my 8 yr old cousin

i_love_KI

yes start him on that ity bity coaster next to scoob haunt man and step him up to fairly odd coaster then next step is runaway reptar and then Adventure Express and then racer and then the best and then you will have a coaster fanatic you aint afraid of nuthin and the i wouldnt be suprised if he/she would say mommy mommy take me on Diamondback

It mostly depends on personal opinion. I would say, in terms of 'big kid rides': Adventure Express, Racer, Back Lot Stunt Coaster, Top Gun, Vortex, Flight of Fear, Diamondback, The Beast, Invertigo, Firehawk, Son of Beast. Now these would change depending if he/ she would be totally objected to loops. If so, take out: Vortex, Flight of Fear, Invertigo, and Firehawk. Hope this helps!

Edit: Reading Big Red Dice's post, I got thinking, "Wait, they're only 8. Maybe he means little roller coasters. So I would say Little Bills Giggle Coaster, Fairly Odd Coaster, Runaway Reptar, and then start with the list I made above. But, as Big Red Dice said, they may want to ride Diamondback. It doesn't have any loops, so it is just tall and fast. Tell them to close their eyes if they're afraid of heights, and just to imagine they are flying.

Im also of the opinion that you dont start off small, you hit them with a big one first, preferably a really great big one first. Might as well give them a first ride on a cream of the crop coaster (assuming they meet the height limit) so that he/she knows what the best is like (because if they dont like the best, they wont like the rest, the reverse is not always true.) If you can, I think Diamondback would be a fantastic break in ride, its smooth, Im assuming amazing, and its big (get one fear out of the way.) If not that, my next suggestion would be FoF (it goes upside down,) then Racer, then Firehawk, then Flight Deck, Stunt Coaster, Beast (as much as most of us love it, its quite rough for a first ride,) Invertigo, and lastly SoB.

IF you put a child or an older adult on a wooden coaster, never, ever put them in a wheel seat. Beast and Racer have three bench cars, so a middle of a car seat is best (NOT the middle of a train, the middle of a CAR). On Fairly Odd Coaster, the front of a car is best. On Son of Beast, there is a very nice bench outside the ride...and I've experienced absolutely no roughness there.

IF you put a child or an older adult on a wooden coaster, never, ever put them in a wheel seat. Beast and Racer have three bench cars, so a middle of a car seat is best (NOT the middle of a train, the middle of a CAR). On Fairly Odd Coaster, the front of a car is best. On Son of Beast, there is a very nice bench outside the ride...and I've experienced absolutely no roughness there.

where you ever there and felt a little earth trimmer as rare as they are the do happen

Ha ha. If not in the middle of the train, where do you suggest is the best?

All I am saying about the middle of a train is that in the middle of the train, there are still seats that are over the wheels. Focus on the cars, not the trains. If I had a nickel for every time I gave this advice to a member of the general public, and then they went and rode Beast in the back seat of a CAR in the middle of the TRAIN, and then came back and complained, I'd be able to buy lunch at Rivertown Junction, probably for a table of four. I've even drawn pictures of the trains, but it doesn't seem to help. Just remember, focus on the cars, not the train as a whole.

Ha ha. If not in the middle of the train, where do you suggest is the best?

i would say the smothest seat you know of from personal exp. and by the way this makes post #100 can i get a woop woop

I would say you should start out small. I started on Beastie at 10 years old and I think something bigger might have scared me off. I went from Beastie to Racer in my next visit and the following year I rode everything and loved every minute of it.

I also have to say there are people who like the weaker coasters and not the bigger ones. My mom's favorite ride is Adventure Express but she won't ride Racer or Beast. Some of my friends will ride FOF but not other coasters because they don't like lift hills. One of my friends loves coasters and especially SOB but wouldn't ride Millennium Force with me. So the theory that starting them on Beast or Diamondback may not work.

Also in regards to the smoothest place on a wooden coaster, I have to say the front seat. Anywhere in the front half of the train and the front seat or middle seat of the car should be good.

Posted from my BlackBerry mobile device.

