Six Flags Over Georgia PTR

crazypkikid2005

This Past week I had the wonderful pleasure of getting to attend the opening day of Six Flags Over Georgia for the 2009 season. This was an adventure not only because I had never been to SFOG but also because this was my first six flags park in general. Anyway enough gab and on to my trip report.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia010.jpg

We set out early in the morning as we drove our short 45 minute drive to get to the park. As we came around a bend in the highway I spotted my first sight of Goliath.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia011.jpg

Goliath absolutely dominating and is located in the front of the park so it catches your eye immediately.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia012.jpg

The massive helix was located a mere 40 yards or so from our parking spot.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia016.jpg

The skyline of the front of the park mostly consist of Goliath and The Georgia Scorcher but as you can tell Goliath tends to make the Scorcher look tiny.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia021.jpg

The park entrance had a small line building to be let in but it wasn't nearly as long as I expected, especially for opening day.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia020.jpg

The scorcher ran through some test runs and seemed to be heating up! (sorry had to do it)

SixFlagsOverGeorgia022.jpg

Then it was time for the big guy to show off his stuff and show off he did as he tore through the test runs.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia023.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia024.jpg

Pictures can't really do this baby justice but the sheer speed was very evident as it ran through the test runs.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia033.jpg

We were then let in to the park to wait in its entrance area called the Promenade. It was a very nice simple entrance street area but much smaller than KI's or any other park I've been too.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia035.jpg

Bugs, Daffy, and Tweety were on hand to greet guest as they came in.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia038.jpg

People lined up eagerly to run to Goliath. My Friend and I opted for a ride on the Scorcher as we didn't want to take on the main card just yet.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia185.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia141.jpg

Like every stand-up I've been on before it I was generally just not impressed with the Scorcher and I really don't think its the coasters fault as much as it that stand up coaster seem to lack a lot of the intensity that most seated coasters have. That said I felt the Scorcher was a pretty darn good stand-up coaster. After the scorcher we made our way over to the big daddy!

SixFlagsOverGeorgia173.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia044.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia047.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia049-1.jpg

Goliath is located in the USA section of the park which is basically a retro 50's section. I'm still trying to figure how that all fits together but either way i introduce to you Goliath!

SixFlagsOverGeorgia051.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia050.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia042.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia052.jpg

Goliath's lift and first drop are built right over the walkways and provide some great views of the coaster.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia149.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia184.jpg

The first drop on Goliath is a monster especially from the back as you literally float in your seat till you reach the bottom. It was evident very early on that this was going to be one of the better rides i had been on.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia139.jpg

The second hill is airtime machine as are the hills that follow. The ride never lets up as it tears through the helix, a hammerhead and and the final few bunny hills. At the end of this relentless journey it was clear that this was hands down the best steel coaster I had been on. Millennium Force or Magnum have absolutely nothing on the ferocity that Goliath unleashes. The airtime and constant thrill squashes the the turns, height, and speed found especially on Millennium.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia183.jpg

We then headed to the Gotham City section of the park.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia077.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia116.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia117.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia119.jpg

This was my favorite section of the park as they really did a nice job of themeing the area with an industrial rundown look. The biggest flaw was the lack of rides in this area as all they had were three, Batman:The Ride, Mind Bender, and Crime Wave.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia118.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia121.jpg

Batman was the same inverted design that has been copied and built at many six flags parks. It isn't t a bad coaster but nothing special either, especially compared to other inverted coasters.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia132.jpg

Then we rode the wonderful classic Mind Bender! This was the surprise ride of the day for me and easily took second best ride in the park.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia113.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia114.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia123.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia112.jpg

Mind Bender is one of the most fun rides I've ever been on and one specific element on it called a horizontal loop that was one of the more intense elements I've ever been through. Mind Bender is definitely a winner even after 30+ years.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia115.jpg

The green water through out the ride area was a nice touch as well.

.............the report will continue soon............

wow Great photos! I have always been interested in this park. I too enjoy the entrances to most six flags parks. I like how Six Flags New England, Great Adventure, America, and The Great Escape all have those themed entrance streets with the buildings. I have always thought Mind Bender looked like a surprisingly good coaster. Great PTR so far. Keep it coming!

For many reasons, this year will be the first in many a year that my season did not begin with Six Flags Over Georgia (it probably won't begin with Great Adventure either, but what is, is). Your trip report, so far, is absolutely wonderful. Thanks for posting it (and I sure hope a mine train, classic wooden cyclone, and a stand-up drop ride are coming next...and a diesel fired converted steam train--sigh).

