Unofficial KIC Road Trip

OK, I've mentioned this before, and here’s what I have in mind…an unofficial KIC road trip! Mrs. Gator and GatorGirl are going to be in Florida visiting my mother-in-law (aka Nana Gator). I’m not able to go because I don’t have as many vacation days as Mrs. Gator, and I need to save mine up for our trips the rest of the year. So while they’re enjoying Daytona Beach, I decided I should have some fun too…and only use one precious vacation day!

On Friday, May 1st, I’ll be going to Kings Island. Yes, I know its Math & Science Day. Yes, I know it will be full of kids. But…I can deal with that. Rare is the time when I can ride as many of the “big” rides as I want. I love going with GatorGirl, and I wouldn’t trade anything for those trips. But it’s nice to get away for an adult trip.

If anyone would like to go and meet there, just let me know! Just to let you know, I ride anything and everything, all the coasters, all the flats…except Drop Tower. :( Believe me, I’ve ridden it before and I love that ride, but due to Intamin’s tighter restrictions I no longer fit in it. Darn seatbelts! But if you want to ride it, I’ll gladly wait…

Now for the main event. The next day, Saturday May 2nd, would anybody be interested in an unofficial KIC road trip to visit another park? Unfortunately, CP won’t be open yet (which is probably a good thing, given the number of Intamins they have and my inability to enjoy them now… the day would be torture for me if I went there not being able to ride Maverick, Millie, TTD and WT!), but there are plenty of other parks that we could go to. Below is a list of parks I have in mind, with some basic info and the positives and negatives (in my opinion) of each park. So, in no particular order…

Holiday World - Santa Claus, IN (about 3 hours from KI)

Park Hours: 9:30 – 5:30 Central (10:30 – 6:30 Eastern, 8 hours)

Admission Price: $39.95 at gate, $35.95 online…or best deal: bring a Pepsi can to the gate to get $7 off ($32.95)

http://www.holidayworld.com/

Positives:

1. Voyage

2. Legend

3. Raven

4. Pilgrims Plunge, only the tallest water ride in the world!

5. Turkey Whirl

6. Voyage

7. Some of the friendliest park employees I’ve ever encountered anywhere

8. “Free” drinks!

9. “Free” parking!

10. Yummy food at pretty reasonable prices (Plymouth Rock Café is wonderful!)

11. Voyage

12. Gobbler Getaway…

13. …and other fun flats

14. Personal greeting by Pat Koch (at least both times I’ve been before)

15. Trams

16. Voyage

17. I’ve only experienced the Dive show, but from what I hear the others are good too

18. Voyage

19. Voyage

20. …and oh yeah, did I mention Voyage? (This is based on my personal opinion, not just “popular opinion”. For me, it’s tied with Beast as my favorite woodie. Just as others love SOB and Mean Streak *shudder*, I do truly love this ride…and Raven and Legend are right up there too).

Negatives:

1. It’s their opening day

2. I’m already going on June 15th…but can this really be counted as a negative though? Two visits is a good thing! And I'd have more opportunities to ride Voyage, Legend and Raven on this trip than I would going with Mrs. Gator and GatorGirl!

3. The waterpark is closed. Some would consider this a good thing, but I like their waterpark. Oh well, I’ll be there June 15th anyway.

Indiana Beach – Monticello, IN (about 3 hours 45 minutes from KI)

Park Hours: 11:00 – 6:00 Eastern (7 hours)

Admission Price: Free to enter, rides and attractions are separate. A book of 10 attraction tickets is $23.00. Pay One Price (POP) tickets are $26.95.

http://www.indianabeach.com/

Positives:

1. I’ve never been there, so this would be a new experience for me

2. Cornball Express

3. Steel Hawg

4. Hoosier Hurricane looks fun

5. Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain looks…interesting…

6. Can you really go wrong with a Galaxi?

7. Air Crow – some of the best flying scooters around according to flyeraddicts.com, and they’re over the lake!

8. Water Swing…it’s like Zephyr, but over the lake!

9. A relaxing ride on the Shafer Queen sounds nice.

10. Tilt-A-Whirl!

11. Dr. Frankenstein’s Haunted Castle – “Voted the World’s #1 Walkthrough Attraction for 2008”

12. Pronto Pups. I’ve had corndogs, but never a Pronto Pup, which are endorsed by KIC’s own Gordon Bombay and multiple times by Terpy.

