate quality. It may, it may not. There's America's Roller Coast and there's The Roller Coaster Capital of the World. Once upon a time, there was even Where The Magic of the Movies Meets The Thrills of A Lifetime. Or even "Where all the thrills are Paramount." Saying it doesn't necessarily make it true.

IMO people here in Ohio have very high expectations for rollercoasters, but we are in most peoples opinion, the roller coaster capitol of the world

Not only does Ohio have KI and CP (two of the highest attended parks in the country) but the Cincinnati area is home to arguably the best wooden coaster firm (the Gravity Group) and manufactures the steel for arguably the best steel coaster firm (B&M).

Well I wasn`t around when the "Come on, get happy!" was used. But I know what that is in reference to. I also remember the park that used to proclaim "Where fun is easy." That park has a new slogan that surely gets in the heads of people and leaves them wondering just what the park has.

Not to mention the tough times companies and people are now facing. During the Great Depression and thereafter, hundreds of parks closed. One should be pleased and thrilled that any new rides are being constructed. Things may well get far worse before they get better, or not. The last thing one should do, in my humble opinion, is take the attitude of "If you can't build a megacoaster, don't bother." Target markets for parks don't think like that, and if you do, you are very apt to be disappointed.

What is happening to us? Are parks expecting people to be wowed at a ride that's 85 feet tall? :wacko:

Rides don't have to be tall or scary to be fun. One of my favorite rides ever is Lightning Racer at Hershey Park. It is just plain fun.

This is assuming riding Lightning, correct?? Otherwise, Thunder's a little too bumpy to be fun.

What is happening to us? Are parks expecting people to be wowed at a ride that's 85 feet tall? :wacko:

Rides don't have to be tall or scary to be fun. One of my favorite rides ever is Lightning Racer at Hershey Park. It is just plain fun.

This is assuming riding Lightning, correct?? Otherwise, Thunder's a little too bumpy to be fun.

I rode the one that went to the right out of the station. This was a couple of years ago. If that's Lightning, then that is the one I rode. :)

When I went to Knotts last February, I rode Ghostrider and wasn't expecting too much because it wasn't that tall and it wasn't The Beast. It turned out to be my number 2 woodie.

So I, personally, wouldn't count out a ride just because it doesn't tower over everything else. I also learned that just because a coaster is tall, doesn't make it a good ride, from riding Mean Streak. No offense to those that like it, but I can't handle the brain rattling effect that it has on me, and I like SOB.

Unfortunately, I haven't been to Dollywood or Holiday World to experience these other coasters that a lot of people really like. I hope to change that within the next couple of years!

Small rides that surprised the hell out of me:

Maverick

Cyclops

Opa!

Big rides that were a huge letdown:

X

SoB

Superman: The Escape

Of course, the ride I consider top on my list isn't that big. Hades is just a decent height, but darn is that drop into the tunnel amazing.

^^^^thats a bit wierd, because for me, the meanstreak never gave me a headache, it actualy threw me off my seat and onto the lap restraint....but The Beast gives me a headache on that last helix (with the wooden tunnel thing), but i still love that ride, it's beastly!

Where did you ride on each? The front seats of cars on Mean Streak are the smoothest, while the middle seats of cars on The Beast are the smoothest. This since Beast has three bench trains and Mean Streak two bench trains. Being PTC classic wood coaster trains, the last row of each car is over the wheels. Seating position (over or not over the wheels) is critical on these coasters.

I have had opportunities to go to Holiday World through work, but I haven't been able to make it. They send me an invitation to go on a tour and enjoy the park for the rest of the day. The drive is just so boring for me and I don't want to do it by myself. That is a big reason for me not going.

I am going to just have to suck it up and make the trip over there.

Really off topic, but... I am going to Vegas at the end of this month. I have ridden the the Big Shot on top of Stratosphere, but not the other rides up there. Has anyone rode them before and can give me a take on them?

Yes. If you have an intense fear of heights, you will not want to do any of the others. One is a mild form of Scrambler, but goes out over the edge of the tower and then tilts the car downwards so you can see straight down to the ground. Another is a teeter totter type attraction, where the car rushes wildly back and forth as the teeter...totters. It goes over the edge of the tower, as well...and has a hole in the floor in front of the front seat...which is, of course, Terpy's favorite seat. A stop at the end of the teeter totter stops the ride, which otherwise seems as if it might well keep right on going...over the edge.

The rides would be utterly unamazing if they were on the ground. They aren't.

Both are, in my opinion, best experienced at night.

Thanks for the fast reply...

I am not afraid of heights, so I should have a good time on these. Even though I will be doing it solo, my bf probably won't even go to the top with me!

I agree with you about Big Shot, thinking it wouldn't be as thrilling if it were on the ground.