Hey Avatar, Question about I-74!

tigellinus

I don't think this is Off Topic since it does relate directly to KI, but us "little's" have no control over the Mods!

But anyway, since I believe you've said in the past you semi-frequently drive 74 from Indy to Cincy for business, I wanted to ask you how things look there road construction wise, and if you think there should be clear sailing this April and May? (or are there any signs for future work?)

I know around the new Honda plant there's always minor stuff happening, and thankfully a lot of 74 resurfacing has already happened in the past few years, so hopefully the KI drive 74-wise should be good this spring and summer!!

Also, what's going on with I-275 on the west side? I'm doubting major work has wrapped up, but do you know or foresee any major lane restrictions (like in years past), which might result in taking the Reagan to 71 again?

I have a good friend in Landen who I usually see in the off-season, BUT given D-back I've been saving those visit "coupons" to crash there for later this year.

Also, anyone else with any other knowledge about this particular passage way feel free to jump in!!

I am obviously not Avatar, and he probably drives 74 more often than I do, but I get onto 74 at Greensburg. The past couple of times that I have been to KI (1/31 & 2/28, thanks to you, I believe) there hasn't been any construction going on.

I do remember 275W having construction and it being a bit congested on the way home, but maybe that will be better in a month or two.

Interesting...thanks for the info!

275W is starting to get ridiculous! I mean, I know in Indy 465 on the west side has been going on forever, but 465 on the east side didn't take as long as 275 is taking, and 465 added multiple new overpasses and exits!

Heck, an entire section of I-70 was completely re-built from scratch in only 8 months time!

I forgot that I should have remembered that nonsense on 74 in Harrison, OH took years for only a small strip of road! <_<

Tigellinus – sorry to be so long to reply, I have a hand held device and typed out a reply earlier today and as I was getting towards the end someone called me and wiped out my post before I could submit it. I thought about retyping it on but thought your question was one I could answer when I got home and could use the regular keyboard and without risk of losing my post again.

To answer your question now;

I-74 has been for the most part clear all winter including the area around the new Honda Plant. During the week they some times have interstate 74 down to one lane while they do some work in the median close to the Honda plant, but it has just been more of a reduced speed with no back-ups and again it is sporadic. As we get closer to Spring anything is possible I have noticed many new median guard rail installments popping up all over the state recently and they are usually quick installations of a week or two.

In the Cincinnati area yes the I-275 is still going on and is much the same as last year although they are making progress. On weekends it seems to flow better and and close to the posted speed limit. During the week I tend to try to avoid the area and definitely use the express lane if I travel in that area. The difference between I-70 construction and I-275 is they closed all ramps and prohibited all Tractor Trailer traffic. Also keep in mind Indiana is flat and most of the roads around Indianapolis run straight north to south and straight east to west. Where as Cincinnati has a more rugged terrain and with many roads twisting around the terrain, you'll find this out if you ever get off the interstate in and around Cincinnati. The I-275 area under construction has a lot of commercial business and would make closing that hi-way off to Tractor Trailers a major mess and create a bit of chaos. I think as hard as it is to endure I think the improvements and slower progress to keep commercial traffic flowing in the area was necessary.

If I notice any changes in the upcoming months I will post here to tip you and others off.

P.S. Clbehymer thanks for chiming in, now I have a question for you; What did you mean by “obviously” ???

Avatar, scholarly information, and I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond and pass along the knowledge!! :D

Much thanks again, and I hope the lower gas prices of the past few months have helped with your business and driving! (I remember around the time of KIC-The Second last August you mentioning how the high gas prices then were very unpleasant!)

Avatar, I just meant that I am obviously not you since he was directing the question toward you. Notice the differences in name, location, gender, etc...

I think you're just giving me a hard time since I didn't get to hang out with you guys at GWL and Krazy City (I think thats what it is called)! :D