Negatives:

1. It’s their opening day

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom – Louisville, KY (2 hours from KI)

Park Hours: 11:00 – 7:00 (8 hours)

Admission Price: $39.99 at gate, $24.99 online

http://www.sixflags.com/kentuckyKingdom/index.aspx

Positives

1. …

2. …

3. …

4. …cricket chirps

5. …

6. …anyone?...anyone?...Bueller?…Bueller?…

7. OK, here’s one… KI’s old Flying Dutchman! Nostalgia!

8. Could be the last chance to go while it’s owned by Six Flags

Negatives

1. This park, along with Lesourdsville Lake, rank as my two worst park experiences ever. Dare I give it a second chance?

2. Twisted Twins…just SBNO…

Dollywood – Pigeon Forge, TN (5 hours from KI)

Park Hours: 9:00 – 8:00 (11 hours)

Admission Price: $53.50

http://www.dollywood.com/

Positives:

1. It’s one of the best parks I’ve ever been to

2. Thunderhead

3. Tennessee Tornado

4. Mystery Mine

5. Blazing Fury

6. Mountain Slidewinder

7. Daredevil Falls

8. Dollywood Express

9. Some of the best, most well produced shows I’ve ever seen at a park

10. As with HW, some of the friendliest park employees I’ve ever encountered anywhere

11. Terrific food

12. Wonderful craftsmen and shops

13. It's hours are the longest that day of any of the parks listed

Negatives:

1. The admission price is a little higher than the other options, but worth it.

2. With the 5 hour drive each way, to properly enjoy the park at least one overnight stay would be ideal… it may be a little too rough to drive down, go to the park and drive back all in one day, but it could be done. But if we did an overnight stay, you’d have they added expense of a motel room too. I'm sure we could share rooms if everyone is comfortable doing so (but do we know each other well enough, or want to know each other well enough to do that? :lol:). Boys in one room, girls in another of course. If Dollywood is the prevailing park, we can discuss later whether to do a one day trek or stay overnight. My only limitation is that I have to be at the Dayton Airport by 5:45 on Sunday to pick up the family, which should be no problem.

3. Sha-Kon-O-Hey! looks like a good show, but it won’t be open until the following weekend.

So those are my thoughts. I'd like to spend as much time as possible at whatever park we end up at, so that may mean a bright and early start (but who of us wouldn't be willing to wake up early for a park?). If you’d seriously like to go, just post that you would and what park(s) you prefer. I wanted to get this topic posted in enough time for people to make arrangements for going, whether that be requesting off from work or whatever. Once we get some responses here, I’ll keep a tally of the votes each park gets from those interested in going. And then once we’ve settled on a park and as the date gets closer, we’ll finalize the plans.

And don’t forget the trip to KI on May 1st if you’re interested too!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in Holiday World, Beech Bend or Indiana Beach. Dollywood would be a stretch as it'd be an overnight stay, though I might have a connection there that would net me a free room for the night. I'm not getting my Six Flags season pass until the last week in May (at SFA since they also offer parking passes, SFKK does not) so I'd rather wait on SFKK until I've got my pass.

Of the parks listed, I'm voting for Holiday World. Is it really going to be that busy on opening day, and how many people will be flocking to Pilgrim's Plunge (leaving the coasters with less lines) and it's shiny newness? I'm not big on water parks to start with, so the fact it's not open has no bearing on the decision for me, and might keep the crowds down a bit. This would also push my decision for which May ACE event to attend over to the one at BGE since I'll have already experienced HW.

