TheCryptRaider

I love Diamondback. And I really don't hate Kings Island nor its 10 "adult" coasters. But I'm getting sick of the "wooden coaster militia" coming in here and demanding we need a woodie to be our next coaster. My only point I'm trying to make is there are def other coasters needed before we get another woodie!

Maybe its cuz I go all the time but the coaster lineup is starting to seem rather "meh". And as for LLC thats fine, because you never have anything good to add anyway!

And Diamondback is not an up and down ride?

GYK whose favorite Kings Island coaster on any given day is Flight of Fear, and whose second favorite is Backlot Stunt Coaster. Cloned? Yes. Unique experiences? Absolutely.

• Like 1

DB is an up and down ride. :) You have to remember cormaster on these forums and even coaster freaks around the world are from many walks of life and each and everyone has a like and dislike in certain things. But saying KI is ridiculous because they have not built one since DB is nutz...lol Don't put the park down cause they are not catering to your tastebuds. I am sure they could careless what any of us think. matter of fact I know they do not.

I got carried away and I apologize. I actually love Flight of Fear and its one of my favorite rides there... I just hate the wait for it some days... not all lines move like Vortex or Diamondback. Maybe its not rinky dink, its just indoors, and all indoor coasters are somewhat small since they gotta fit inside a building. And I don't hate woodies It just seems that you got "The Beast" and then you have... all the rest. So I do remember American Eagle being awesome at SFGAm because it was like a racer on steroids but I've been to Kentucky Kingdom 3 times and the first of those 3 times I rode all the coasters in the park... I remember Chang and T2, but I cant' for the life of me tell you what the wooden coaster was, whatever it was it didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Getting back on Topic, I just don't see how we need another woodie. At one point we had 3, and we may have 3 again if they reopen SOB, but I def think in the coaster dept Kings Island needs some more steel coasters before they need another woodie.

Getting back on Topic, I just don't see how we need another woodie. At one point we had 3, and we may have 3 again if they reopen SOB, but I def think in the coaster dept Kings Island needs some more steel coasters before they need another woodie.

Don't forget my favorite Planet Snoopy ride...

This is the symptom of living so close to KI or CP when people say KI has not had enough big steel coasters. Consider this:

Diamondback - 230 feet tall 5282 feet track

Top Gun - one of the very few suspended coaster left in the world.

Flight of Fear - possibly the most intense coaster at KI

Invertigo - 131 feet inverted boomerang

Firehawk - my second favorite flying coaster (very few in the world)

Adventure Express - One of the best mine ride coaster

Vortex - record breaker at the time but aged extremely quickly

Italian Jobs - a nice family coaster.

Frankly, these are one of the nicest group of coasters that you can find anywhere. NO PARK WILL EVER BUILD COASTERS THAT ARE CATERED TO COASTER ENTHUSIASTS ONLY. I agree that full track invert will add much to the park, but I will not agree that KI needs another BIG STEEL COASTER. They really do have plenty. I really think that wooden coasters are much more enjoyable than one trick pony such as Top Thrill Dragster IMO.

• Like 1

Its like this: If you've rode one Woodie, you've rode them all.

No offense, and I'm sorry to go off of what other people are saying, but that really really really made me want to slap you across the face.. Once again, no offense. You can ride ONE woodie on different days and have two different ride experiences, heck, you can ride one on the same day (say it rains or something) and it could change the experience. Trust me, a few weeks ago I had my absolute, hands down, BEST ride on The Beast. It was extremely rough, extremely fast (or at least it felt like it) and just felt down-right out of control. Then I returned to KI a few days later and it was completely tame and was just a bad ride.

Just at KI there are 3 totally different wooden coaster experiences.

Racer - a classic out and back woodie with some good airtime packed in a simple, trimless layout.

Sonny - while it has some similarities to its "father" (double helixes), it provides a COMPLETELY different experience than Racer or Beast. A humongous woodie, with quite a few ups and downs. And it used to have an inversion! (I really didn't do a good job at summing this one up, forgive me.. It's been a while since I've ridden it)

The Beast - A ground-hugging woodie, terrain using coaster which stays close to the ground for a good part of its run. It has a double helix as well, and unlike the other two "big" woodies at the park, pretty much all of its layout is hidden to the rest of the park.

