Unofficial KIC Road Trip

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding sunscreen - anything over SPF 30 really isn't any more effective. 15 is recommended for adults and 30 for children or those with incredibly fair skin. I use 30 and do not burn when I reapply it often. The important thing is making sure it protects against UVA and UVB, because some sunscreens will only protect against UVA, so you can still get burned even with correctly applied amounts.

Anyway. Finished with the little science lesson. :lol: I carry a small bottle of SPF 30 in my pocket to any and all parks and reapply it any time I begin to feel the sun through my layer of it - you can get pocket sized bottles for about $1.50 at Wal-Mart, they usually have them in the 'impulse items' in the checkout lanes. I burn very, very easily and have had a severely blistered burn on my shoulders from too much time at KI when I was about 9 years old, so I'm super cautious. I also wear a hat when I'm not on rides for added protection. After 3 days in the park this weekend, I am not burned in the slightest (though I did get a little bit on opening day because I failed to apply it to my forearms).

Gator should be posting meetup times and places soon, we were just discussing them a little while ago. Only 4 more days left!

OK, here are the Official Plans for The Unofficial KIC Road Trip and KI Meet:

KI on Friday, May 1st: Gator, Violakat, Beast Man, Kawana, Kittenpooh (and possibly Indyguy4KI)

After discussing it with kat, we figured it would be best to meet somewhere away from the front gate because that area can get a little busy (unless we see each other outside the metal detectors anyway). DB ERT starts at 9:30, and I liked kat's suggestion of meeting on the porch of the Diamondback Gift Shop. So let's meet there at 9:30. There probably won't be too many people standing on that porch so we should be easy to spot. If you don't know any of the other people going, just look for me. In honor of it being Math & Science Day, I'll be wearing my Anti-Line Jumping shirt. So just look for this on the front:

14588911v1_350x350_Front_Color-AshGrey.j

and this on the back:

14588911v1_350x350_Back_Color-AshGrey.jp

If you're on the list above and you don't already have my cell #, I'll be PM'ing it to you to use if you're not able to meet up until later, that way we can let you know where in the park we are when you get there.

Holiday World on Saturday, May 2nd: Gator, Violakat, Beast Man, clbehymer (and possibly specialk141)

Anyone in the northern Cincinnati area or north of there, please meet in the TriCounty Mall parking lot, closest to Krazy City. That part of the mall has a big sign for BJ's restaurant on it, and it's the part closest to the intersection of Kemper and 747. I've met there for road trips to CP before, it's a good location because it's so close to I-75, which we'll be going south on. Since it will be early morning, there should hardly be anyone else in the mall's parking lot. I drive a navy blue Chevy Impala, so look for that. Anyone who wants to ride with me is more than welcome... I love driving... just ask Mrs. Gator, who hasn't driven on one of our vacations or road trips since about 1997. :lol: And since it takes 3 hours to get to HW, I'd like to leave TriCounty at 7:15.

Beast Man, I see in your profile that you're from Northern Kentucky. Instead of having you drive all that way north just to go south again, we could meet you somewhere along the way, like right off of an exit of 71/75. Just let me know what would be convenient for you, we should be passing through Northern Kentucky at about 7:30 - 7:45.

clbehymer and I have already worked out where we'll meet up with her since she's in Indiana already. We'll be meeting her off of an exit in Louisville.

And then we should be at HW close to opening time! Remember, the best discount they have for admission right now is to bring a Pepsi can to their front gate.

I'm really looking forward to these two days of fun, kind of a prequel to Ride Warriors Weekend! Thanks to all of those who have responded, and if you haven't yet but are interested, there's still time! Just let us know below...

Edited by XGatorHead 8904

Now wait a tick, regarding the 7:15 leaving time, this is accounting for the time zone change, correct??

Also, HW isn't going to be nearly as busy enough to warrant getting there at rope drop...I'd be taking a more leisurely pace (only to preserve myself for the long-haul! :D)

For those that are going with us to Holiday World... I sell the discount tickets through my work and they are $32.25. What is the discount with a Pepsi can?

If you guys want I can bring enough with me and then you can just pay me back when we meet up. Sound like a good idea???

We need more for friday!! Thats an odd number. Someone is gonna be sitting alone :(

I don't think I will be coming. I found out yesterday that I have to work Saturday from 11 pm to 3 am. I don't need to be exhausted from KI and try to work those hours! Hopefully I can come on the next unofficial trip. Thanks for the invite Gator!!

