What would you change?

MarketingExpress

I know I shouldn't say this and it isn't the easiest to get into and out of the park when you want, but if you plan on staying for most of the day. You could always find a park and ride parking lot, like say at Fields Ertel Rd then take the Metro Bus to the KI park and ride lot and walk to the front gate. Then you would only be paying bus fair which is cheaper and you have plan your arrival and departure around the bus schedule but its cheaper.

That's a great suggestion! Considering that the park and ride is next to 71 North/South it's a great place to park. The buses I belive also run till around midnight. You can call 513-621-4455 to get the Bus infoformation. I belive the park and ride number for Fields Ertel lot is 15.

Of course, car pooling is great as well. Also, if you want to leave the park and come back the same day and you already paid for parking, you can get a ticket from Guest Relations before you leave so you don't have to pay for parking again.

Gosh........what would I do?

1. I'd keep the Hanna-Barbera characters in Hanna-Barbera Land and International Street indefinitely.

2. I'd have International Street absorb Oktoberfest up to and including Festhaus and give the rest of Oktoberfest to Paramount Action Zone.

3. I'd bring back the Star Trek characters to the park - but probably keep them in Paramount Action Zone.

4. I'd replace LaRosa's with Sbarro Pizza.

5. I'd build an indoor log flume not too different from Pirates of the Caribbean.

6. I'd have all places in the park that sell beer offer wine as well. As a good Italian, I never drink beer, just wine.

Hey Chef about HBland i would keep em too! but sadly times change i grew up with HB too then nick came out with Ren&Stimpy,Rockos modern life,Ahhh real monsters,Angry Beavers,Rugrats...and thats when i switched but i have never stopped liking HB noooo way i love Scooby and the rest em way too much...i am in the middle i grew up with both worlds so i am glad nick is taking over and then again i wanna keep HB! and i would choose Wine over beer as well! blink.gif

Edited by Scooby_Doo

Clevelands Sea World before Six Flags took over, I'm not sure if it's still there or not, they had a 3D Pirates Adventure attraction, it was inside a theatre, it was as if you were on a pirate ship, the special effects were great, when someone walked the plank and fell into the water the audience was splashed, when it rained it also rained inside, when a bird flew over and pooped it really felt as though you were being hit with it, when it got windy, the wind would blow on you, and also when the cannon was fired a burst of hot air would hit you. The only setback to this was that the seats didn't move, I think that this would be neat to incorporate these types of special effects with PKI FX Theatre. Getting all the electronics in the seat wet would be the only problem.

I wouldn't get rid of LaRosa's just for the fact that it is too local for it to go away. Maybe if they offered more than just pizza, like they do at the normal restaurants, it would be better.

I would LOVE to see the ST characters back! I really miss them and Star Trek is such a big investment with Paramount that they should keep them there. They should also create some sort of a ST ride.

Personally I would make the park smoke free and alcohol free... beer causes problems in the park that can be major headaches... I would prefer that it would just all go away. I don't think attendance would be hurt too bad. Another option would be to only serve it at Festhaus, it's a more controlled area and keeps people inside with their beer.

I too would like a Star Trek ride at Paramount's Kings Island. If it'd be too expensive, FoF could always be re-themed as a Star Trek ride.

I'd never get rid of beer - and I'd add wine which is much healthier. First of all, I'm offended by folks who set up dry counties - it shows a lack of consideration for adults who enjoy alcoholic beverages. And secondly, it'd be bad for business. Now PKI only allows beer in designated areas and I think that it's a good policy.

I like Nickelodeon Central and Nickelodeon characters............but I wish that they could co-exist with H-B rather than overtake them. It reminds me of the failed Sci Fi series PREY.

I would love for there to be no beer at all in the park. There are too many people that drink too much, and the staff doesn't seem to use their powers to not provide beer to people who appear to have had too much.

