Suits against parks in 2008

I'm not sure why, but the Sandusky Register published a list of all the law suits filed in Erie County Common Pleas Court against amusement/water parks in Sandusky. I know that Cedar Fair settles most of their cases out of court, but I don't know about Great Wolf & Kalahari.

In most of the cases, I think a little common sense would have helped!

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/articles/2...ont/1271839.txt

I like these two:

August 2008: Margaret Farren, Seven Hills, Ohio, alleges that on Oct. 26 she tripped and fell as a result of Cedar Point's use of dry ice to create an "effect of smoke or fog." Farren said she suffered a right ankle sprain and torn ligaments.

September 2008: Richard Foos, Avon, alleges on Sept. 22, 2007, when attending HalloWeekends at Cedar Point he tripped and fell as a result of a thick fog created by fog machines. Foos suffered compound fractures to his right and left arm, and shoulder, back, head and wrist pain as a result of the fall. Foos said Cedar Point was negligent because it did not properly monitor the output of fog.

It really should be remembered that not all lawsuits are frivolous. What did Six Flags offer to do for the young lady who lost her feet on Superman: Tower of Power before the suit was filed? The reality is that in all too many cases, a lawsuit is the only avenue to be compensated when one is injured in a business establishment, even when the latter was clearly at fault.

Terpy, who believes that all sides of an issue should be heard.

I was at Kings Island on the last day of Haunt when a lady fell and broke her ankle on the train's haunted attraction. I don't know if she sued, but listening to her talk about it while sitting in the first aid station, she blamed herself for falling on the path rather than the park for putting the fog out.

I had a fog-induced panic attack at the park (which is why I was in the first aid station) and think they way overuse the fog machines to the point they can be dangerous (I was having a very hard time breathing and it led to a panic attack) but I personally wouldn't sue the park over it. I knew going into it that the fog machines would be on and it would be thick and hard to see through. You can see the fog from outside the park, so you know there's going to be a lot of it. The biggest thing I'm going to do is wear a dust-type mask next year to cut down on how much of it I breathe in while walking the midways, because sometimes the best course of action is to protect yourself rather than placing the blame afterward. This especially holds true at Cedar Point where the fog was confined to one area of the park, with a lot of warning signs before you got to it. If you thought were going to have a problem with the amount of fog used, you could go around it easily.

I was at Kings Island on the last day of Haunt when a lady fell and broke her ankle on the train's haunted attraction. I don't know if she sued, but listening to her talk about it while sitting in the first aid station, she blamed herself for falling on the path rather than the park for putting the fog out.

I'm sure if a lawyer would have been around they would have been handing the lady a business card telling her to call!

In town here they hand out business cards at the scene of traffic accidents, it's sad!

I'm sure if a lawyer would have been around they would have been handing the lady a business card telling her to call!

In town here they hand out business cards at the scene of traffic accidents, it's sad!

After my sister-in-law and I were in a car accident, we got direct mailings from at least 5 different lawyers offering to take our case. Same after my husband's accident. We did end up suing after my husband's but only because the insurance company refused to pay us a dime. I did my research and chose a lawyer that wasn't one of the shady ambulance chaser types, and he turned out to be amazing.

I don't even know what to think about this thread. I have a feeling that some of these lawsuits were blown out of proportion, because people will sue for ANYTHING these days, but I'm sure some had legitimate claims. This one just sounds stupid though:

>>July 2008: Christopher Tomblin, Madison, Ohio, alleges on June 22 he was injured on Cedar Point's Blue Streak roller coaster. Tomblin said "as a result of a sharp dip that the roller coaster took" it caused him to strike his face and head on the front of the car he was riding in. He suffered injuries to his mouth, neck, and back and also "significant problems with several teeth."<<

I mean...really? Roller coasters are known to take sharp DIPS from time to time. And unless this guy was riding like a limp fish then I have no clue how that could have even happened. You would think you would know to brace yourself? Most of it can probably be chalked up to poor judgement on the patrons part.

I rode the Coolangatta Racer last year at BB and managed to smack my head REALLY hard on the side of the slide, while in the tunnel and blacked out until I hit the splashdown. Now I know I positioned myself correctly on the board and everything, but who knows...I may have shifted when I was going around in the tunnel, I couldn't tell. Or, it could have just happened that way....I know a lot of other people who have hit their heads on that ride. But the point is I'm not going to run to the nearest lawyer I can find and sue the crap out of KI. I'll just never ride it again! I just hate how a lot of people are so greedy or want something for free all of the time. It just bugs me.

~Ash

ha ha Ashers.... The first time I rode Coolangatta when I hit the splash pool my mat busted my lip. I had to walk around the rest of the day like that. It hurt but was hilarious, I should've known to hold the mat down.

I don't even know what to think about this thread. I have a feeling that some of these lawsuits were blown out of proportion, because people will sue for ANYTHING these days, but I'm sure some had legitimate claims. This one just sounds stupid though:

>>July 2008: Christopher Tomblin, Madison, Ohio, alleges on June 22 he was injured on Cedar Point's Blue Streak roller coaster. Tomblin said "as a result of a sharp dip that the roller coaster took" it caused him to strike his face and head on the front of the car he was riding in. He suffered injuries to his mouth, neck, and back and also "significant problems with several teeth."<<

I mean...really? Roller coasters are known to take sharp DIPS from time to time. And unless this guy was riding like a limp fish then I have no clue how that could have even happened. You would think you would know to brace yourself? Most of it can probably be chalked up to poor judgement on the patrons part.

