Vortex Gets a New Paint Job

BoddaH1994

From the Kings Island Insider Blog:

Vortex.jpg

"Workmen have been busy the past several days repainting the track on the popular Vortex roller coaster. The Vortex has thrilled riders since it opened in 1987 by sending them upside-down an incredible six times! In fact, the ride was the first roller coaster in the world with six inversions. The Vortex has given 35,278,352 rides in its 22 seasons -- seventh-most in Kings Island history!"

I said it in the other thread, and I'll say it here. They don't seem to care much about Flight Deck, and while I don't want to lose one of the few trimless rides in the park, I fear its days are numbered.

Vortex should look very nice this season, but it really didn't look bad last season. It is so darn photogenic that there should be a lot of awesome shots taken with the new paint. I plan to take my digital camera again and will probably take hundreds of pictures yet again.

You have to take it for what it's worth. Vortex is a very prominent object in the park. Flight Deck is stuck in a valley in the corner. It's not that Flight Deck is going to be removed, or even that it's not well maintained. That's not the case it all. It just isn't as essential to paint Flight Deck as it is The Vortex, Racer, Drop Zone, Tower, etc.

It's a fact of life that things near new attractions get attention. Media will be covering Diamondback bigtime in just a couple of weeks. You want what they show to look good. Heck, even Rolling Thunder got spray painted (yes, spray painted...even then Six Flags was short on funds) the year Kingda Ka opened.

You have to take it for what it's worth. Vortex is a very prominent object in the park. Flight Deck is stuck in a valley in the corner. It's not that Flight Deck is going to be removed, or even that it's not well maintained. That's not the case it all. It just isn't as essential to paint Flight Deck as it is The Vortex, Racer, Drop Zone, Tower, etc.

If I remember correctly, Flight Deck has one of the top riderships in the park, but there's always the chance I'm not remembering correctly. If I'm right, that means tons of people still see Flight Deck, even IF it's still tucked away in a valley corner.

Also, Flight Deck is easily visible from the Great Wolf Lodge. Saying that not near as many people see it probably wouldn't be true factoring in the thousands and thounsands of people who see it from the GWL Waterpark. And if you're saying that's a completely different market of people who probably wouldn't care about anything at KI, isn't GWL a resort to stay at when visiting KI? A lot of people who visit KI stay at the GWL overnight then visit again. So lots of people see Flight Deck.

Also, there has to be at least SOME times where you satisfy the thoosies!

If I remember correctly, Flight Deck has one of the top riderships in the park, but there's always the chance I'm not remembering correctly.

Top three capactity eaters at KI:

Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad

Adventure Express

Vortex

The TRACK appears to be the only part of Vortex getting a re-paint.

That is great. Vortex was my first real coaster, and to this day I still find it to be an enjoyable ride.

I remember in October during haunt they were painting the train storage area roof as you started up the stairs, but did not think they would repaint the whole track this year for it just got painted like 2 to 3 years back did it not?

Edit: I might be thinking of the supports not the track?

And remember how Vortex looked before it got its fresh new paint job in 2002? It looked far worse than what Flight Deck currently looks. The dark blue supports were almost a light gray in some areas because they had faded so much.

Was it really 2002? Dosen't seem that long ago!

I think it looks great and I'm glad the rest of the park is getting some love and not just being ignored because of all the work on Diamondback. On the webcam the orange track now looks very bright and refreshed.

Posted from my BlackBerry mobile device.

It just isn't as essential to paint Flight Deck as it is The Vortex, Racer, Drop Zone, Tower, etc.

You mean Racer gets painted? I've noticed it being touched up here and there, but I love the way they've brought back the red, white, and blue color scheme. I wish they would. The coasters that have it look really, really nice.

I agree that The Racer has needed a new paint job for a few seasons now, esp the station. The ride looks very tired and run-down when seen up close. Also, I hope they have scraped away all the gum in the final brake run tunnel before you reenter the station..it always disgusted me to see wads of who knows how old old gum wads stuck in there.