TheCryptRaider

Well 07 (not a new coaster but still new to us ;) )

brought Firehawk - check

08 added shows, and renovations etc. (I consider it a small installment equal to the scooby doo upgrade) - check

09 Diamonback - check

10 Snoopy starlight spectacular (Equal to scooby again just IMHO, of course) - check

11 Wind Seeker - check (only $5 million dollars, so maybe something big, in terms of a coaster, is coming next year or by 2013. Most likely having to do with the removal/ renewal of SOB)

I still think they should get a woodie by a modern company that doesn't require a lot of maintenance for their coaster to run well, and I stress well... I hate painful woodies.

Either that or an Intamin. I think in the next few years years we should just get a bunch of intamin's and a B&M or two. Maybe a launched one like maverick, a giga, and then a ride from B&M I'd prefer an inverted one... but a sit down or a floorless twister would suffice.

Call me crazy (and some will) but for the 40th anniversary, I would be absolutely fine with just a whole bunch of capitol improvements in the park - a complete overhaul of the landscaping, new paint on The Racer, generally sprucing up Coney Mall, repainting the runway in X-Base, re-invigorating the Tower Gardens, taking a day or two to fine-tune the flames on Backlot Stunt Coaster just to ensure that they're operable for the season, maybe adding some new lighting and water effect in the fountains, adding some flavorful music where it belongs, a little bit of improvement to The Crypt even.

Basically to re-open the park for 2012 and to see that everything is more the way it should be - a cohesive, immersive experience from start to finish, where things like paint, easily-maintainable effects, music (and by extension, guest experience) are a priority.

Call me crazy (and some will) but for the 40th anniversary, I would be absolutely fine with just a whole bunch of capitol improvements in the park - a complete overhaul of the landscaping, new paint on The Racer, generally sprucing up Coney Mall, repainting the runway in X-Base, re-invigorating the Tower Gardens, taking a day or two to fine-tune the flames on Backlot Stunt Coaster just to ensure that they're operable for the season, maybe adding some new lighting and water effect in the fountains, adding some flavorful music where it belongs, a little bit of improvement to The Crypt even.

Basically to re-open the park for 2012 and to see that everything is more the way it should be - a cohesive, immersive experience from start to finish, where things like paint, easily-maintainable effects, music (and by extension, guest experience) are a priority.

I like that idea. How about some new vekoma trains for The Vortex too? I know I might be dreaming, but Vekoma does make new modern trains for old Arrow custom looping coasters!

I like the splashdown pool. According to the old press releases, it's supposed to be a Los Angeles aqueduct, definitely not a lake in the middle of L.A. haha. :) And even when the ride was themed to The Italian Job, it was still a "Backlot Stunt Coaster" if you will, meant to break the 4th wall.

It wasn't as if you were re-living the Italian Job film, suddenly living the real-life equivalent of the finale scene. It was supposed to be that you were filming stunt scenes reminiscent of the movie and living as a stunt car driver (hence the "Action!" and "Cut!" at the beginning and end of the ride, respectively). So I think the little concrete aqueduct and the other "cheesy" effects (police cars, billboard, helicopter) are all nice touches, because they truly do make you feel as if you're filming a movie. And as photos of the ride can attest to, it is very cinematic. The ride looks good in photos, just as a movie set does, because that's how it's designed to be, from what I've gathered - it's small scale, but what you see while you're on it, and what you pick up in photos, is grande and cinematic. The splashdown pool is a great example of that.

pki-italian-job-400-2.jpg

family-vacations-paramounts-kings-island-1.jpg

PCWItJob1.JPG

I for one miss the water that shoots out before the secondary launch. That would always make me jump even when I counted it down.

And for The Vortex trains "I" Don't want new trains, because I'm finally at the right height where every turn doesn't move my head hardly at all... so no head-banging, no neck-banging (for you taller people) It's just a fun ride for me now. But I wouldn't mind some trains from Vekoma that have lapbars. Although I doubt we'll get any since we have the corkscrews with hangtime. Maybe S&S or Maurer Söhne could work on the restraints alone... and we leave the actual cars?