And that's just at Kings Island...

Yeah, so..... please don't say that again. I don't mean to sound snippy or mean, I just prefer wood over steel. Sure, woodies can't (yet)/don't launch, drop at 90 degrees, have no floor, loop multiple times, or be inverted (FYI: I'm not saying that some of these things can't ever happen), but in MY opinion they provide a better ride experience overall.

-Josh, who obviously prefers woodies and will defend them to the death. :)

• Like 1

Its cool I respect your opinion. I know there are many who love wooden coaster's on this site, I'm just more of a steel coaster guy, always have been. And yes I have been to the park too many times... 11 times since 2007, a couple that were multi-day trips!

Of course at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what we want, Cedar Fair will build whatever they feel the park needs the most when it comes time for a new coaster.

In my opinion, you have not been to Kings Island too many times. You have been to Kings Island with too narrow a personal focus too many times. I could have gone to Kings Island many times over the years, and in fact have, without riding a single thing and come away a much happier person than when I went. Several things here...if all you ever do is all you ever did, sooner or later boredom will inevitably result. People watch. See a show. Watch how the park operates. Watch how parents parent, or don't. Watch how employees interact with the public. Observe the wildlife in the park, from muskrats to birds to cats. Observe the weather. Make friends with some of the employees. Speedwalk through the park. Look in the gift shops. And on and on and on.

There is far, far more to Kings Island (or any park) than just steel coasters.

The Timberliner trains are designed for such a thing:

Key features of the trains include:

• Single-bench design

• Shock absorption and ergonomic styling

• Unparalleled ability to smoothly navigate the track for decreased train & track maintenance

• Innovative restraint system for unsurpassed safety and security

• Restraints designed for higher throughput

• ASTM F2291 Class 5 restraint with integrated monitoring

• On-board sound system capable

• Magnetic braking capable

• Launch system capable

(emphasis added)

http://www.gravitykraft.com/gravity-group-engineers-unveil-next-generation-wood-coaster-train/

I feel bad for ripping on KI's coaster lineup. It is true they do have a very nice one, and 3 years ago, they didn't have Diamondback, and I had nothing to complain about. I've just rode all the same coaster's too many times. Yeah there are a few I don't care for such as Firehawk, which isn't worth the long wait it usually has, and Invertigo, that always makes me sick. I enjoy the rest. I didn't like Adventure Express much until I rode cedar crap mine ride. Also I didn't care much for Flight Deck until I rode Iron Dragon.... def in those 2 coaster categories we have much better versions than Cedar Point!

I do think the park has felt like its been missing something since SOB closed last year, since I always hit that one up 3 to 4 times a visit.

...Anyway I gotta say it, though I was trying not to. Its like this: If you've rode one Woodie, you've rode them all. ...

I do think the park has felt like its been missing something since SOB closed last year, since I always hit that one up 3 to 4 times a visit.

How can you possibly miss Son of Beast? After all, it IS you who said "Its like this: If you've rode one woodie, you've rode them all. ..."

Go ride Racer.

You have now ridden Son of Beast.

You said so.

I feel bad for ripping on KI's coaster lineup. It is true they do have a very nice one, and 3 years ago, they didn't have Diamondback, and I had nothing to complain about. I've just rode all the same coaster's too many times. Yeah there are a few I don't care for such as Firehawk, which isn't worth the long wait it usually has, and Invertigo, that always makes me sick. I enjoy the rest. I didn't like Adventure Express much until I rode cedar crap mine ride. Also I didn't care much for Flight Deck until I rode Iron Dragon.... def in those 2 coaster categories we have much better versions than Cedar Point!

I honestly never know where you are going with your posts. Rode one rode em all. Now that Diamondback is here gives you the right to complain. With sounding like the azz I usually am I shall say this: If you are so miserable with KI why do you go. Are you one of those people who will ***** and moan until they get a new ride then turn around a year later and complain cause they need something new?

Why do you even go to the park? Is it the parks responsibility to keep you happy and keep you in the rides you want to ride? The answer is no. One minute you like a ride the next you hate it then like it ok once more.

