Future Expansion

KIBOB

Why would any guest want any coaster or ride that satisfies other park guests thus improving park capacity, gone? The park apparently is satisfied with the ride's condition, ridership, costs and appearance.

Seriously, given the current Cedar Fair (and park industry) financial condition, I wouldn't necessarily bet the farm that any ride in the park would be replaced if some sort of physical disaster were to strike it during the off season, while the park was closed before or after operating hours in season, or--horror of horrors, the disaster were to hit while the park was open and the ride was operating.

At Great Adventure, business was devastated for many years after the Halloween walk through fire deaths years ago. Recovery was difficult for the park and its employees, and much more so for the families and friends of those who died in the fire.

As people who support parks and coasters, why should we, even in jest, talk about how we would like to see a certain coaster burn? Fire was and is a major enemy of parks (and people generally). It pains me to see this kind of stuff on here. It has no place. Not even as a supposed joke.

Terpy, as serious as he has ever been, and saddened

Yes, this is no joking matter. Fires have devasted parks before. Just look at Idora Park in Youngstown, Ohio, which ceased operation after a fire wiped through the park in 1984. Disasters other than fires are not good for parks either. As Interpreter mentioned the maze fire at Great Adventure hurt business for many years.

Similarly, attendance at Kings Island fell off considerably in 1992, after the tragic events of Black Sunday. Flight Commander was modified following that incident. It remained open for a few more seasons before being removed from the park. The site sat vacant for many years, before becoming home to an upcharge attraction that generally does not add much in terms of value to most paying park guests. Not to mention that it really does not have a material effect on the park`s capacity.

As Interpreter mentioned, wishing an attraction were to be devastated by a fire is no laughing matter. Primarily for safety concerns, but also for the well being and public image of the park that so many of us love to visit and like to express our feelings for on this site. While one person may not like Flight Deck other people may love it. Case in point is Son of Beast. Some people absolutely despise it with a passion, while others claim it is the best coaster in the park. Wishing a disaster on an attraction is simply terrible thinking on the part of a person that does not have the true interests of the park at hand. We on this site should wish to see the park prosper and continue to expand, not wish disasters to occur to some of its older rides, thus hurting the parks public image and ability to generate revenues.

I'm thinking that this discussion has ventured way off base here into a serious hypothetical realm that isn't totally necessary. I don't think crazypkikid said to burn SOB in the sense of hoping that it would catch on fire while the park is open with riders on a train causing a catastrophe to the park. Why would anyone mean that? He meant it in a way like taking a wrecking ball to it so that it's not in the way for KI to expand the park. Maybe the choice of words were taken a little too literally. I read it as just taking the ride out. Not causing a disaster.

Realy, as a few people have been saying, that isnt what they meant by "burning the coaster down" i mean, i cant even imagine a devastating event like that destroying parts of one of Ohio's greatest landmarks. :(

Anyways, back to what we started with, does anyone have any more creative ideas on how you think the park might expand in the future without destroying anything? Like a few of us were saying, X-base seems to be a hint-hint type of starting point for the future, however i dont see what the park would do about all of the storage warehouses that currently occupy the area and even if they were to move them or something, would they realy try and squeeze people through the small midway under racer to get to an entire section of the park?

Wow didn't mean to offend anyone and if you are sorry. If anyone actually thought I meant while the ride was running you would have to pretty dumb to actually believe that. Anyway, I'd be up for SOB removal one way or another and I'm sorry if my OPINION on a way to expand is not welcome on a OPINION topic but maybe I'm just misinterpreting the discussion topic.

It's a little off topic, but if SOB was to be removed, the best publicity stunt would to be implode it on the last day of the season. I don't think a coaster has been imploded before. Just a thought and no offense mea nt to SOB fans. I was just trying to a little more creative than buring it down.

Maybe one way of doing it would be to build yet another midway under racer that bipasses around Action Theater "if it stays for much longer" then, if they relocate the storage buildings, they could make a huge new area by wrapping it around the back of racer.

I like that idea. I honestly never really thought about taking the path in that direction. I guess the only thing about that would be that it'd be like a mirrored version of the Coney Mall area with The Racer as the center of attention. Maybe it could be the Bizarro Coney Mall. Or maybe it could be Coney Maul all year round on that side and have haunted attractions.

Maybe one way of doing it would be to build yet another midway under racer that bipasses around Action Theater "if it stays for much longer" then, if they relocate the storage buildings, they could make a huge new area by wrapping it around the back of racer.

I like that idea. I honestly never really thought about taking the path in that direction. I guess the only thing about that would be that it'd be like a mirrored version of the Coney Mall area with The Racer as the center of attention. Maybe it could be the Bizarro Coney Mall. Or maybe it could be Coney Maul all year round on that side and have haunted attractions.

Yes, that would be awesome! They really need to explore all of that land because i mean, honestly would any of you guys like to see all of KI turn into a concrete jungle "cough: Action Zone : cough" just because they want to squeeze a bunch of new attractions together and take away scenery. Actually, i dont know who else watched that construction video from 1971/72 which by the way was an excellent post. But i do recall in the video that the one of the designers goals was to "incorporate natural elements and make Kings Island one of the most attractive looking parks in the country" IMAO they should keep that legacy going, while still adding new and more exciting attractions in the far off future.

I was only joking, I would never want to see a coaster get burned down, not even coasters like Lil Bill. I was just saying as a quote to the person who said they want SOB to burn down. And yes, I know tons of amusement parks (especially boardwalks) have burned down. Blue Streak at CP even got a little fire around it.

Well before they add any new areas I would like to see Coney Mall and Oktoberfest revitalized. Bring back the nostalgia and put in some new flats where the laser tag dome stands and the Flight Commander pad sits.

I thought that they were originally putting Drop Tower in that Flight Commander spot back in the day. Remember after it was removed, they had a sign there saying something along the lines of something new "dropping" in that spot. Then it went away and eventually we got the bungees.

True, very true. I can see Coney Mall's name reflecting the area, but Oktoberfest is a different story i mean come on what the heack does a slingshot, virtual coaster ride, and a restaurant themed to a beach shack have to do with a German celebration? :huh: I can see AE and Viking fury as they can tie into the theme. Heck, even festhaus has lost the theming. PANDA EXPRESS IS CHINESE! :rolleyes:

yea i forgot that there was a LaRosas in there to, which just adds to the confusion :P By the way, another thing about Festhaus that i have noticed is that they really have not been using the show over the main entrance with the little animatronics who bang there mugs on the table while the servers dance around, all while listening to the chicken dance. I used to get a real kick out of that when the clock struck noon, but for the past year or two they have just been sitting there collecting bird droppings :(

Festhaus it pretty close to International Street, I bet they could change the name and extend International Street a bit so that it can become some sort of international themed restraunt, since after all it does have both Italian and Chinese food there! Inside they could hang a big ring of different country's flags from the ceiling and kind of play off that idea since the whole fitting in with Oktoberfest is not working out to well!

Festhaus it pretty close to International Street, I bet they could change the name and extend International Street a bit so that it can become some sort of international themed restraunt, since after all it does have both Italian and Chinese food there! Inside they could hang a big ring of different country's flags from the ceiling and kind of play off that idea since the whole fitting in with Oktoberfest is not working out to well!

I like that idea. An international theme instead of trying to cling to Oktoberfest would seem to make more sense the way the park is set up now.