Beatle, hopefully we'll see you there! From what I understand about your boys, I want my daughter to be like them when it comes to the park (and I think I'm doing a pretty good job so far... just look at the last paragraph in my latest update. :lol:)

We will certainly be there in the evening. Friday nights at KI are pretty much a tradition here!!! I love the first drop on The Beast after a long week at work!! I can almost feel the stress being pulled out of me!!! You are doing great with your daughter! Our kids obviously have good genes...:)

Now wait a tick, regarding the 7:15 leaving time, this is accounting for the time zone change, correct??

Also, HW isn't going to be nearly as busy enough to warrant getting there at rope drop...I'd be taking a more leisurely pace (only to preserve myself for the long-haul!

Now tiggy, of course I did the math... Leave at 7:15, three hour drive, gets us there at 10:15 which adjusts to 9:15 central time and the park opens at 9:30.

I've never been to an opening day at HW, so that's a good reason to me to get there early. I know they're not located as close to several metropolitan areas as KI, but you never know, there could be a previously unknown legion of water ride thoosies there for the opening of Pilgrim's Plunge! :lol:

For those that are going with us to Holiday World... I sell the discount tickets through my work and they are $32.25. What is the discount with a Pepsi can?

If you guys want I can bring enough with me and then you can just pay me back when we meet up. Sound like a good idea???

With the Pepsi can discount, the price is $32.95. That's pretty close to your rate at work, so it doesn't really matter if you get one for me or if I get it at the gate. Thanks for the offer, I think I can swing the extra 14 nickels! :lol:

I don't mind being the odd one out on Friday. So long as you guys don't mind me using the single rider line.
Oh yeah? Just try to prove that you're alone, I dare you! ;) But seriously, I don't mind being the odd one out either.

You are doing great with your daughter! Our kids obviously have good genes...
Of course they do...just look at who their parents are! :lol:

Indyguy & angrybeaver, maybe next time!

We are now giving out discount coupons at Hardees for Holiday World. We are also having a drawing for two free tickets. This is in Indiana of course.
Mmmmmm....Hardee's..... I wish we still had those here in Cincy. Of course, I'm probably a lot better off health-wise now that we don't! :lol:

Gator, who also misses Fazoli's and Friendly's, and is greatly looking forward to having dinner at Friendly's followed by a Reese's Pieces Sundae after I pick up Mrs. Gator and GatorGirl at the Dayton airport this Sundae... er, Sunday. Hey, I'm allowed one. I've been good and lost 25 lbs in the last twelve weeks, I can have a treat every now and then and that sundae is worth it!

Edited by XGatorHead 8904

I think leaving a little extra time built into the schedule is a good idea. Gives us time to stop for breakfast along the way or compensate for traffic jams. Don't forget what's going on this weekend in Louisville - I wouldn't be surprised if we run into a traffic snarl there.

I Google mapped from Franklin OH to Santa Claus IN, and it says 3 hours 17 minutes. I find Google maps to overestimate a bit (it's probably off by 20 minutes in this case) so 3 hours is a good guess.

Gator - do you have a GPS? If not, I'll bring my TomTom. That way we can renavigate around traffic problems if necessary.

Gator, who also misses Fazoli's and Friendly's, and is greatly looking forward to having dinner at Friendly's followed by a Reese's Pieces Sundae after I pick up Mrs. Gator and GatorGirl at the Dayton airport this Sundae... er, Sunday.

Mmmm Friendly's Reese's Pieces Sundae. Now you have got me hungry. I haven't been to a Friendly's in 15 years.

P.S. Great job on the 25 lbs!

Gator - do you have a GPS? If not, I'll bring my TomTom. That way we can renavigate around traffic problems if necessary.
I don't have one, so that would be great.

Mmmm Friendly's Reese's Pieces Sundae. Now you have got me hungry. I haven't been to a Friendly's in 15 years.
There's one right near the Dayton airport (which we fly into/out of a majority of the time) and another right across Speedway Blvd from the Daytona Beach airport (which is the other airport we fly into/out of a majority of the time). So we hit up one or the other about once a year.

P.S. Great job on the 25 lbs!
Thanks! It's been hard work, but worth it. I actually had to buy a smaller belt last weekend! :D

Yes I work at Hardees and I too hate the Country Potatoes. But sadly they are here to stay and if I get caught saying I dislike them I could lose my job. Good thing I'm going to school for graphic design. The point of my post wasn't about the food though it was about our discount coupons and the two free tickets giveaway.

^^Hey Corey, if you're coming from Columbus, there's the whole new bypass from 65 South to 64 West that you'll be taking that'll skip most of the L'ville traffic anyway, so you should be fine! :D

The people already on 64 West (coming from Cincy) is another thing.