Mystery Construction at Cedar Point

Well now that Diamondback is built and waiting for its first riders another mystery is starting to take shape up North on the shores of Lake Erie... or more specifically the shores of Cedar Points inner lagoon.

As you can see here land clearing has begun on one corner of Millennium Island with additional space across the lagoon behind Snake River Falls.

Fueling the rumor mill a recent blog post on OnPoint! The Cedar Point Blog showed pictures of the clearing and stated "As you may have guessed, we're doing something over there. But "what?" is the question...” The post was deleted a short time later and replaced with one showing their new web cam location with no mention of the previous post. A copy of the post can be seen over at our old friend screamscape.com.

I seem to remember someone at CP, possible Dick Kinzel, saying that a water ride or log flume was planned for Cedar Point but postponed for the construcion of Maverick. Could this be that ride?

I for one am hoping for some type of ground hugging, quick turning, wood coaster ala Intamin prefab, CCI, or GCI. None of which I've had the pleasure of riding but hear some pretty good things.

Let the speculating begin!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh yes let the speculation begin. Regarding a ground hugging woodie, I think that would be a great fit and another great possibility. GCII would be the front runner in my book, dont expect anything from CCI seeing as they dont exist, and I doubt S&S would be in the running, but Gravity Group might which is no bad thing.

Like some have rumored CP might remove Snake River Falls and however unlikely that might be, I could see them keeping the station and installing a Mack Super Splash or I would love to see something like Vliegende Hollander be installed and it could use the Paddle Wheel Excursion waterways for the various splash downs.

Finaly the rumor that CP might remove CCMR, I would call false. CP and Kinzel will do what is necessary and within reasson to keep the coaster count record at CP so removing coasters has been something they have shyed away from. Also CCMR got an updated ride control system the same year MF was built and its a great intermediate coasters for all the kiddies moving up from Jr Gemini.

I bet it's a new coaster. Magic mountain will tie Cedar Point in 2010 for number of coasters, and we all know that can't happen. I agree though, a new woodie would be nice. For a park with some of the worlds greatest steel coasters, their wood coasters suck with a passion in my opinion.

While CP may be weak in the area of wooden coasters, I have to say Blue Streak ranks with the best of the classic wooden coasters.

T

As to the rumored coaster at CP, I am hoping for a woodie like El Toro. Has anyone heard about any possilbilities of CP breaking the 500 foot barrier? I doubt it with the headaches in the early years of TDD but one never knows.

I cannot imagine a Cedar Fair under Mr. Dick Kinzel spending the kind of money that building and maintaining a 500 foot coaster would take. I also would not be betting the farm what Magic Mountain may or may not be doing next year....or even what the first two words of that park's name may be by this time next year.

I bet it's a new coaster. Magic mountain will tie Cedar Point in 2010 for number of coasters, and we all know that can't happen. I agree though, a new woodie would be nice. For a park with some of the worlds greatest steel coasters, their wood coasters suck with a passion in my opinion.

While CP may be weak in the area of wooden coasters, I have to say Blue Streak ranks with the best of the classic wooden coasters.

T

As to the rumored coaster at CP, I am hoping for a woodie like El Toro. Has anyone heard about any possilbilities of CP breaking the 500 foot barrier? I doubt it with the headaches in the early years of TDD but one never knows.

well If cf really wanted to break the 500ft mark IMO there is a better chance of it going to KI than Cp because Cp is extremely landlocked, or "waterlocked" i guess, and KI has plenty of room. I wouldn't be suprised if KI had 20 coasters by 2020.

And I would be greatly shocked. I really doubt the coaster wars are coming back any time soon. Who is the park competing with at Kings Island such that it needs to add coasters galore in order to attract the aging clientele in the Cincinnati market area? Not to mention how grandly that strategy worked at a place once called Geauga Lake.

I never said i want it to happen, i said if Cedar Fair wanted it to happen. And you never know, after this whole economy mess gets back to normal some come-back company called 12 flags might try to compete with KI, but they'll probably fail miserably and pull another "geauga lake" ;)

Back on topic...I wonder if a gravity group woody like Boardwalk Bullet could fit in that space behind MF

but Gravity Group might which is no bad thing.

Don't count on it, GG rides are mantinence headaches, and we all know how much CF loves to Maintian woodies.

But CGA has a GCII woodie planned (whether it's built or not) and then there is Prowler at Worlds of Fun....

First I think you have missed a few things. In the very first post of this topic Go Browns mentioned a woodie from either CCI or GCII. Hence my refrence to S&S or Gravity Group seeing as CCI went under and the main folks can now be found at either S&S Ms. Dinn Larick herself, and GG was started by former engineers and designers of CCI, true creative geniuses there.

GG has built some amzing rides in their short time and I wouldn't call their coasters maintence headaches at all, nor do I think any of their coasters are considered unreliable. Have you been on Hades or Ravine Flyer II? Wow, what rides and I dont think Voyage is their best creation.

Regarding GCII there is definately a strong possibility of that happening at CP, seing as it looks like CF had a 3 coaster deal, with the two you mentioned and Renegade at ValleyFair. So with the possible sale of CGA, CP could very easily see the planned GCII end up in the park by default. Also for somewhere between 6 to 10 million CP could have another quality coaster that fits a missing gap in the park. Where is PKIPunk when you need him?

Finally about CP mainting woodies, have you been on Blue Streak lately? It runs great and is well maintained. Mean Streak is a different animal and its cousin out in Texas has very similar issues as well as many coasters built by Dinn Corp. Just look at the list and how many have been removed, had serious retracking done, or are just plain rough.

As much as I'd like to see a wicked new twisted wood coaster at CP its really hard to imagine in that tiny space. However, CP always seems to surprise me with the locations of new coasters. I never would have imagined they would move the ferris wheel and build a 300 footer a long the bay and Top Thrill Dragster's location just shows they can squeeze a monsterous ride in anywhere.

With only a few trees cleared at this point theres not much to go on though. We'll just have to wait for more clues to surface and put up with the wild specualtion and opinions until then. I'm just happy to see they are up to something on the peninsula and with CP's reputation its always exciting to see what they'll come up with next.

Yeah that's exactly the thing I was thinking after I posted that. I was imaging opening day and the line being absolutely horrible.

Two of them right next to each other would be pretty awesome. They could have names like Fire and Ice or Lion and Tiger or something along those lines that contrast each other.

^^^Sorrry about that! I had no idea you guys were talking about gravity group when you said GCII. Sorry!

and about the purple thing.....If they put one of those in at CP, you'll see something like LINE STARTS HERE FOR PURPLE COASTER right when you walk in, and in the little circle it'll say 6 1/2 hours! well mabye not that extreme, but you get the point

Oh yeah I forgot about the purple supports.

Either way both coasters look kinda....blehh.

I do like the purple with the white though on that coaster. I think one of those coasters would look pretty different in that area but could be pretty fun if more than one was added.

That one is about 7 million USD, so two wouldn't be too bad.

Anyone think that this might not be a coaster? I am as skeptical of screamscape as the next person but some sources on there are reliable and I recall them mentioning a possibly amazing flume ride being put in at CP...

I personally think CP really needs a really good log flume. Flumes are great because they get you a little wet without soaking you and they are really fun for some reason.

My other choice would be a new wood coaster, maybe a hyper with a loop ;)