TheCryptRaider

I know it won't likely happen, but here is something I'd like from an aesthetic point of view: replace the Back Lot Stunt Coaster with a GCI style, family sized wooden coaster. Something like Thunderhead or Kentucky Rumbler. Re-landscape the area there to make it green and lush like it once was. When they tore out the the antique cars, I thought a coaster like this would be a fabulous centerpiece to Kings Island.

I feel I must chime in on this... For the last few months I've been working on a plan for Kings Island's future. This plan consists of very cost efficient changes to the park that I could virtually guarantee to very much increase attendance.

Even though The Antique Cars were fun, as is Backlot Stunt Coaster, this area is prime real estate, so to speak. A part of my plan includes removing Backlot Stunt Coaster in/ around 7 years, for a large amphitheater, and an expanse of garden space, along with a few intriguing pieces of modern art, some of the original living sculptures, and a large number of comfortable benches.

(Before you say anything about this not being in Kings Island's marketing base, it quite easily could be. This is the seventh year of my plan. Many changes precede this.)

And how appropriate, since at one time the plan was to remove the Antique Cars and install....Hurler.

Gonna be honest here... That probably would sit really well with me, minus the "remove the Antique Cars" bit. I'm just saying.

FTW, who reserves the dot-dot-dot treatment for... Vekoma Inverts. Or at least the ones he's been on.

I feel I must chime in on this... For the last few months I've been working on a plan for Kings Island's future. This plan consists of very cost efficient changes to the park that I could virtually guarantee to very much increase attendance.

Even though The Antique Cars were fun, as is Backlot Stunt Coaster, this area is prime real estate, so to speak. A part of my plan includes removing Backlot Stunt Coaster in/ around 7 years, for a large amphitheater, and an expanse of garden space, along with a few intriguing pieces of modern art, some of the original living sculptures, and a large number of comfortable benches.

(Before you say anything about this not being in Kings Island's marketing base, it quite easily could be. This is the seventh year of my plan. Many changes precede this.)

What will the large amphitheater be used for? Note especially the underutilization of Timberwolf and of the large arenas in many Six Flags parks...It was not always thus.

Terp, student of marketing and parks, and ever curious

That will go over well...

I hardly think many people will see removing a steel coaster and replacing it with benches and art as an upgrade.

What will the large amphitheater be used for? Note especially the underutilization of Timberwolf and of the large arenas in many Six Flags parks...It was not always thus.

My idea was to bring in a worldwide famous musician to produce a massive amphitheater show, what I've described will be "the most utterly amazing spectacle you've ever seen." This show will be themed upon the ideas of unity, love, and world peace, with just about every theatrical element possible. (Terp, you remember the celebration idea I sent you a few months ago? This, I've thought up as a staple to the event.)

I have thrown a few ideas at the wall, musicians *I* would chose to produce such an event. The Black Eyed Peas stuck in my mind, as they work tirelessly for the peace among people, and have created some epic good music supporting such values. Listen to the song, Where is the Love?... It really does make you think.

For all of you who believe hip hop is generally pretty bad (including me), I'd still strongly suggest you listen to this. Its like nothing you've ever heard.

The song One Tribe has a very similar theme, but is portrayed in a much different way.

I hardly think many people will see removing a steel coaster and replacing it with benches and art as an upgrade.

Now that you mention it, I actually did decide against this "idea", during school today. To be honest, this "modern art park" was designed as filler space, and was never effectively thought out.

I've since developed a much better idea... Once that would be (rather) inexpensive, would be able to keep people occupied for hours, and would be incredibly marketable not only to Cincinnatians, but tourists as well. (Also, I must stress that my plans, as a whole, change the entire marketing base of Kings Island. In other words, you couldn't just look at any one year and expect it to be successful. Each change builds on the previous.)

I don't believe I'll go into any further detail. If certain Orlando amusement park operators were to need ideas, I'd want them to go directly to me.

Edit:

My ideas might be a little far out, but just remember one thing. When Gary Wachs first developed the idea for a massive Cincinnati- area theme park, Coney Island higher ups dismissed that very idea as outlandish, if not downright preposterous.

• 1 month later...

My idea was to bring in a worldwide famous musician to produce a massive amphitheater show, what I've described will be "the most utterly amazing spectacle you've ever seen." This show will be themed upon the ideas of unity, love, and world peace, with just about every theatrical element possible. (Terp, you remember the celebration idea I sent you a few months ago? This, I've thought up as a staple to the event.)