If you MUST have beer, KI needs to limit the places beer can be sold: i.e. INSIDE places only. Don't serve beer at Potato Works, don't serve it at Stunt Crew Grill, outside LaRosa's, and don't serve it at Tuckers. Wings, Festhaus and Oktoberfest Gardens are the best areas b/c they can be watched better. Very few guests pay heed to the signs that we have set up telling them to keep the beer on the patio. If all the beer were kept in more controlled areas, like Festhaus, we can assure that the most of the consumption will remain in that area and not in the ride lines or walking through the park.

I don't agree that it would be "lack of consideration for adults who enjoy alcoholic beverages". You must keep in mind, PKI is a family park and alcoholic beverages should NEVER be a part of family park. If parents want to drink in front of their kids or while their kids are playing, let them go drink in their house or take their kids to a bar with them. I would suspect that most people would agree.

I personally find PKI is headed in the right direction, but if I were Management... didn't have to worry about a budget... didn't have to worry about marketing... didn't have to worry about guest draw... and was only concerned about making the park better suit how I think it should look/flow... I would:

Basically gut Coney Mall and rebuild. It would still be themed to a turn-of-the-century park, but the buildings and rides would better reflect that. Some smaller flats would be peppered throughout. Such as a spinning teacups ride, Tilt-O-Whirl, a slide would return, as well as a giant ferris wheel. The buildings woudl be more victorian in theme, and older games like updated fascination and Skeeball would return.

The Eiffel Tower would be re-painted a bronze color.

Les Taxis would be re-located to the grassy/pond area behind International Showplace. The land vacated by it's being moved would be home to a new wooden twister coaster fitting the Coney Theme.

A B&M Hyper would be added throughout the woodsy area around the train and WWC. The actual station would be accessed by extending the path between Beast and TR.

The shooting gallery would return to Rivertown.

The main entrance would be gutted and re-built with the admin offices housed upstairs and to the sides.

The old admin buildings would be gutted and the Picnic shelter area would be relocated there.

The vacated Picnic area would then be used for a Nick expansion.

HB, would also get re-branded to Nick over time, however The Beastie area would keep a Mystery Inc theme (Mystery Inc was the gang's name in Scooby Doo.)

Octoberfest themeing would go away and become more Action Zone oriented. Even Festhaus would be re-themed.

The Action Theatre in Coney would get moved to the now vacant plot of land in Action Zone behind Delirium.

Timberwolf would get re-branded the Action Zone Concert Amphitheatre.

Congo Falls would be re-located to the Rivertown pond area.

Shaggy

I would love for there to be no beer at all in the park. There are too many people that drink too much, and the staff doesn't seem to use their powers to not provide beer to people who appear to have had too much.

DragonLord, I also think there are some people who drink too much at the park, but many people dont have enough money to buy enough beer to get drunk. Beer at PKI is around $4.00 for a 20 ounce cup. For me to drink enough to be drunk, I would spend about $40.00. Thats alot of money to get drunk. Also some people feel they should have beer to enjoy their day. Personally I like to tip back a cold one while watching a football game or playing pool. Many people feel this way. But I think you have a point also. This is a family park. As for the park serving alcoholic beverages, it could be whatever makes money.(even though they make more than enough off food and drinks)

If you MUST have beer, KI needs to limit the places beer can be sold: i.e. INSIDE places only. Don't serve beer at Potato Works, don't serve it at Stunt Crew Grill, outside LaRosa's, and don't serve it at Tuckers. Wings, Festhaus and Oktoberfest Gardens are the best areas b/c they can be watched better. Very few guests pay heed to the signs that we have set up telling them to keep the beer on the patio. If all the beer were kept in more controlled areas, like Festhaus, we can assure that the most of the consumption will remain in that area and not in the ride lines or walking through the park.

I don't agree that it would be "lack of consideration for adults who enjoy alcoholic beverages". You must keep in mind, PKI is a family park and alcoholic beverages should NEVER be a part of family park. If parents want to drink in front of their kids or while their kids are playing, let them go drink in their house or take their kids to a bar with them. I would suspect that most people would agree.

