Busch Gardens Africa

Hey Guys, I was writing because I'm going to Tampa in about three weeks. So, this means I'll get a rare chance to travel to a park out of state. We're going to be just a few miles from Busch Gardens Africa, and I've wanted to go there for a while. Any advice or tips for my visit? I know Shiekra is a must, but what about the other coasters? How about food? What is the best and most satisfying value? Any help would be appreciated. I'm just really excited about the trip.

Also, recently we've decided to visit Seaworld Orlando as well. Any advice there? I know I'll be missing Manta by a few months, but I really just want to experience the park. I've never been to Seaworld either. Even when there was one in Cleveland, I still didn't get to make the trip up from Columbus.

Great choice in visiting Busch Gardens Tampa and Seaworld Orlando. You will have a great time.

First, Busch Gardens Tampa is an amazing park, you will be very pleased you made the trip. The park has an excelent collection of coasters especially those by B&M

Montu- excelent inverted coaster by B&M. Has some unique features like how the coaster dives through various ruins and trenches, the Immelmann is excelent especially if sitting in the front seat because it heads straight at a wall before reversing course. Also when you pull out of the station check out the alligators/crocidiles bellow your feet, yes they are real.

Kumba- another great creation by B&M, great sit down multilooper. Has the classic vertical loop over the lift hill and the interlocking corkscrews. I can't believe this coaster is 16 years old and still runs great. Also more intense than some of the newer B&M loopers. Also Kumba means "roar" and boy does this baby roar.

SheiKra- The thrid member of the B&M trifecta and its a beauty. Especially now that it is floorless like its sister Griffon. The first drop is great especially with the hold before you drop and the second vertical drop in to the ruins is great, kind of nerveracking because the walls close in quickly. Very unique coaster over all and has a great water splash like Diamondback will have.

Scorpion- The Scorpion might look small but it packs one heck of a ride. A great Schwarzkopf Silverarrow looper that has some great forces and is a fast compact ride. Also only has lap bars. I think this coaster is overlooked because of its bigger B&M brethern, but dont miss it.

Gwazi- Gwazi is mass of twisting wood designed by GCI, the same folks that have brought us great woodies like Thunderhead, Lightning Racer and Kentucky Rumbler, yet Gwazi has a love hate relationship with enthusiasts. The two different tracks are Lion and Tiger, each offering a different experience and during the ride there are 6 near misses. I enjoy Gwazi quite a bit, but some folks cant stand it. Still its a unique experience and a great change of pace from the smoothness of B&M goodness.

Cheetah Chase - is a great little Mack Wild Mouse that was relocated from BGE. I always enjoy a wild mouse coaster and normally scream louder than the little kids on these rides. Just the sharp turns and out of control feeling.

Final two rides I will talk about are Rhino Rally and Tanganyika Tidal Wave. Let me just say that Rhino Rally is very unique and a must for anyone, especially the surprise ending. Tidal Wave is absolutely the wetest ride I have ever been on. Great boat ride.

While at the park dont miss the numerous animal exhibts, especially the Serengeti. Absolutely amazing environments and especially the fact that the coasters look like the fit in perfectly.

For dinning I highly recomend the Crown Colony. Ask for a table by the windows and you will have an amazing view of the Serengeti while you dine. The food is excelent and the price is not too bad. Honestly one of my favorite theme park resturants, especially now that the Enchanted Oak Tavern is no more at IOA.

Hope that helps and enjoy.

^ Excellent overview. I'm pretty sure that they removed the alligators from the pit as you exit the Montu station, though, or at least they weren't there the last few trips I've taken. I'll also second the Crown Colony restaurant as a great getaway from the hustle and bustle and provides wonderful views of the park.

Quick note, get to the park as early as possible and avoid Gwazi and Montu as your first rides. Most people see them first as they enter the park and it's a good idea to work to the back of the park first to work against the regular crowd flow. I'd recommend hitting Sheikra first (this assumes that section of the park is open at opening...there are times they open that section 1/2 hour later than the rest of the park), then Kumba and then work your way back to the front hitting everything else.

Have a great trip!

Yes, definitely hit the Crown Colony. It is extremely relaxing, the views are amazing, and the food is good.

When I went in the middle of July this past summer the only rides with significant waits were Sheikra and the Stanley Falls log flume. We rode Gwazi once....we were the only people on either of the two trains racing at the time. Needless to say, it clearly isn't a fan favorite.

Both Busch Gardens and Seaworld are great parks. Most people have already talked about the great lineup of coasters. What the parks lack in quantity they more than make up for in quality. As far as food goes, I would recommend Zambia Smokehouse if you are in the mood for BBQ. They have excellent smoked ribs, chicken, and brisket. The price is also fairly reasonable as well. I normally order the combination plate with all 3 meats, coleslaw, fries, and corn bread for under $15.00. It is big enough to split or be a single meal for the day. I will have it then go get something small at Wendy's just outside the park on the way back to the hotel.

If you have the time, I would also recommend you consider taking in some of the live shows. Katanga is an excellent stage show that is on par if not better than most of the shows at Disney. I would also recommend taking the sky ride over the savanah and the train ride. They are nice relaxing rides to get from 1 side of the park to the other.

The 1 thing that is different about Busch Gardens Africa compared to a park like Kings Island is that Busch Gardens is not set up as a hub and spoke park. There is only 1 major path around the park with no way to good way to short cut between areas. That makes criss crossing the park a lot of walking.

At Seaworld, there are only 3 major rides, Journey to Atlantis, a water ride; Kraken, a B&M Floorless; and Wild Arctic, A simulator ride. The park is a good place to relax. The shows are very good. I would just warn you about Shamu. They are not kidding about the splash zone. He is much bigger than the one that was in Cleveland and is in a bigger pool so he can drench large portions of the seating area when he splashes.

Thanks a lot for all the great info.... I will take it into consideration. I hope that the friend I'm going with will take it as well. Just as it is tradition not to ride Raptor first I will again try to avoid the mad dash a BGE and not ride the coasters at the front. Most importantly, I really want the trip to go well for everyone. However, breaking the winter blues of no coaster riding will be a plus.

My girlfriend and the other person we will be going with are not enthusiasts. So, they were a little confused when I wanted specifically a few rides on scorpion. I've never experienced a Schwarzkopf looper. Due to my trip to Dorney being cancelled last summer and Laser being sold last year, I thought I wouldn't get to experience one.

I used to live an hour and a half a way from Busch Gardens. Timing is key to getting the most rides on everything. This time of year shouldn't be too busy I went everyday during spring break last year and everything was a walk on all but one day. Which was Sunday. You have to watch the shows! They are in my opinion top notch. I am also planning a trip to Florida in June. We are buying the 6 park flex ticket. Its well worth the money so if you have more than one park you are wanting to visit then I'd say look into the flex tickets. Also when you buy your Busch Gardens ticket It's good for the entire year. Which means say for some unforeseen reason the park is really busy and you can't ride everything in one day you can come back for free the next day. If you have any other questions about Florida or even that are. Just drop me a pm. I lived there for 6 years I know quite a bit about it.

You are going to have a great time! Enjoy...and I agree with all the advice given so far. Let me add only that Scorpion and Kumba are among my favorite rides on this earth, the smoke house in the park is great, and the best hot dog place I have ever been in south of New Jersey is in Tampa, within a stone's throw (but not a walk) of the park:

http://www.melshotdogs.com/

Enjoy!