I started my kids on coasters when they were 7 (actually took them to the park and bought their first passes on Davids 7th birthday in May of 2007) and 8. Started with FOC and Runaway Reptar. I showed them the difference between riding in the front car and the back car and several other things. Then Racer then The Beast. After that we did AE, BLSC, FD, Vortex. After teaching them about coasters on the woodies, the steel coasters were no problem for them at all. By the time SoB reopened on the 4th of July that year, they were ready for it and still love it. Now my youngest will be 9 this year and he will ride anything and everything the height restrictions will permit......

Beginner - Avatar, Fairly Odd Coaster, Reptar, and Little Bill's

Intermediate - Flight Deck, Adventure Express, Backlot Stunt Coaster, and The Racer

Extreme - Beast, Son of Beast, Vortex, Invertigo, Firehawk, Flight of Fear, and Diamondback

Use common sense with flat rides and other thrill rides like Drop Tower and Delirium.

I would inform your cousin of the intensities of each of the rides and maybe even your opinions of the rides. I'd then take her on the one she wants to go on barring any height restrictions. After that I would tell her what seats you like on each ride and get on those, but keep her safety in mind because some rides like The Beast can throw you around A LOT when you're not that tall. Trust me, I got very mildly injured about the first five times I rode that thing. Remember (my dad taught me this), the best thing you can do if you see a turn coming on ANY coaster to avoid jerkiness is lean towards it. That's helped me tremendously in not getting injured on roller coasters.

Hey Terpy, the four-year old comment is possible. My son had just turned 5 in August of last year and was right on 48". It would seriously depend on the shoes he was wearing and the place where we had him measured. At the gate, he did not make it, but at the measurement station in Nickleodean, he just made it. Anyway, as he was 48" and now able to ride some of the bigger coasters, we started out on Flight Deck. That seemed to be a great one for him, as he still states it is his favorite at KI. We then went around and went on AE, The Racer, and BLSC. We continued on through the day, and finally he had the courage to ride The Beast.

I think it scared him a little bit, but as the season approaches this year, he is psyched to ride The Beast.

I would caution against taking him on Diamondback first. My daughter, who was 6 when we went to Busch Gardens early last year, was a Roller Coaster enthusiast having ridden on many of the KI and Disneyland coasters the year before. I could not persuade her to ride the Lochness Monster due to the loop. However, she was over 52" so she could go on Appollo's Chariot. Well, the shear height of the ride really scared her, and we had to work the rest of the day to get her confidence back. I spent a good portion of the day riding Big Bad Wolf as this ride was the only roller coaster my son, who was 4 at the time, and her were both tall enough to ride. Although she was tall enought, she was not going back on Appollo's Chariot, and LNM was not on her list.

Later in the summer when she was now 7 and my son 5, we took her on the same rotation at KI as my son. This got her confidence back up, and she was requesting rides on Beast . She also overcame her fear of loops and went on Vortex. She liked that so well, it is now her favorite. Bottom line, I think I would work up his confidence on rides such as Flight Deck, Racer and BLSC before attempting The Beast or Vortex. I would definately hold off on SOB until he has experienced several rides on The Beast. At 49", he is not able to ride some of the others.

BTW, my daughter is now over 54", so I'm hoping I can experience the rest of the coasters at KI this season. She has said she is ready for Firehawk and FOF - but she is not so sure about D'back. I am not going to push her. She'll be ready soon enough.

I just went through this last year - after a quick trip to CP which got only as tall as Iron Dragon we went to KI, he went from nervous about Adventure Express, down right afraid of Racer to front seat only on Racer, Beast being his favorite Woodie and loving Vortex.

Back to CP he went up to Gemini, Mean Streak (His least favorite Woodie), Magnum and by the end of the year Millennium Force is his favorite coaster. KI has a lot of height restrictions for 48", they won't be able to ride DBack, FoF, Invertigo or Firehawk.

Now if I'm lame and want to ride the Giggle Coaster to be able to check it off my list - it says you need to ride with children, what comprises a child, will my now 7 year old pushing 52" be adequate? If we don't want to get in the way of the little kids who the ride is meant for when is the best time to go? A Friday night?

My 7 y/o niece is like that now and has been for years. She'll finally be tall enough to ride the big coasters this year, she was close last year, but barely missed. She wanted to go on everything, she did go on the kiddy rides, never enough. We took her around to all of the big rides (48" and under rides) and she went on whatever she could go on.

So if your cousin has that attitude, than there will be no problems. But do start on the gentle rides and then move up.