Hands Up or Down?

Zorba

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OTSRs, wooden coasters I know I need to keep my back off the back rest due to roughness no (and thus I need my arms on the hand bar pulling my torso foreward at all times,) or if I know the clearence is too close for comfort no, otherwise yes. So at KI that means Diamondback will be the one coaster that I will put my arms up for. At CP I put my hands up for MF, Magnum, Gemini, and TTD (at the crest.) If Im not holding on to dear life to save my back, I will just put my arms at my sides (or on my legs) when I dont have them up.

Guest rcfreak339

Really it depends on my mood, and what time during the season......In the beginning of the season I have my hands up on them all, In the middle of the season when it's hot my hands are mostly down unless I get really excited (like a new ride, ERT, ect...) But near the end of the season I like them up so I can feel the wind flying past my arms in the cold, crisp air....weird I know.

Hands up. Maybe its just my imagination but I think holding the hands up relieves the g's especially on Top Thrill Dragster. Also I like the feeling of freedom.

I personally think hands up makes rough rides seem smoother, lets you move independently of the train. Hands up + loose lap bar + ab muscles makes the roughness go away ;).

Oh, really? A number of enthusiasts over the years have cracked, and a few have broken, ribs riding Raven that way. . .

Also, a loose lap bar is in violation of manufacturers' and parks' recommendations....

Loose as in "not pinned" not loose like standing up.

IMO...while I prefer hands up on everything, there are some things that are a MUCH better and smoother experience with the hands down!! Some example...

Biggest-Maverick!! I only have my hand up for the first drop, after that, hands down the entire time...and thus, smooth riding for me!

Magnum-hands down after the 2nd drop...again, violent, but NOT painful or uncomfortable ejector seat riding after that.

Any Intamin rocket-hands down on launch...way more comfy, but of course it's hands up for the apex!!

Finally, most woods coasters, especially SOB in the rose bowl, and El Toro's curving finale.

For me, the smoother the coaster the better the experience. I'm all for crazy air and lat's, and will have hands up when appropriate, but likewise will have them down at the right times.

Usually hands up, it just depends on if it I find it funner on a particular ride to do so. Seats like those on the Raptor, just are verry fun to do so because of the bar. Maverick, did it once, won't ever do it again, the restraint absolutely manhandled my shoulder and head when my arms were up.

^ Gotta agree, particularly with Voyage. It's my favorite coaster, but after the first three hills there's no chance you'll see me with my hands up on that ride.

Any coaster with OTSR's is hands down. Anything else is hands up all the way (except for lift hills).

OTSR's are auto hands down for me as well. If you're in the middle of a B&M coaster with OTSR's (seats 2&3 of any row) it's hard to put your hands up anyway!

^^Yeah, thanks RR!!

I mean, I don't want to come across anti-hands up since I'm not! But having your hands up just to have 'em up when there are goods reasons NOT to is silly...I mean, similarly to some other industries ;) (like the NFL) it's all about extending longevity...you'll last a lot longer and be in better shape as a rider if you hold and brace when you should...if you're smart.

I love riding hands up but as many have said, some rides will just beat you if you do. Maverick is a great example. Hands up for the first hill through that great airtime hill but hands down during a lot of those twist and overbanked turns cuz it'll beat the crap out of my shoulders otherwise.

^^Honestly...riding hands up in SOB's rose bowl is beyond comprehension for me!! :o

Ride with me and you'll comprehend it. I almost always do - back seat and all.

Wooden coasters - hands up after the first ride. I have to know where all of the twists and turns are first. Then, after I get the layout down, I'm hands up almost all the time. Once in a while - like Voyage - it takes a little longer than one ride for me to feel comfortable being hand-up, but not often. It took three on Cyclops' back seat. That's my record.

Steel coasters, it completely depends and varies by the coaster.

For the record...it's against Ohio State Law to raise your hands on a coaster...or so I've been told. That's probably why I'm a hands-up person.