Kings Island's History

KIFreak2009

hi, i remember the King Cobra. I rode it a few times when i was in high school, maybe 1992? the best part was riding in the front, it was weird standing up. The Vortex and the King Cobra was the best ride there for me at that time. I didn't get to ride The Beast, after waiting in line about an hour it started storming :angry:

jan

KIFreak, First off, welcome. Second, you might wanna change the name of your topic because it is Kings Island. Its a common mistake, no worries.

To answer your question I can barely remember King Cobra but that is about all I remember.

Uh, you just posted this exact post in another thread...

Sorry double licked ad it appeared twice

A few more and you would've gotten to the center of the Tootsie Pop.

- RingMaster, 'cause it was there for the taking. ;)

EDIT: I remember when you had to park in the grass and the line for The Beast reached the second entrance for the Antique Cars.

I remember back when they used to play rock music in the stations, I remember hearing AC/DC while waiting for The Beast, and seeing people making out laying in the grassy areas by the tower, oh and the face painting station under the tower, while in line for The Racer these guys had there faces painted like KISS who was popular at the time, I was just in awe!!

King Cobra was my favorite ride in high school. I graduated the year after they took it out, the first time I rode Delirium was during Grad Night my senior year. I have very fond memories of riding KC during trips with some of my best friends in high school, where we'd jump off and run around for a re-ride when there was no wait. My favorite was the day the fireworks started going off as we went up the lift and my friend and I were in the front seat, that was an awesome ride.

Skylab was the first ride I ever rode that went upside down. It will always hold a special place in my heart for that. I also remember growing up and being so excited to finally be tall enough to drive the antique cars with my mom and brother. I don't remember a time when they had both rides running, though. I used to ride Keelboat Canal with my mom all the time. I remember one trip where we did almost nothing but ride the two log flumes and WWC over and over again all day when I was in junior high.

My mom provided me with a memory - and explanation - from when I was very young. She used to take me on Der Spinning Keggars and the Witches Cauldrons when I was little (witches cauldrons were removed when I was 6) and spin us really really fast. That finally explains why I love spinning really fast on spinning rides and don't get sick. :lol:

My first ride ever at Kings Island was the Smurfs Enchanted Voyage. My first 'big' coaster was Vortex when I was 10 or 11, and I was hooked on coasters ever since then! I remember when the theming for Adventure Express worked! When I was younger we went on a field trip to KI and I got to take a ride through the animal safari. My mom was a chaperone and I remember that being one of the most fun days of my childhood. I remember thinking it was so awesome to be able to drive the Antique Cars, thinking I had mad driving skills when I was 12 ;) My dad thought it would be funny to warn me that when I actually became old enough to drive a REAL car that there are no 'bumpers' in the middle of the road to keep me going straight...lol;) I remember riding King Cobra and thinking the bunny hops were the coolest thing ever. Grad Night my senior year at KI was one of the most fun trips I've ever had. I rode Delerium for the first time that night too, Violakat! That was the same night that a huge fight broke out, right near Outer Hanks. I rememeber all of the "coming soon" signs were out for Bubba Gumps...but anyway about 100 guys were chasing down one guy and started beating the crap out of him about

5 feet in front of me and my friend. All of my other friends had run into the bathroom or out of the way. I was just standing there frozen in fear. That was craaazy! I remember the days when they used to play Beach Boys and Bob Marley back when it was called Waterworks! I remember the picnic area that was hidden in the woods at the front of the park-that used to be our favorite place to eat! But mostly I just remember KI being an integral part of every one of my summers as a child, and up until now. I hope it stays that way for a long time!

~Ash

OMG this thread makes me feel old.

I can remember KI PRIOR to King Cobra ever being installed. And I also remember riding it during it's first year of operation.

As a matter of fact, I rode King Cobra's precursor at Kings Dominion... King KOBRA... a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop...

You young'ns do know what a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop is, don't you? if you don't, then do your homework. The future of coaster knowledge is in your hands.

Shaggy

Skylab was the first ride I ever rode that went upside down.

Ok sorry but I have to ask... What was Skylab?

It was an enterprise ride, like Witch's Wheel at Cedar Point. An enterprise relies on G-forces to hold you in, so there's no restrains inside of each passenger cage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_(ride)

To be specific, Skylab was a Huss Giant Enterprise. One of the 3 ever installed. The giants were much larger and each car seated 4 people. Only one remains in operation... well, sporadic operation... and it's located at Canada's Wonderland.