I rode the Coolangatta Racer last year at BB and managed to smack my head REALLY hard on the side of the slide, while in the tunnel and blacked out until I hit the splashdown. Now I know I positioned myself correctly on the board and everything, but who knows...I may have shifted when I was going around in the tunnel, I couldn't tell. Or, it could have just happened that way....I know a lot of other people who have hit their heads on that ride. But the point is I'm not going to run to the nearest lawyer I can find and sue the crap out of KI. I'll just never ride it again! I just hate how a lot of people are so greedy or want something for free all of the time. It just bugs me.

~Ash

A problem with or failure of the restraint is the only thing that I can imagine that would cause the Blue Streak thing (other than a crash or something like SoB)..... But since its only one person, I am more than a little skeptical about this claim.

~Ash

A problem with or failure of the restraint is the only thing that I can imagine that would cause the Blue Streak thing (other than a crash or something like SoB)..... But since its only one person, I am more than a little skeptical about this claim.

Yeah I would have thought if it was due to a restraint malfunction they would have mentioned it in the claim, but all they said was 'due to a sharp dip that the roller coaster took'. Sometimes you just have to wonder if people are really just going overboard with this stuff. I've ridden roller coasters on a regular basis since I was like 10 and never managed to bust my entire face open on one. The other ones that are ridiculous are the 'fog' claims. I trip ALL of the time on flat surfaces in broad daylight, so yes I've fallen down several times in various haunted mazes(not just at KI), and I seem to know from common sense when I see the fog rolling out of the parking lot that I may want to watch where I walk from time to time! I know it's a little hard to see with all of that fog, but it should be expected. People can't blame their clumsiness and gravitational pull on the park. *sigh* That's like when people order food and right when they get it they happen to drop it on the ground or something and automatically want a new one for free. I've seen that happen SO many times. Dude, it's not the restaurant's fault that you dropped it, why should they give you another one for FREE?? That kills me every time.

~Ash

When I went down Sydney Sidewinder last year, something about the way the raft hit the water in the splash pool tipped me backwards and it dumped me into the splash pool completely upside down. I was really disoriented and scared out of my wits for a few seconds while I figured out which way was up and the lifeguard was there helping me when I surfaced. It could have been very bad - if I'd hit my head on the bottom of the splash pool or the slide, for instance, but would that have been the park's fault? So long as the lifeguard did her job (which she did), there's nothing more the park could do.

But yeah, the entire point to that story was in response to Ashers - don't feel bad, you aren't the only one that's had an incident on a slide that no one really could have prevented.

And in response to having trouble seeing in the fog - my husband is a flashlight addict and always has a flashlight in his pocket wherever he goes. It proved very helpful when walking through some of the darker areas (especially on the path from the train into the haunted attraction) that were hard to see in the fog. I've used my cell phone to provide light on the path as well.

I had a fog-induced panic attack at the park (which is why I was in the first aid station) and think they way overuse the fog machines to the point they can be dangerous (I was having a very hard time breathing and it led to a panic attack) but I personally wouldn't sue the park over it. I knew going into it that the fog machines would be on and it would be thick and hard to see through. You can see the fog from outside the park, so you know there's going to be a lot of it. The biggest thing I'm going to do is wear a dust-type mask next year to cut down on how much of it I breathe in while walking the midways, because sometimes the best course of action is to protect yourself rather than placing the blame afterward. This especially holds true at Cedar Point where the fog was confined to one area of the park, with a lot of warning signs before you got to it. If you thought were going to have a problem with the amount of fog used, you could go around it easily.

I have to agree on that one-and this past year was way too thick. I am asthmatic and some nights I was up all night trying to recover.

Yeah, the one day I was at the Haunt I noticed that the fog was WAY too thick. I was there watching my younger brother and his friend (I really don't get into scary stuff like this) and while walking down I-street it was nearly impossible to keep an eye on them.

Pity I won't be around for the Haunt this year...

....That's like when people order food and right when they get it they happen to drop it on the ground or something and automatically want a new one for free. I've seen that happen SO many times. Dude, it's not the restaurant's fault that you dropped it, why should they give you another one for FREE?? That kills me every time.

~Ash

I almost always agree with you, but in this case I most definitely do NOT. Unless the customer dropped the item on purpose or the item is a very expensive one, the restaurant SHOULD replace it. It is far less costly and smarter to do so than to lose a customer. Not only may a gracious restaurant that does so gain a customer for life, and a loyal one, but not doing so is sheer stupidity on the restaurant's part. I, for one, would never go back to a restaurant that did NOT replace the item. In more than 50 years on this planet, I've never NOT had a restaurant do it, without even being asked. It's just a part of the cost of doing business. And back in the dark ages, when I was in the restaurant business, we routinely did this...always, always, always. The rest of your post I agree with (other than your "for free" characterization...proper grammar would say only "free," and you always write so well!)

Terpy, who hopes he doesn't drop anything where you are working! :)