I have thrown a few ideas at the wall, musicians *I* would chose to produce such an event. The Black Eyed Peas stuck in my mind, as they work tirelessly for the peace among people, and have created some epic good music supporting such values. Listen to the song, Where is the Love?... It really does make you think.

For all of you who believe hip hop is generally pretty bad (including me), I'd still strongly suggest you listen to this. Its like nothing you've ever heard.

The song One Tribe has a very similar theme, but is portrayed in a much different way.

Now that you mention it, I actually did decide against this "idea", during school today. To be honest, this "modern art park" was designed as filler space, and was never effectively thought out.

I've since developed a much better idea... Once that would be (rather) inexpensive, would be able to keep people occupied for hours, and would be incredibly marketable not only to Cincinnatians, but tourists as well. (Also, I must stress that my plans, as a whole, change the entire marketing base of Kings Island. In other words, you couldn't just look at any one year and expect it to be successful. Each change builds on the previous.)

I don't believe I'll go into any further detail. If certain Orlando amusement park operators were to need ideas, I'd want them to go directly to me.

Edit:

My ideas might be a little far out, but just remember one thing. When Gary Wachs first developed the idea for a massive Cincinnati- area theme park, Coney Island higher ups dismissed that very idea as outlandish, if not downright preposterous.

I think your idea is half-good (from a financial perspective), and half-bad (from a public relations perspective).

First, going with the good, if CF is too deep in debt, then an outright freeze on new investments may not be enough to recoup. Cutting out rides with high maintenance costs and low use may help shallow the hole a little bit. I haven't been the park since I've moved out west, but Back Lot does seem a little gimmicky and I question its long-term appeal. It certainly doesn't have the staying power of The Beast or Vortex. I've also noticed interest in Adventure Express has declined dramatically over the years, and I daresay this ride, though an old favorite of mine (I'm an Indiana Jones fanatic, what can I say), seems like a prime candidate for the chopping block.

As for the bad: people generally don't go to amusement parks to see concerts, unless said concert is a festival. Six Flags New England, in its Riverside days, was a rather prominent host to Radio 104-fest back in the heady days of '90s rock. However, the large number of attendees at such events is likely to cause conflict with regular park-goers, who probably want nothing to do with large crowds of screaming inebriated music fans. As I see it, KI doesn't need a kitschy excuse like concerts to draw attendees to the park. Rides and reputation already serve as means to this end.

Also worth nothing here: for a time, Paramount did have a section of the park dedicated to showcasing various movie props (the Golden Idol from Radiers, Wayne's car, the Hunt for the Red October subs), and from what I remember that place was virtually deserted. People go to the park to ride the rides, and I don't think it a smart move to take rides out and replace them with what essentially amounts to nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to say what will happen in 2012. The uncertain future of SoB is holding alot of Cap Ex money in limbo right now. I recall someone from Cedar Fair publicly stating that a decision wouldn't be made until late 2011. It looks like they plan on seeing how Texas Giant rides and holds up to a season of operation. If fixing Texas Giant cost $10M, I could only imagine what it would cost to give SoB the same treatment. Even if CF likes what Rocky Mountain Amusement does with Texas Giant. and decides to hire them to redesign SoB, I doubt that it would be ready by Memorial Day, 2012. I think that it will either by their new ride for 2013 if it's not removed.

That might leave the 40th Anniversary a little short on funds for a major coaster installation. So what major attraction could they build that is not a budget breaker? I think that a ProSlide Rocket would be a great choice and could be done for under $6M. The Wildebeest at Holiday World is a blast and only cost them $5.5M. Judging by the layout of Boomerang Bay, Paramount may have had at least one more phase planned for the waterpark. The area between Snowy River Rampage and Tasmanian Typhoon would be great for a water coaster because of the terrain and because It could help connect the pathway from SRR & TT, forming a circle from its U shape. I think that Boomerang Bay is a little short on great attractions for a park like KI.

The main park is lacking a great water ride. Aside from a little pop of air, Congo Falls very underwhelming. It serves its purpose though. White Water Canyon is OK. The six passenger boats give this thing a poor capacity relative to its popularity on a hot summer day. The lack of water features, short ride length along with a faster than normal current make this one of the worst river rapids ride I have ever ridden. I rarely get very wet, let alone soaked.