Shaggy

i rember amazon falls which is what it was called before the name change to congo falls. when the phantom theater first opened and because i was a wwweeee wiper snapper it scared the crap out of me. also riding the smurf ride before it was changed to the phantom theater. the giant slide near hanna-barberra land that also set next to a blue elephant in the middle of a small fountain and occasionally shot water. also when days of thunder first opened up. and who can forget the keelboat canal ride.

My first ride was the stroller (I was only 3 when KI opened in 1972) :lol:

The first ride I can remember was Grand Carousel in 1977. Then I rode the Giant Slide, and didn't ride anything else until the sun went down, then it was on to Der Spinnen Keggers, and before I knew it, it was time to leave. :( Days go by quickly, don't they?

Many Moons ago-- the Screamin' Demon, Lion Safari, the ACTUAL Scooby Doo(my first coaster), The ORIGINAL Enchanted Voyage, The Clown parades, the Wheel Of Fortune trabbit over by Kings Mills Flume, the air shows that used to appear in the sky about 4-5 pm, The UNPAVED parking lot (that was dubbed the Free ride of Kings Island), the tower sitting in a pieces out in the parking lot, The Tower when it had a longer lightening rod on top, Witches Caldrons over in HB, the dolphin show, the Hanna Barbera characters that used to walk around International Street.

Thanks for letting me go down memory lane..

Ah yes, I remember it well :)

I remember King Cobra, but never got to ride it. I remember Face/Off having an On Ride Photo. I remember the helicopter being in Firehawk's current place. I remember riding Fast Track at Water Works. I remember riding Kenton Cove's Keelboat Canal. I also remember riding Phantom Theater a few times in the later 1990's. I remember alot of things...

Actually, the Puppet Tree sticks out in my mind quite notably. My favorite was the "Rockin Robin" number they did. It was quite cute.

Here's some trivia for you. One of the better puppeteers from the Puppet Tree and other KI shows was a guy named Joe Kovacs.

You remember (well, because of age, some of you won't...) Wayland Flowers and Madame from the 1970s? Well, Mr. Flowers passed away in the late 80's. However, his estate searched for years to find someone that could carry on the legacy. Joe has gained national attention after being chosen to be the new "master" of Madame.

I believe he may have now severed ties with Madame as she has a new puppeteer. His website, as well as hers makes no mention of the team. However, Wikipedia still has a few "words" about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_kovacs

Shaggy

Actually, the Puppet Tree sticks out in my mind quite notably. My favorite was the "Rockin Robin" number they did. It was quite cute.

Here's some trivia for you. One of the better puppeteers from the Puppet Tree and other KI shows was a guy named Joe Kovacs.

You remember (well, because of age, some of you won't...) Wayland Flowers and Madame from the 1970s? Well, Mr. Flowers passed away in the late 80's. However, his estate searched for years to find someone that could carry on the legacy. Joe has gained national attention after being chosen to be the new "master" of Madame in recent years.

I believe he may have now passed the Madame torch to someone else.

Shaggy

I wonder if that is the show I remember from that era. I vividly remember puppets mimicking pop tunes at the time... i.e. Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. The puppet actually would moonwalkk and donned the silver glove that Michael would wear. It was prett entertaining... then again I was 7 or 8. :-)

i rember amazon falls which is what it was called before the name change to congo falls. when the phantom theater first opened and because i was a wwweeee wiper snapper it scared the crap out of me. also riding the smurf ride before it was changed to the phantom theater. the giant slide near hanna-barberra land that also set next to a blue elephant in the middle of a small fountain and occasionally shot water. also when days of thunder first opened up. and who can forget the keelboat canal ride.

those were the days....phantom theater also scared the crap out of me...i guess it was cause the people were blue and i thought they killed the smurfs...not for sure though lol

I remember going when I was little and I had to ride any ride to "test" it for my older sister before she would ride, as she was afraid of elements such has height or inversions. My first "big" ride was The Racer when I was about 6, which I dared myself to ride. The next year (our family used to go once a year) was the King Cobra, which was intimidating on account of the loop.

I remember thinking that the Maestro in the queue house for Phantom Theatre was an actor because I thought he was so life-like.

I recall being bribed with pizza to watch the Cheers show in the Festhaus with my dad.

I remember thinking that anyone who would "risk their lives" on The Vortex were clinically insane. Each and every one of them.

Finally, I remember the big buzz the first year that Paramount had the park was that the only difference was that it said "Paramount's" in the name.