Do I like all the rides at KI? Um that is a big fat NO, however I am happy I have the chance to go and ride what they do have. I never count on certain type rides to be built. Sounds to me you would be happier at another park. I do not want you to think I am bashing you on your likes and dislikes cause I am not. Just do not understand your reasoning.

OMG did anyone even see me say "with the exception of The Beast and Son of Beast?" Because I Did. I said it somewhere. I said I loved those 2 coasters because they broke the rules..."granted Son of Beast broke too many rules which is why its SBNO". The funny thing is most people are using The Beast and Son of Beast to try and prove me wrong when I said from my very first post I liked those 2 woodies because they WERE different!

I honestly never know where you are going with your posts. Rode one rode em all. Now that Diamondback is here gives you the right to complain. With sounding like the azz I usually am I shall say this: If you are so miserable with KI why do you go. Are you one of those people who will ***** and moan until they get a new ride then turn around a year later and complain cause they need something new?

Why do you even go to the park? Is it the parks responsibility to keep you happy and keep you in the rides you want to ride? The answer is no. One minute you like a ride the next you hate it then like it ok once more.

Do I like all the rides at KI? Um that is a big fat NO, however I am happy I have the chance to go and ride what they do have. I never count on certain type rides to be built. Sounds to me you would be happier at another park. I do not want you to think I am bashing you on your likes and dislikes cause I am not. Just do not understand your reasoning.

It's too expensive and too far to drive to Chicago, St. Louis, or Sandusky. Kings Island is only a 2 hour drive... heck when the Colts play the Bengals the comentators always gotta mention "only 130 miles seperates these 2 teams".

Look To be fair, I was determined to win the argument. When I get that way I say things I don't mean. I'm trying to make peace with all you guys and I'm still being ripped on. WTF?

You must also remember that Paramount (and its successors) had very different ideas for what the park needed. Paramount's goal was, in essence, to create a park that capitalized on their catalogue of films and television shows. Once Cedar Point's "bigger, taller, faster" plan came to fruition with Millennium Force, it's safe to say that Paramount's Kings Island backed off - their place was in medium-sized, movie-tie-in rides. Because no matter what Cedar Fair tried to do, they simply couldn't do that. Cedar Point's five year plan left no room for those smaller, well-themed rides. You can't have Millennium one year, and a ride like Italian Job: Stunt Track the next and market it in the same way. The powers that were at Paramount Parks knew that, and knew that Kings Island couldn't beat Cedar Point in the "raw thrills" category, so they moved their focus elsewhere: Delirium, Tomb Raider, Scooby Doo & The Haunted Castle, The Italian Job, etc.

And couple that with the very different methods of operation between Cedar Fair and Paramount. As I've pointed out, Cedar Fair had (until 2006) a predicatable plan - install a huge new ride, and then coast on its popularity for three or four years, with only minimal upgrades in between. Hence Millennium, Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick with a few smaller coasters and flat rides in between. Paramount (and later, CBS) added something to the parks almost every year. The difference is that many were cloned, and many were smaller, or family-oriented. So we didn't get a huge $22 million steel coaster, followed by three years of nothing (as we're experiencing now). We got Drop Zone and FACE/OFF (1999), Son of Beast (2000), Nickelodeon Central (2001), Tomb Raider: The Ride (2002), Delirium & Scooby Doo (2003), Boomerang Bay re-theme (2004) and Italian Job (2005). With the exception of Son of Beast, most all of those additions were tiny compared to what Cedar Point had to offer, but created a well-rounded park and gave people something to come back for every single year instead of just every three years.

And that "three year" thing is sort of what we're experiencing now. We just got Diamondback. This year, we got Planet Snoopy, but remember that that was a necessity, not a cosmetic choice. And even that may seem like a big deal, but visit the other Paramount Parks. I was just at Kings Dominion, and their Planet Snoopy consists of five (yes, five) attractions, one of which is a show. And now that Cedar Fair is juggling twelve parks and not just seven, we don't know how long their periods of "coasting" on new attractions will last... We may not see another major coaster til 2013, or later.

So Kings Island may have smaller, more compact, more family-friendly rides. But at one time, that was the park's strength. Now, without its movie themes and with it's lackluster attempt at giving old attractions new identities (instead, simply making them generic versions of their former selves), it appears a weakness. Give it time.

• Like 1