I'm not sure if CF has much confidence left in Intamin at this point. Between the issues they had with Shoot the Rapids, I-305 & Pilgrims Plunge's smaller than promised splash, they are not looking like a viable option at this point. Mack is great but have a pretty tame catalog in comparison.

Here is a crazy idea that I have for a Mega Splash.

Type: Tracked Flume Ride, Splash: Non-Variable, Height: 150ft

Boats: 6-14 Passenger Boats (2,4,4,4) Hull of Boats designed to cut through water, Aqua Flow system similar to B&M's system on Diamondback, Griffon & Sheikra.

The bottom of the boat would have three water intakes. A large intake on the bottom center would flow to rear, projecting water at a 45 degree angle in front of the vessel. Two medium sized intakes on the bottom edges would flow to rear corners of boat projecting water at a 30 degree angle in front of the boat. This system would allow the boat to stop gradually as opposed the sudden deceleration of many traditional splash rides or expensive magnetic braking systems.

The Lift: Dual Elevators similar to the ones used on Pilgrims Plunge. The difference would be that instead of floating around a curve and entering a lift that tilts the boats to allow passage, the boats would exit the station, take a soft turn into one of two loading stations which would be located on the outer edge of each lift. The boats would rotate 180 degrees up the tower to its centralized location at the top. This would allow the boats and carriage to pass side by side and may require an additional support for each tower.

The Drop: Past Vertical: 95-97 degrees allowing a natural water fall. (Note: Water Fall would need to project outward toward pullout of the drop and be separated as to create a heavy mist as opposed to a wall of water.)

The Rest: After passing through the splash zone, the boats would enter a dark tunnel where a water fall awaits just to make sure that everyone gets absolutely drenched.

After exiting the tunnel, the boats would enter a second splash zone filled with water features and guest operated water cannons and then make the turn back into the station.

Crazy?

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps it is just me. I believe CF will continue to go on the path they are on right now with introducing an attraction AND a facelift. Rivertown/Diamondback in 2009, Boo Blasters on Boo Hill/Planet Snoopy in 2010, WindSeeker/Coney Mall in 2011... Question is..what pairing will be next?

I personally would like to see International Street given a facelift. New pavers, concrete sidewalks again (if not raised, at least flat to suggest a sidewalk). Along with lamps/hanging baskets, international flags, revamped fountains and seating options, new store(s) with a european flavor as well as new paint for all the international buildings and possibly the Eiffel Tower. New color maybe?

What do you all think?

• 2 months later...

Now that we are getting this Dino trail, I hope we still do get a larger ride in 2012, It would be really cool if they could do something to SOB and put some dino theming in it. I would really like the Texas giant treatment for it, but its still a long way off so I can't start thinking abut it quite yet.

I'd be happy with some atmosphere work. It'd be nice to see improvements to the landscaping, and I would love to see Racer with a retro paint job like in the Brady Bunch episode. I also would like to see some street performers as well. And how cool would it be if Tower Gardens was an actual garden?

I have an idea for a promotion for the park next year. I'm not sure how economically feasible it would be, but what if the park randomly selected a few days through the season, sent out an online blast via facebook, twitter, and their website offering the first, say, 500 guests who bought tickets online a chance to buy at the original price of $6 each. (This is where I get laughed off the forum)

^Something like that would really be nice to celebrate. I would love it if they did something celebrating the history of the park, and if they bring back lots of nostalgic things. But that might be more suitable for a 50th anniversary... I just hope they do something big to celebrate 40 years of our park :wub:

I'm thinking this Dino thing may not be costing Cedar Fair too much money, since its an exhibit I sort of figure they are working with the company because the company wants it there. I don't see it bringing too much extra traffic into the park. So, since I don't think its costing much. I would love to see a different kind of coaster. Maybe something like that new Green Lantern ride at Magic Mountain. Or a motobike coaster. Just something different. I have been hooked on Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 lately. I see all these cool coasters, and I'm just like "ahhh, if only" :)

This question has been asked on these forii many times. Yes, Cedar Point has all kinds of options, from stacking rides to putting rides in what is currently the parking lot and moving parking onto the mainland to removing some of the employee housing and doing likewise. Then there's things like Mean Streak...