My only dilemma with this trip is...the prior two weekends I'll be at KI (weather permitting), and then the next weekend I'll be at KI as well (RWW)...translation...a break will likely need to be in order!! :o

A break?? From amusement parks?? :blink:

My coaster withdrawal is so bad that I'll ride Son of Beast at this point.

KI on May 1 is a maybe for me. Last time I went on math and science day, the park was jam packed with busloads of bratty line jumpers. It made for a frustrating day for my friend and I to the point where we left hours earlier than we had planned.

I'm going to Holiwood Nights this year. Not sure exactly when I'm hitting up SFKK though, so I'll get back to you on that.

KI on May 1 is a maybe for me. Last time I went on math and science day, the park was jam packed with busloads of bratty line jumpers. It made for a frustrating day for my friend and I to the point where we left hours earlier than we had planned.

Well, we could both wear our "Line Jumping Is Not a Sporting Event" shirts and have fun yelling at those pesky kids! :lol:

I think I remember reading somewhere on here that the first M&S Day last year wasn't too bad, but I worked at the park long enough to know that that can vary greatly from year to year depending on their bookings. But I'm going anyway.

And tiggy... a break??? What kind of thoosie are you? :lol: I'll be at KI on April 18th and May 1st, possibly on the 26th, then at RWW. I guess some people can have too much of a good thing. ;)

As far as my original post, I considered Dollywood to be a long shot, I just threw it in there because it's a nice park and a lot has been added since the last time I was there. And I'm sorry if I seemed a little harsh on SFKK, I know there's people who love the place. But despite my previous bad experience there, since it's one of the closest parks I consider it to be an option. Who knows, maybe they'll be able to change my mind if I go there again.

You DO realize Camden Park does open May 2...right?

http://www.camdenpark.com/calendar.html

I do. I looked at Camden Park as an option, but kind of threw it out. I read Gordon Bombay's PTR, and it sounds like a decent park. However, the reason I didn't list it is because it just doesn't sound to me like there's enough to do there for us. It sounds like a good place to take my family sometime, but when you click on Major Rides on their website, and it lists only 9 rides, it doesn't quite seem like enough.

This is also the reason I didn't list Beech Bend. Another park that looks like a fun place to take my family, but not quite enough for a group of KICers. Indiana Beach at least has a nice collection of adult coasters, that's why it was included. And yes, I know Beech Bend has Kentucky Rumbler, Looping Star and Wild Mouse. Indiana Beach's collection just seemed a little more complete to me.

But hey, we can throw Camden Park and Beech Bend in the mix too. Why not? I'm flexible. I've never been to either one, so they may surprise me!

Camden Park - Huntington, WV (3 hours 25 minutes from KI)

Park Hours: 11:00 - 7:30 (7 1/2 hours)

Admission Price: $20.99

http://www.camdenpark.com/

Beech Bend - Bowling Green, KY (3 hours 40 minutes from KI)

Park Hours: 10:00 - 6:00 (8 hours)

Admission Price: Gate Admission $10 + Ride tickets at 50 cents each or pack of 50 tickets for $20. Or the all day wristband includes park admission and unlimited rides for $24.00

http://www.beechbend.com/Amusement%20Park.htm

At Camden, that is not a list of rides, but only pictures of representative attractions.