Goliath is supposed to be a time machine and takes you to the 1950's I believe. I miss SFOG so much! I haven't been since 07'! I'm so happy to see all the advertisement off of Mindbender's Trains. I can't wait to see what you thought off Ninja, GASM, Acrophobia, and Cyclone! Also, I love the first picture! I remember that first time I spotted Goliath! I was just amazed, and wanted to ride it so bad! Luckily I got many rides in that day, and every other time I have been to SFOG, which is in a way my third home park!

I was just amazed, and wanted to ride it so bad! Luckily I got many rides in that day, and every other time I have been to SFOG, which is in a way my third home park!

Why am I optimistic this will hopefully be a very true and applicable statement for Diamondback...even in the first season!?! I mean, it was for me with Behemoth as well!

I have a feeling that 2010 will be a good year to visit SFOG, Haven't gotten a new coaster since 06' and has removed one since then. Plus the last two additions have been relatively cheap compared to Goliath, so it's a good time for them to get a coaster.

Great PTR. Glad you enjoyed this park, it's one of my favorite SF parks. I'm also missing SFOG as being the end of my off-season this year. My first trip was in 07 for ACE Spring Fling, and I went back again last year. I love Goliath. It will be nice to have a B&M hyper closer to home!

I got to go their last spring with school for a choir competiton, unfortunately heavy rain came just an hour or so after we arrived.

I am fortunate that the one ride I did get in was Goliath, but I would have loved to go on Ninja, Georgia Scorcher, Batman, and Superman

-Six Flags Over Georgia Pt. 2-

From Gotham City we headed towards the back of the park and enjoyed some of the sights along the way.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia080.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia083.jpg

This area of the park reminded me a lot of Rivertown or a Dollywood type of atmosphere. It was very shady and well landscaped, kind of a nice break from the busyness surrounding Goliath in the USA section.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia084.jpg

The water wheel was a really nice touch that made the area feel very authentic.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia138.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia150.jpg

All of the water rides were still in off season rehab and didn't open until April.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia095.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia096.jpg

We eventually came upon the Canyon Blaster, which looked like a very fun little kids coaster. Then before we knew it we were in metropolis park.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia086.jpg

As fun as Superman looked unfortunately it was having a "technical difficulties" and wouldn't open for the remander of the day. Still got a few good pics of the track and that massive pretzel loop i wanted to experience so badly. Also I loved the phone booth in the plaza way that looked so much like superman's own.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia089.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia091.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia087.jpg

As we passed Skull Mountain I snapped a quick pic. The picture really doesn't do it justice but this thing is huge!

SixFlagsOverGeorgia092.jpg

We then headed towards The Great American Scream Machine, a classic out and back coaster.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia093.jpg

The ride was pretty fun but was in some dire need of some retracking and a new coat of paint. From their we headed towards ninja which was unfortunately closed for the day most likely because of staffing.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia147.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia094.jpg

From there we headed back towards the front of the park and I walked through the Looney Tunes themed area, it was a very small but nicely decorated area. We even almost had a run in with a nasty bull!

SixFlagsOverGeorgia101.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia100.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia102.jpg

Monster Mansion was still under construction and opening in May. It looked like a very fun dark ride though with an interesting cast of characters.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia099.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia099.jpg

As we continued to stroll through the park we came upon Acrophobia but I decided to save it for later, which was unfortunate because it would later shut down for the remainder of the day.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia028.jpg

Next up was the Georgia Cyclone. Which is a copy of the cyclone at Coney Island. This was a very fun coaster but much like GASM needed retracking and a new paint job. This ride certainly had potential though and was still fun.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia103.jpg

By this time we had looped around the park once and so we decided to take a couple more rides on Goliath and Mind Bender. Then we braked for somelunch that was wonderful. I got a pulled pork BBQ sandwich combo and for 8.99 it was a very filling meal. After lunch we took a ride on the train which was a nice stroll through the park.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia135.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia136.jpg

After the train we headed back into the wooded area and checked out the Thomastown based on the characters from Thomas the Train. It was really nicely done simple but effective.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia151.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia153.jpg

The conductor greets you at the entrance.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia154.jpg

After Thomastown we explored the western themed area around us and watched a few minutes of a comedy gun show. It wasn't anything to amazing but the kids watching seemed to be enjoying it. We also got some Coldstone which I totally loved that Six Flags had in park.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia155.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia156.jpg

We then decided to hop on the Sky Buckets which were your typical Sky Cable Cars.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia169.jpg

