TheCryptRaider

Same information, but from Kings Island's Twitter

@KingsIslandPR We will announce a major new attraction for our 40th anniversary season in 2012 tomorrow at 2:00pm at the park.

While there has been relatively little hype and from what I could tell at the park on Friday, no visible construction yet, I am more intrigued now that the park itself is referring to this as a "major new attraction" for the park's 40th and the fact that they are making the announcement on Friday at the park at the beginning of a busy holiday weekend. Gives the impression that they are proud of what they are announcing as opposed to posting the new attraction on Facebook at 3 AM...

But then again, this is a "major new attraction for our 40th anniversary." I hate to nit-pick on wording, but they did not say "ride," and the fact that they equate it with the 40th anniversary comes across to me as a new show that celebrates the park's history, or something... I don't know obviously but that's my first impression.

And as for Son of Beast, not only will it take a good long time to redesign it, but I'd imagine they'd want that time frame to involve as much of autumn / spring / summer as possible, and as little during the winter as they can manage.

Same information, but from Kings Island's Twitter

@KingsIslandPR We will announce a major new attraction for our 40th anniversary season in 2012 tomorrow at 2:00pm at the park.

While there has been relatively little hype and from what I could tell at the park on Friday, no visible construction yet, I am more intrigued now that the park itself is referring to this as a "major new attraction" for the park's 40th and the fact that they are making the announcement on Friday at the park at the beginning of a busy holiday weekend. Gives the impression that they are proud of what they are announcing as opposed to posting the new attraction on Facebook at 3 AM...

Indeed.

On another note, I will be at the park tomorrow. I wonder where in the park the announcement will be made. I'd like to see it in person.

EDIT: I finally gave in and created a Twitter account to ask them. This is the reply I received. My response: http://twitter.com/#...321608262455296

And as for Son of Beast, not only will it take a good long time to redesign it, but I'd imagine they'd want that time frame to involve as much of autumn / spring / summer as possible, and as little during the winter as they can manage.

If i'm not mistaken, havent they had the better part of 2 years to redesign and reconfigure?

But then again, this is a "major new attraction for our 40th anniversary." I hate to nit-pick on wording, but they did not say "ride," and the fact that they equate it with the 40th anniversary comes across to me as a new show that celebrates the park's history, or something... I don't know obviously but that's my first impression.

I was thinking the same thing.

If i'm not mistaken, havent they had the better part of 2 years to redesign and reconfigure?

Yes, but this isn't a flat ride we're talking about. We are talking about the world's only wooden hypercoaster here, and a massive one at that. At the same time, it has had problems since day -100 (since it was under construction!). And if the refit fails to solve problems, then SoB would still be torn down and the re-fit money wasted. They have to think long and hard about this. As far as I know, it could become Son of Beast Forever.

And yes, a refit would probably not make SoB ready until 2013. Remember how long it took to turn Texas Giant into a hybrid?

I honestly think SOB is the last thing on their mind...

Get over it everyone.

And yes, a refit would probably not make SoB ready until 2013. Remember how long it took to turn Texas Giant into a hybrid?

And that doesn't even factor in all the planning before hand. According to Dick Kinzel, they were considering the idea earlier this summer. I assume it's safe to say Rocky Mountain probably hasn't even been to the park to look over the ride. And with a new CEO coming in, who knows what will happen.

I'm not going to be one that toots the SOB horn, and say that it is what is going to be announced tomorrow, but everyone makes it sound like there is no way there has been planning going on about what is going to happen to SOB, and that if it gets announced tomorrow that it would be the first day of planning. I would be willing to bet there is a plan in the works for what is going to happen to SOB.

Anyway back on topic,if it were a ride of somesort annoucned tomorrow, it seems quite a few people assume the ride has to be open opening day, which means they only have till April to get it running. It could not open till June, which would give them an extra 2 (non winter) months to work. Just trying to not be so narrow minded as we await tomorrows announcement...

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&style=o&form=HPSFLT

Found it interesting, that as you move around, change direction of views, etc using the Bing bird's eye view the Son of Beast switches from having a loop, to having no loop. I also found it interesting, that some of the photos (presumably during the looping SOB days) don't show any work in the Diamondback area, while other areas clearly show the station ground work being done. What I found interesting, is that I would have assumed there would be visable evidence of clearing work, footers out in the woods for Diamondback at the same time, but there doesn't appear to be any. Not that this has anything to do w/ the new attraction, but I guess it shows that the more detail oriented work around the station takes much more time than putting down the supports out in the track run after the lift hill where its' footer, support, track, repeat.

If I had to guess, if that is indeed a firehydrant, its something around the race car track in the Action Zone. There's some prett open land there, as well as some road going back into the outerzones of king's island with some structures back there. Whenever we catch the fireworks, we grab some icecream and sit back there for a great view. Its a pretty underutilized area with Son of Beast down.

Many Six Flags parks just announced new roller coasters for 2012, has there been clearing yet? Maybe a small coaster like this one for KI and if someone says "OMG people there is not going to be a new coaster" one more time... Like stated before maybe it will open mid-season.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CWIZ7cEZNog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like 1

EDIT: I finally gave in and created a Twitter account to ask them. This is the reply I received. My response: http://twitter.com/#...321608262455296

...They're holding an announcement in the Room of Requirement?

i think having it there would be a universal problem.

Heh. If I don't get a reply to my last tweet, I'll just stop in Guest Services on my way in tomorrow and ask them.

Many Six Flags parks just announced new roller coasters for 2012, has there been clearing yet? Maybe a small coaster like this one for KI and if someone says "OMG people there is not going to be a new coaster" one more time... Like stated before maybe it will open mid-season.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CWIZ7cEZNog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good point - we don't have the get the ride on opening day. DA! opened in late May opposed to opening day.

• Like 1

So how long after They announce it will we know what it is? For us that arent going to be at the park? I hope someone gets on here right away and tells us or Kings Island updates the site right away. I dont think i can wait until the 5:00 news lol

I am not saying SOB will be part of the announcement tomorrow but when they changed the kid area to Planet Snoopy they called it new. There are only a few pictures about 2012 so we all really don't know much of anything...

How right you are.

11_6999_SP_Fall_hdr.jpg

But is it a hint about a waterpark addition?

Or is it just the new labeling that the park's websites all seem to be getting?

2for1.gif

Or...

fire.jpg

GYK, who likes to get his hopes up about certain things despite all evidence to the contrary.