A former Kings Island GM was always known for trying to avoid the "cheap carnival" look, and for making fun of the Batmen: The Rides at Six Flags, for looking like a cheap, trashy carnival. Then, corporate had him install Italian Stunt Job. Talk about karma...

When Tim Black became GM at Six Flags Great Adventure, the very first thing he did was have them remove most of the trashy theming in the Batman: The Ride queue. Ironically, he said the place looked like a "cheap carnival."

Terp, who just came back from a cheap carnival...and loved it

• 2 weeks later...

I think it will be very interesting to see what develops for 2012. Personally, I think another great coaster addition would do great things for the park overall. However, Cedar Point seems to be overdue for a new coaster in 2012, and I really wonder if CF would put new coasters in both parks on the same year. It's certainly possible. I never thought they would install 2 of the same ride in the same year like they are doing with WindSeeker.

My worry is that CP will get a new coaster and KI will be forced to wait another year. Too bad really, I think a good coaster at KI would have a much higher overall impact than one at CP does.

Cedar Point does have tons of rides. Before anybody disagrees with me, I'm pointing this towards major amusement parks (not Coney Island or places like that). While Cedar Point may be getting the most "attention" as a lot of people here have said, they have to. For an amusement park to keep getting visitors and to keep them coming back, AND to keep the general public excited, they must come out with things at least every two-three years. If they don't make a ride within ten years...well, the park is going to get less attention and less visitors.

Which is why I like how Kings Island has been adding rides using a good pattern, such as every two years. If it keeps 'em coming, keep on doing it!

^Tell that to Universal Orlando's Islands of Adventure!

The amount of publicity a park gets is decided on a number of factors. Marketability, thats one. When new attractions are interesting and advertised well, people become excited and want to go. People love to try new things.

The one, I believe is much more important, is the experience that park gives. If someone has a bad experience, its likely he or she won't return. On the other hand, if someone's whole family has a superb time at what they see as reasonable prices, they will return... quite often... and tell friends.

Carl Linder, Paramount, CBS and Cedar Fair. All four of these owners have gone for the big boom, only including the marketable stuff and, to cut costs, removing, cutting or not maintaining anything that they thought didn't have a decisive role towards wether or not people would want to come back.

Short term, things looked better than ever. Lowering the expenses meant a rise in profit... But not for long.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Uh, keep in mind that said ride has been closed at Universal Orlando for the better part of a month for "maintenance." Doesn`t exactly seem like a reliable ride since I believe that there was a maintenance bulletin issued by the manufacturer over an issue with the trains...

Yes, I understand that the Florida park usually shut down rides for months at a time to do routine maintenance that seasonal parks do during the offseason. However, for a new ride to suffer from an extended amount of downtime, downtime which from all accounts I`ve heard was unscheduled, is atypical. Usually, year round parks will post when they expect major attractions to close and reopen for rehab, so that guests who are planning their vacations know ahead of time and can try and plan their trip accordingly. Obviously, all rides and schedules are subject to unforeseen circumstances which may necessitate the changing of said schedules.

I would love to see a few "Classic rides" make a come back. Rotor, Bayern Kurve, Der spinning kegger(OOPS) I hope that is the real name. The Bayern Kurve was great for getting me ready for coasters. I know this was not a coaster, but it was a high-speed thrill ride with some fun g force. Kennywood brought this back, so KI should follow.

I think it's relatively safe to say that the days of the coaster wars are behind us. It got to a point that installing these mega million dollar machines simply didn't make much business sense from an ROI point of view (return on investment). Especially when these huge rides gave had troublesome histories in terms of maintenance and reliability. Smaller rides and attractions can still keep people coming through the gates and spending money. So why spend millions on an expensive Ferrari when a couple thousand dollar family sedan will get the job done?

• 2 weeks later...