They did provide some beautiful views of the park though.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia158.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia161.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia162.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia163.jpg

I also got some great shots of Goliaths lift from the sky buckets.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia165.jpg

SixFlagsOverGeorgia167.jpg

By this time in the day we only had a few hours left so we split our time between Goliath and Mind Bender. As we walked through the park that day I couldn't help but notice the many recycle bins throughout the park cleverly shaped as Coke bottles. I love this idea promoting a cleaner park and better use of resources.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia131.jpg

All in all, I had a great day at the park(I got to ride Goliath 7 times!) and found that many of the terrible things I had heard about Six Flags to be totally untrue. The employees were incredibly nice and helpful, the park was super clean, and the place looked great except for a few spots here and there. I'll definitely be returning the next time I'm in the Atlanta area! I leave with one last pic of Goliath's lift at night! Thanks for the comments already made and please feel free to ask any other questions you may have about my trip or the park.

SixFlagsOverGeorgia191.jpg

Excellent trip report. The one train operations at the beginning of the day were interesting, but once they got the second trains added (particularly on Mindbender and Goliath) lines really moved quickly. Having 10 minutes (or less) wait on both of those coasters for most of the day always makes for good times! Glad you enjoyed your laps on both coasters!

Being that SFOG is the only Six Flags park I've been to, you can see how I don't have a negative impression of the chain. I found the park to be picturesque and clean, and the staff friendly and enthusiastic. That will probably change this summer as the two that are easiest for me to visit are SFA and SFKK, which are reported to be the two worst in the chain.

Sucks you missed out on the parks best coaster Ninja! ;) S:UF isn't really what it's said to be. It's fun, but very relaxing (except the forceful pretzel loop) and when you get stacked on the brake run, it's painful being in those trains. In my opinion, Firehawk is a thousand times better than the two B&M Flyers I have ridden! Too bad you didn't get to ride Acrophobia, It's really awesome!

Chris, great PTR! I'm so glad you decided to post this. You're descriptions and photographs have me really excited to go here. I was supposed to go last season but school prevented me from being able to go on the trip. This spring though it looks like I will be definitely going in a few weeks. Really looking forward to mindbender....and had completely forgotten about Superman till you posted those pictures. Thanks again!

Chris, great PTR! I'm so glad you decided to post this. You're descriptions and photographs have me really excited to go here. I was supposed to go last season but school prevented me from being able to go on the trip. This spring though it looks like I will be definitely going in a few weeks. Really looking forward to mindbender....and had completely forgotten about Superman till you posted those pictures. Thanks again!

No problem ronny, you'll love it guarantee.

Sucks you missed out on the parks best coaster Ninja! wink.gif S:UF isn't really what it's said to be. It's fun, but very relaxing (except the forceful pretzel loop) and when you get stacked on the brake run, it's painful being in those trains. In my opinion, Firehawk is a thousand times better than the two B&M Flyers I have ridden! Too bad you didn't get to ride Acrophobia, It's really awesome!

Yeah I've heard many different things from different people but I wanted to compare them myself.

Excellent trip report. The one train operations at the beginning of the day were interesting, but once they got the second trains added (particularly on Mindbender and Goliath) lines really moved quickly. Having 10 minutes (or less) wait on both of those coasters for most of the day always makes for good times! Glad you enjoyed your laps on both coasters!

So you were at opening day as well I assume. Yeah the lines were great and it was great to just relax and still know I was getting everything in because I didn't have to wait in long lines at every ride.

Yeah I've heard many different things from different people but I wanted to compare them myself.

I've discovered a lot of enthusiasts have opinions I don't share. I loved Superman. I thought it was the coolest and most innovative ride I've ridden. I thought it was smooth as glass and much more comfortable than Firehawk. But, being that everyone has a different opinion and different experience (I was totally unimpressed with Maverick, for instance), I hope you are able to return to the park again and ride it. Ninja, you're probably better off without. Imagine the most violent parts of SoB and Vortex, combined into one tangle of metal, and you'll have Ninja.

I've discovered a lot of enthusiasts have opinions I don't share. I loved Superman. I thought it was the coolest and most innovative ride I've ridden. I thought it was smooth as glass and much more comfortable than Firehawk. But, being that everyone has a different opinion and different experience (I was totally unimpressed with Maverick, for instance), I hope you are able to return to the park again and ride it. Ninja, you're probably better off without. Imagine the most violent parts of SoB and Vortex, combined into one tangle of metal, and you'll have Ninja.

Wow that is incredibly rough. Yeah I have heard that Superman is ultra smooth, wish i could have rode it.