Whats the tallest roller coaster youve ridden

Coaster Kid

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TTD. I thought it was great, but i was disappointed with the lack of airtime at the top of the hill and when going down the hill. just my opinion

I've gotten some amazing airtime in the back on TTD!! Especially when having tons of lapbar space!

For me, Kingda Ka...however, TTD is better...does TTD have the magnetic fins at the top like Ka does? But if you ever ride KK, I beg of you, please only do so in either the orange or blue train! At least for the past two seasons, both green trains have produced skull rattling and migraine-inducing vibrations! Worse than anything on either Maverick or Fahrenheit!

What is the next tallest rollercoaster at Kings Island after Diamondback and SOB?

Check this out http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...p;hl=comparison

Thanks. I remembered seeing that on here a couple weeks ago, but when I searched for it today I couldn't find it.

The tallest rollercoaster I have ever ridden is Vortex. I know, I am very deprived :(

Top Thrill Dragster.

This thread made me investigate what the next highest coasters I've ridden are. I've ridden a total of 6 hypercoasters (Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, Son of Beast, Wicked Twister, Magnum and Goliath at SFOG). Diamondback will be #7.

Top Thrill Dragster.

This thread made me investigate what the next highest coasters I've ridden are. I've ridden a total of 6 hypercoasters (Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, Son of Beast, Wicked Twister, Magnum and Goliath at SFOG). Diamondback will be #7.

Actually, i'm pretty sure TTD is a strata coaster, MF is a Giga coaster, SOB is a wooden coaster, and WT is an inverted impulse coaster, but it depends on how you define "HyperCoaster" ;)

Top Thrill Dragster.

Are TTD and WT considered hypers?

Top Thrill Dragster.

They are 420' and 215' respectively. Though WT is kind of in a category with the Superman rides, as it is not a continuous circuit coaster. TTD is most definitely considered a hypercoaster, though they've coined new phrases for each 100' of height, so it's a stratacoaster by that definition, just as Millie is a gigacoaster.

Top Thrill Dragster.

They are 420' and 215' respectively. Though WT is kind of in a category with the Superman rides, as it is not a continuous circuit coaster. TTD is most definitely considered a hypercoaster, though they've coined new phrases for each 100' of height, so it's a stratacoaster by that definition, just as Millie is a gigacoaster.

I thought they were classified by train/track type, not height. :blink:

Well rcdb refers to TTD as an Accelerator Coaster

http://www.rcdb.com/id1896.htm

And wicked twister as a Twisted Impulse Shuttle Coaster

http://www.rcdb.com/id1571.htm

But I guess you can refer to them as hypers. I have nothing against that.

That's the model, in the way it is listed on RCDB. It lists Magnum XL-200 as an "Arrow Hyper Coaster" and it is one of five of that model, just like Millennium Force is an "Intamin AG Giga Coaster" and Goliath is a "B&M Mega Coaster." You can click on the model in each RCDB listing to view other coasters of the same model. This is handy when you're looking to see something like all Cyclone copies, or Schwatzkopf shuttle loops.

I have always heard the term "hyper" along with "giga" and "strata" in referring to their height classifications. Diamondback is a B&M Mega Coaster like Goliath, but is always referenced as Kings Island's first hypercoaster. Though if you're classifying it by height, Son of Beast is also a hyper, and is actually the only wooden hyper. Hypercoaster is usually a term given to steel continuous circuit coasters, but there's not really a definition of what it is and what it isn't. Like so much in the coaster name/record game, it's up for interpretation. Is ring°racer technically a coaster and therefore a new speed record holder? A lot of people would say yes, but a lot would say no.

The term "hypercoaster" is not typically used now. "Hypercoaster" and "Megacoaster" are the same height classficiations. A "hypercoaster" is something over 200 feet, no loops, and a continuous circuit with a 180 degree turnaround with absolutly no inversions. A "megacoaster" is something over 200 feet and a continuous circuit coaster (it can have inversions).

The term "hypercoaster" is not typically used now. "Hypercoaster" and "Megacoaster" are the same height classficiations. A "hypercoaster" is something over 200 feet, no loops, and a continuous circuit with a 180 degree turnaround with absolutly no inversions. A "megacoaster" is something over 200 feet and a continuous circuit coaster (it can have inversions).

I'd argue that hypercoaster is used more often than megacoaster, and though hypercoaster was coined as a term to describe a 200+ foot non-inverting coaster (such as Magnum, Diamondback, etc), it has become a blanket term along with megacoaster. It's basically all in who says it, but I definitely hear the term hypercoaster more often. In watching shows on TV, which is outside the realm of 'coaster geekdom' that we all tend to live in ( :lol: ), they tend to use hypercoaster more often to describe any 200+ coaster, though I have heard both terms used interchangeably.

I'd say KIFan hit the nail on the head. A lot of the words used to classify coasters have originations from certain types of coasters but have become interchangeably used, so it's all in how you look at it. If you were to ask a member of the GP what the difference between a hypercoaster and a megacoaster is, they'd either look at you blankly or give you a variety of answers.

^And that brings us to the true definition: What ever the manufacture promotes it as is what it is. That is why sites like RCDB.com have such varying definitions from other sites. In other words there is no true definition of any of them, only what the manufacture says it is.

By the way mine is Kingda Ka.