They have, just off the top of my head, 17: Hot Kat (a cool Caterpillar ride in a building with rock music--it used to go backwards, but no longer does), a freaky fast Ferris Wheel, a Magic Rainbow/Crazy Orbit type ride, a park model Paratrooper, the Big Dipper (NAD, 1958, with one of the two original trains, still operated by big old brake levers and the ride operator, with fin brakes), Haunted House (a Pretzel with a gravity driven system after the lift hill, many call this a coaster, rcdb does not, but I do not know why...the braking system is the operator catching the cars), a wicked fast Spider, a relatively new set of Flying Scooters that few can snap and that do not have a brake, a Scrambler, a classic Whip, Dodgems that run fairly fast, a Skyliner ski lift type ride that goes over the miniature golf course, a Sky Diver (one of few left), a Barr Engineering flume (Americana fans, don't get your hopes up that high...it's good, but a rapids ride it ain't), a Kite Flyer, a Tilt-A-Whirl, a CP Huntington train whose engine lists to one side, and the miniature golf course. Quite a bit more than nine rides, actually. In addition, the classic and last remaining Lil Dipper NAD kiddie coaster is there, and adults CAN ride it. I have not included the kiddie rides, other than Lil Dipper. There is a classic set of ponies and carts, the little circle boat ride, a kiddie Mangels whip, hand cars, kiddie turnpike, etc. Unlike the park, I did NOT include the merry-go-round in the adult ride list...since it long ago lost its original horses and long before that its organ, it if ever had one.

The food includes wonderful Pronto Pups, classic park pizza at reasonable prices and a cafeteria which will serve I know not what this year.

Just a thought....

Beech Bend also has much to offer. It's very hard to judge a park to which you have not been. Also, coupons for discounts off that admission price should appear on the web soon.

Well, let's see, they ain't on the website, and I've been to that park a few times more than I have Beech Bend...I'd try to do it for that park, but I'd leave too many out! :) Many of us here could do the same thing for Kings Island, Kennywood, Cedar Point, etc. It's all in how you remember things...I covered the rides in a geographic fashion for the most part, remembering what is beside what...and reminding myself what is long gone, like Jack Rabbit, Tip Top, the West Virginia Turnpike, the skating rink, etc.

It's very hard to judge a park to which you have not been.

That's true. I was mostly depending on their websites and rcdb. Now that you list all that, Camden looks to be more attractive than just the 9 rides I saw on their website. I would think that the park would want a more complete representation of themselves online, but I realize that there may be reasons they're not able to do it themselves.

Terpy is right--I can rattle off just about every attraction at wdw--you work there long enough, you know. Also, about a road trip--I'd avoid Indiana Beach. They may advertise there is more than corn in Indiana but that park isn't worth the money. The new coaster looks cool, but that is about all they have to offer..the Cornball Express is on par with The Racer. They have a 'waterpark' area that incorporates much of Lake Shaeffer, but that lake (at least around IB) is pretty dirty. I know the park is pretty dirty as well, but hopefully the new owners have cleaned it up. Most of the other flats are carnival type rides you can find in your avg summer carnival staged in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

I'm going to take the wise advice I received from a very helpful kat on here and basically "reboot" this topic. So no more options... that really bogged down the topic and I've learned from my mistakes. I'm making an executive decision and choosing a park. So here we go...

*hits CTL-ALT-DEL on topic*

OK, I've mentioned this before, and here’s what I have in mind…an unofficial KIC road trip! Mrs. Gator and GatorGirl are going to be in Florida visiting my mother-in-law (aka Nana Gator). I’m not able to go because I don’t have as many vacation days as Mrs. Gator, and I need to save mine up for our trips the rest of the year. So while they’re enjoying Daytona Beach, I decided I should have some fun too…and only use one precious vacation day!

On Friday, May 1st, I’ll be going to Kings Island. Yes, I know its Math & Science Day. Yes, I know it will be full of kids. But…I can deal with that. Rare is the time when I can ride as many of the “big” rides as I want. I love going with GatorGirl, and I wouldn’t trade anything for those trips. But it’s nice to get away for an adult trip.

