What is the policy for this...

blueberryicecream

I love Kings Island, and go with my family about twice a year. My fiance has never been and I want to take him this spring. Last fall, he got shot in the leg and as a result, he now has a metal rod in his left leg. It has healed a lot, but the leg still has not gotten strong enough to stand on for long periods of time. He isn't on crutches or anything, but I was wondering if Kings Island has a policy that would allow him front of line passes or anything like that? He has all the medical records to show, and his leg speaks for itself.

It's probably going to better to rent a wheelchair for him, to prevent him from having to stand on it in line or walk on it for a long time. I can imagine that if he has problems standing on it a long time, he wouldn't want to do a lot of walking on it either.

This would also allow him handicap access to the line. From what I understand, for handicap, you go up the exit and they put you on the train after a short wait (if it's a short line) or tell you when to come back (if it's a long line, so you end up waiting the same amount as everyone else) so they can put you on a train. As long as he can get into the car under his own power without assistance, and does not have a cast or splint that could cause injury to someone else, they must allow him to ride under the ADA.

I dont think he would be able to ride dropzone because of the magnets in use on the ride but there is a sheet you can get when rent a wheel chair that allows you to go up the exit and if there is a line they will promplty right down a time on your sheet to come back. You can only wait for one ride at a time.

For Drop Zone, something to think about is that the magnets(atleast the Carowinds Drop Zone) are "ON" when the brakes are letting the cars pass thru. When the brakes are "OFF" the carts stop where they are. Example when you hit the E-stop at Drop Zone, you can stop the passenger cars towards the top of the brakes, which is quite amusing to see. The lift carts will still be at the top of the tower and the passenger cars stopped whereever the brakes stopped them. At Carowinds, we let a guest ride with a fake leg and nothing odd happened. However, I would check with Kings Island Guest Relations or the Drop Zone ops there before riding. Also, I believe Carowinds has taken the signs down that pretained to this and electronics. The metal detectors at Carowinds used to mess up pictures on my camera but Drop Zone had no effect.

From http://visitkingsisland.com/visit/visit_services.cfm:

GUESTS WITH DISABILITIES

Detailed brochures describing special accommodations for guests with disabilities are available at Guest Relations along with telecommunications devices (TDD) and assisted listening devices for the shows. Special parking areas are available with proper ID. To request a disability guide, please call 1-800-288-0808.

STROLLERS & WHEELCHAIR RENTAL

Strollers are available for a nominal charge on a first come basis near the front gate. A limited number of manual wheelchairs are also available.

From the 2008 park map:

Stop by Guest Relations to pick up a Rider Safety Guide. This free guide explains the entry guidelines & procedures, provides specific information related to each attraction. A limited number of wheelchairs are available for rent on a first-come, first serve basis at the Front Gate.

As someone who has gone to the park with several people in wheelchairs or with physical impairments, it is pretty much vital that you stop by Guest Relations before trying to go up a ride exit. GR will provide you with a guide about how the situation is handled on each ride. Depending on the length of the queue line, you may be given a time to come back to ride. That length of time is usually equal to the time that one would have to wait in the queue line. Also, please note that only one companion is allowed to accompany the person up the exit. So if there are more than two of you, the others will have to wait in the queue line.

And as the info that I quoted from the park website says, you can always call ahead to get the Rider Safety Guide sent to you before your visit. This guide also lists any health related restrictions each ride may have.

EDIT: I just found the 2008 Rider Safety Guide online. It can be viewed here: http://visitkingsisland.com/images/attract...safetyguide.pdf

Are you guys serious about those comments about rides having magnets? :huh:

I suppose it's too dangerous to stand next to the TTD launch because of the earth magnets for *brakes* too huh? Because you know it happens all the time that random metal components are constantly getting sucked into the magnets on Drop Zone, FOF, Italian Job, etc.

As a person with a 5x1" metal plate in my arm, I can assure you that you need not worry about the magnets on roller coasters. First off let's get one thing straight, the two most common metals used in surgery applications are Titanium and high grade stainless steel, both of which are NOT magnetic. Mine doesn't even set off the Airport metal detectors, nor has any magnet I have ever put against it been remotely attracted to it. In addition even if some crazy doctor decided to use mild steel, the magnetic field of magnets barely carries over distances, and certainly not from a riders leg from a rides magnets.

Have you ever seen a maintenance person? Do you think as they walk around Drop Zone that their tools are simply flying off their person into the magnets?

Ridiculous...

The only reason why you should possibly worry about drop zone would be because the dangling feet aspect could cause pain. Otherwise you should be fine.

I don't know about anyone else on this forum, but I'm not an engineer. Nor am I an electrician. Nor am I anyone who has any idea how the magnets actually work other than the fact they're magnets. How am I supposed to know whether or not they could cause a danger? I figure it's better to be safe and think about it, than to assume that all will be well.

...I suppose it's too dangerous to stand next to the TTD launch because of the earth magnets for breaks too huh?...
(sic, emphasis added, line otherwise unchanged)

So why didn't Kinzel and company request that the earth magnets not cause the ride to break so often?

Terpy, who just HAD to (and who is funnin' ya!)

I have a metal plate and screw in two disks in my neck and they have no problems with any rides. I did ride FoF once with no problems, but do not ride any more rough rides any more. The magnets should not be a concern but rather the leg itself. Did he have his bone fused with the rod? I would check with your doctor just in case. Xgatorhead is correct, go to Guest Relations and they can give you all the info and handicap waver for rides.