I take umbrage at your statement, which I find culturally insenstive. For Italian, French, Greek, Portugese, Spaniard and many other European cultures WINE IS A FAMILY tradition. My mother was raised on a vineyard in Italy and I drank wine with dinner since childhood - and I never had a DUI/DWI and never have even one drink and drive thereafter. I never have more than 2 glasses of wine in public - and seldom more than that in private. Yes, there are some irresponsible people who ought not drink in public.........but to say that a family park ought not have alcohol is an insult to families who value wine as part of their culture.

• Like 1

hmm... Like I said before...

If you MUST have beer in the park, then limit it to only the three places: Festhaus, Wings and Oktoberfest Gardens. This way we can monitor the areas easier and have a better chance at keeping the alchohol in only those areas without having people end up in lines with it or wondering through the park with it. Employees need to use their powers of observation and not give guests who appear to have had too much any more.

I have my own opinions and you have yours, there is no need to "take umbrage" at my opinions as I have not, and will not, take umbrage to yours or anyone elses.

Dragon -

I totally understand what you're saying...

I can't even count the number of times I have told people "chug it or dump it" - normally 'dump it'

Half of the time I worked in HB and there' s no reason for alcohol to be in that area of the park. There are more important things employees should be looking out for...I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I honestly think PKI should be a 'dry' park...

Edited by SML828

I really don't see what everyone is complaining about. Yes I will agree that people don't need to be drunk at the park but it shouldn't be a dry park either. Kings Island is one of the few parks that require you to stay in one stop to drink your beer. I know the signs say "No drinks behind this point" and some even say its a State law, well it isn't. Cedar Point, SFWoA both allow you to roam the park with your beer. I understand Kings Island wants it this way to make it safer which I agree it does. The park should never be dry cause it is everyone's right (well over 21) to drink if they wish.

I don't think we should stop selling beer at any of the places we are selling it but make the area more controlable. Like gardens is surrounded on all sides and you can only leave through two areas, and its usually guarded or watched by the people on patio, same with festhaus and wings. The outdoor places need to have a fence of some sort built to contain the people and that way someone can watch them. I know it sounds like I want to cage everyone and have some person in ultimate control, but because of the mistakes some people make everyone else should understand its for the better and their safety, which is what Kings Island puts as #1 right before guest satisfaction.

Two things:

First, you have to keep in mind that KI is private property, and it is no ones "right to drink" in the park. Drinking in the park is a privlage that can be taken away.

Second, cages would work a lot better than the signs no one sees... but I still opt for just having alchohol served in Festahus, Oktoberfest and Wings.

i thought those were the only places where you could get a beer! Are there others i don't know about?

Also you have to think about it like this, for those of us that are adults, and are old enough to drink beer: Why should I have to give up what I feel is perfectly fine, because a few people try to ruin it? I'm not the one stumbling around PKI because I am wasted, I usually have one beer while I am there, and thats about it. partially due to the price. I think PKI can keep the beer in the park, but can also keep people in check. It is private property, and that is fine, but if they ditch the beer, thats a whole lot of money down the drain at $4 a 20 oz cup of beer. Think about it, is PKI gonna do this, NO WAY!

• 20 years later...
On 3/20/2003 at 1:47 PM, DragonLord said:

PKI is a family park and alcoholic beverages should NEVER be a part of family park. 

That is a very broad statement. While it's clear you are very much against alcohol, I wouldn't say it's a 'most would agree' issue. The vast majority of parents who like to have a beer or 2 with their kids present do just that. The fact that all the adults drank around me growing up took away the allure of it so that I never even partook before I was of age. Of course you shouldn't get out of control, but most don't. It's dumb to get drunk at a park anyway with the prices and the need to go to the bathroom and ensuing dehydration. Point is-'family life' can include alcohol without it being a toxic issue and it makes sense that parks include it. 

• Like 1