If anyone would like to go and meet there, just let me know! Just to let you know, I ride anything and everything, all the coasters, all the flats…except Drop Tower. :( Believe me, I’ve ridden it before and I love that ride, but due to Intamin’s tighter restrictions I no longer fit in it. Darn seatbelts! But if you want to ride it, I’ll gladly wait…

Now for the main event. The next day, Saturday May 2nd, would anybody be interested in an unofficial KIC road trip to visit another park? Unfortunately, CP won’t be open yet (which is probably a good thing, given the number of Intamins they have and my inability to enjoy them now… the day would be torture for me if I went there not being able to ride Maverick, Millie, TTD and WT!), but there is a nice little park a couple hours to the west of here. So, is anyone up for a trip to…

Holiday World - Santa Claus, IN (about 3 hours from KI)

Park Hours: 9:30 – 5:30 Central (10:30 – 6:30 Eastern, 8 hours)

Admission Price: $39.95 at gate, $35.95 online…or best deal: bring a Pepsi can to the gate to get $7 off ($32.95)

http://www.holidayworld.com/

Positives:

1. Voyage

2. Legend

3. Raven

4. Pilgrims Plunge, only the tallest water ride in the world!

5. Turkey Whirl

6. Voyage

7. Some of the friendliest park employees I’ve ever encountered anywhere

8. “Free” drinks!

9. “Free” parking!

10. Yummy food at pretty reasonable prices (Plymouth Rock Café is wonderful!)

11. Voyage

12. Gobbler Getaway…

13. …and other fun flats

14. Personal greeting by Pat Koch (at least both times I’ve been before)

15. Trams

16. Voyage

17. I’ve only experienced the Dive show, but from what I hear the others are good too

18. The early close time will allow us to get back home at a pretty reasonable hour (new positive posted 4/1)

19. Voyage

20. Voyage

21. …and oh yeah, did I mention Voyage? (This is based on my personal opinion, not just “popular opinion”. For me, it’s tied with Beast as my favorite woodie. Just as others love SOB and Mean Streak *shudder*, I do truly love this ride…and Raven and Legend are right up there too).

Negatives:

1. It’s their opening day...although I don't know what a typical opening day for them is like. It may not be too bad since they're not located as close to a major metropolitan area as KI is. I just don't know...

2. I’m already going on June 15th…but can this really be counted as a negative though? Two visits is a good thing! And I'd have more opportunities to ride Voyage, Legend and Raven on this trip than I would going with Mrs. Gator and GatorGirl!

3. The waterpark is closed. Some would consider this a good thing, but I like their waterpark. Oh well, I’ll be there June 15th anyway.

So those are my thoughts. I'd like to spend as much time as possible there, so that may mean a bright and early start (but who of us wouldn't be willing to wake up early for a park?). If you’d seriously like to go, just post that you would. I wanted to get this topic posted in enough time for people to make arrangements for going, whether that be requesting off from work or whatever. Once the date gets closer and we determine who's going, we’ll finalize the plans such as where to meet and what time, etc.

And don’t forget the trip to KI on May 1st if you’re interested too!

Now violakat, about that "tentative" in your signature for May 2nd... :lol:

Camden Park and Beach Bend are 2 places I really wanna go - went to Indiana Beach last year and it was a delightful park, a lot of rides were closed, however, which was disapointing. I managed 1 ride on the paratroopers before the closed it, cornball express was closed and there were others. The Pirates Den though would be a must ride, that is the coolest!

Bump :)

i'm very interested. i have been trying to get to holiday world for years now....

all i have to do is work on the financials.... AND GETTING OFF WORK.... grrr it would be awesome to have a group of people to go with!

Hopefully you can work this out. We'd be happy to have you along. The more the merrier!

To recap, so far we have:

KI on Friday, May 1st

Me

Giga (maybe)

HW on Saturday, May 2nd

Me

violakat

specialk141 (maybe)

Again, if you're interested just post that you are!

^^Again, I contend this weekend should be for yard work, sleeping in, laundry, and Mother's Day gift buying sandwiched in between 3 other KI weekends of 4/18, 4/25-26, and 5/9-10...but maybe I'm just not as die-hard as I thought!?

(also remember CP's opening weekend of 5/16-17)