SFOT Re-Doing Texas Giant

Im confused...are they just revamping the ride or are they replacing the whole thing?

Yes. Sounds like they're replacing the whole thing from what was in that article...

From my understanding, Intamin is replacing the the track with prefabbed similar to what is used on El Toro. In doing this many sections of the ride are being re-profiled. Now the video show them ripping out major sections of the supports. So I guess I really don't know what they are doing for sure. :)

As to Timberliners for next year. Doubtful. First of all the renovation will not be done till 2011. Second Intamin is doing the work. They also make trains. There is little to no chance that they would put competitors trains on their rehabed ride.

• 7 months later...

QUOTE (CedarPointer @ Nov 18 2009, 08:45 PM) QUOTE (rcfreak339 @ Nov 18 2009, 06:17 PM) From my understanding, Intamin is replacing the the track with prefabbed similar to what is used on El Toro. In doing this many sections of the ride are being re-profiled. Now the video show them ripping out major sections of the supports. So I guess I really don't know what they are doing for sure. smile.gif

As to Timberliners for next year. Doubtful. First of all the renovation will not be done till 2011. Second Intamin is doing the work. They also make trains. There is little to no chance that they would put competitors trains on their rehabed ride.

As far as I know, Intamin has little if not no involvement in the project. Its Rocky Mountain Construction Group that is behind it, the group that was behind the construction of El Toro. They have developed a new style track called Iron Horse Coaster Track which is actually an all steel system of rails. Essentially Texas Giant will now be a steel coaster, despite what the park is trying to hype it as. The system is vastly different from the Intamin Plug and Play wood coaster track. Gerstlauer will be providing the new trains for the coaster. Definitely been interesting to watch this thing progress, can't wait to see how the final product turns out!

- Todd

will there be any wood on top of the steel rails or wheel the wheels be in direct contact with the steel rails? If there is even one or two layers of wood over the steel I can see this still be considered as a Woodie, but if it is wheel on the steel rails as they are then there is no argument.