Hands Up or Down?

Zorba

Hands up, almost always. I can think of two times I put them down - Vortex in the corkscrew (brace position) and Magnum in the bunny hills (painful ejector air). I love the freedom of hands up. Even on rides where you can't really get them up very well (Invertigo, Raptor), I still put them up. I'd much rather not hang on.

Oh and I'm guilty of elbowing my husband in the head on The Beast in the helix. We now always ride with me on the right, since he's a hands down rider. Removes the problem completely.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, I ride all rides with a veryation of hands up and down throughout the ride. Also, another weird thing is on The Beast and Racer, when I have my hands down, I cross them!! its very wierd and I do it almost toltaly unvolunteerly. You know what, I also do it on Mean Streak. Hmm those PTC trains...

Once in a while - like Voyage - it takes a little longer than one ride for me to feel comfortable being hand-up, but not often.

Ah yes, Voyage. I've ridden it once so far, and started with my hands up. That didn't last through the whole ride though. I'll try again this year... I will not be defeated! :lol:

It's tough to do. First time I rode, I held on the whole way to see how intense it was. Then the next time I went with no hands the whole ride. You get thrown around so much it gets a little painful. So now I just keep the hands up for the first few drops then hold on for the craziness.

I keep my head back against the headrest on ALL coasters with OTSRs throughout the ride. It eliminates the head banging issue. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to enjoy coasters like Raptor and Maverick.

Hmm, while I was at CP, I found that holding on to the OTSRs and sticking your head as forward as possible worked pretty well. I guess whatever floats your boat is fine though :) . But to answer the topic question, it depends for me. If it's a big hill or a smooth ride, hands up the whole way! But if its rather bumpy, I hold on just for stability.

I ride hands up on everything. Drop Tower is the best when you look up when you get to the top and hold your arms and legs out, priceless feeling. The first time i ever held my hands up was on Twisted Twins at KK. My hands where clenched to the bar and they slipped off and came up on the drop. Ever since then it has been hands up all the way.

On rides with lots of airtime, I like to keep my hands up because I float more obviously, and for a lot of steel coasters that have lapbars I like having my hands up.

Son of Beast, I'll put my hands up for the first drop, for the tiiiiny bit of air that I get, but then after that I hang on for dear life. That ride is a beating.

it depends wooden coasters usually hands up but anything else probably down, but i did ride FOF with hands Up IMO it was fun. but sort of hurt, but in a good way.

Haha. On FoF, my hands are always up. once i get buckelen in and i hear the breaks realse, my hands go up and i dont put them back down till the final break run!

The "head chop" portion of Gemini intimidates me- I lower my hands onto my head at that part of the ride.

I am always forced to put my hands down heading into the first and last tunnels on The Beast. it always looks like my hands are ganna get chopped off. One of these days I will be able to keep them up in those tunnels... one of these days...

I don`t know whether to tell you, or let you weather the storm of your mistakes. It is a very good thing that one can take a break from typing to ponder the correct homophone to use in a situation. You`re very lucky to have such an understanding community to realize that sometimes ridiculous mistakes like using the incorrect homophone happen from time to time, even to the best of us! ;)

I've found it helpful to lean the way the turns are banked.

Maybe it's just me, but it sure helps!

It's not just you, and this is great advice. I didn't think about posting it, but this is how I'm able to keep my hands up in the Rose Bowl. Well...that and leaning forward slightly. Not a bunch, or you'll end up hunched over, but a little. (I made the mistake once of leaning over too much and ended up trying to eat a lap bar sandwich.)

Also, a tip for avoiding the painful problem of elbowing someone is to lock your elbows all the way out and hold on to one of your thumbs. That makes your arms a lot more stable. Rose Bowl - hold your back upright and staight as well.

I usually keep my hands up on all rollercoasters. Son of Beast can be fun as long as you sit in the right seat. Concerning The Beast, hands up from first lift to second lift, down going up the lift, and arms up but slanted to the right during the helix. I've never even had so much as a scratch from that tunnel.