Coney Island "A Dream of a Park"

haussie

What can I say that I haven't said in my other posts about your videos? Being born a few years too late (1972) to enjoy the old Coney Island, I love this look back. Thank you again! This video in particular is making me look forward even more to my Parks of Pennsylvania trip this summer, as many of those parks are from the same era as Coney. (And Mrs. Gator & I pretty much came to the decision just last night that we'll be doing the PA trip this summer as opposed to the Houston/Schlitterbahn option that we had also been throwing around).

haussie, you are quickly becoming my favorite person on this site!

What an incredible video!!!! I thoroughly enjoyed it very much, since I have worked in the rides department now for seven years (soon likely eight).

Yes, the video has to have been done in at least 1968. That is the year that the log flume ride was added to Coney. Additionally, I`d say that it might even be from 1969, as that was the year the Monster ride (made by Eyerly Aircraft Corp.) opened at Coney.

And that architect the narrator kept mentioning? His name is Darryl Daniels, and he is a graduate from the University of Cincinnati`s Architecture program (the same one that I am currently enrolled in).

That German building that the video shows is no longer a food stand. Instead, it is the comissary for all the group picnic food. It is located immediately behind the Administration building. Additionally, the games building still remains at Coney and contains games of skill, of course, as well as the Rides office.

Thrill Biscuit, check out the post that I just posted at the same time as your post. I narrow down the time frame for the video, based on attractions seen in the actual video itself.

Sorry, RZ. I edited my original post. You're right.

Check out the frontiersman who takes an arrow in the chest and slumps over (4:04)! How macabre! :lol:

I don't know whether to clap or cry at that.

What an amazing piece of history. It does answer one question for me... I had always wondered if the Coney Island train had featured the Fort Apache animatronics that were later installed at KI... indeed it did. So to those curious about the old train "show" and what it was like at KI, just watch this video.

Great find!

Shaggy

I grew up with Coney Island. Almost every Thursday during the summer my Mom would take me there because she could never get me to go anywhere else. I remember Mike Tangi's voice welcoming me to the Land of Oz. If you don't know, Mike Tangi invented the Kwik Brothers. My first rollercoaster was the Teddy Bear. I rode the Swans through the Windmill and rode the hand crank cars across the track until I could barely lift my arms. At Dusk, we ate Fried Chicken at the Top of the Mall and finally went to Lake Como to watch the fireworks. As I got older, my first big boy rollercoaster was the Wild Cat. I rode the Laff in the Dark, Cuddle Up, Whip and Dodgems which back then was like a demolition derby. Then came the Shooting Star, that was the ultimate. I became a teenager and I started going to the park with my friends. We came from Ft Thomas across the Ferry. People in Ohio really missed something having just to drive to the park. Walking through the river gate, looking at the Flood Meter, walking and eating in the picnic groves were memories I will never forget. Coney Island was my park just like Kings Island is the next generation's park. But I was lucky, I saw both parks. To those that never got to the original CI, it was magical, wonderful place just like Kings Island is for so many now. That film film brought back so many wonderful memories. As I write this, it's Thursday, I almost wish Mom and I were going to CI today. Thanks for letting me be so nostalgic about a place that still has a special place in my heart and memories no one can take away.

• Like 1

Great video. Some of these scenes are included in "GREETINGS FROM CONEY ISLAND, CINCINNATI" which is well worth checking out.

I'm still looking for a copy of "CONEY ISLAND: RELIVE THE MAGIC", if anyone knows where to find one please let me know. I've tried PBS, the library and just about everywhere else.

Again, great find!

coneyrat

• 2 weeks later...

I've longed to see footage such as this! Thank you for posting this! I love the scene with the games department (today looks virtually the same). I was very proud to be a part of the rebuilding period of the games dept during the summer of 2000 and 2001. Renovating that section of the park is something I will always cherish. Thank again!

~Josh

Wow, what a beautiful video! What I wouldn't give to spend just one day in the Coney Island from that video. When I was little my dad's company picnic was held at CI every summer. I remember riding The Whip about a million times in a row every time we went. :) Sunlite pool was always great too. Everything just looked so clean and pretty in the video...and I loved the landscaping and theming. Thanks for sharing that with us!

~Ash

Remember that Sunlite Pool is still chilling visitors to Coney Island. And this year it will be home to the new multi-million dollar water slide, The Twister which is currently under construction. Both Sunlite Pool, the Twister and Coney`s classic rides officially open for the year on Saturday, May 23 (Memorial Day weekend).

Remember that Sunlite Pool is still chilling visitors to Coney Island. And this year it will be home to the new multi-million dollar water slide, The Twister which is currently under construction. Both Sunlite Pool, the Twister and Coney`s classic rides officially open for the year on Saturday, May 23 (Memorial Day weekend).

I hadn't heard about that yet! I need to go back there...I haven't been to Coney Island in years. Maybe this summer I will go back!

~Ash

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...