Metal Detectors

fyrfyter

Get this, fresh from local news. PKI has decided to install walk trhough style metal detectors at the gates for the park. I don't mean to make it sound bad, but, I'll bet that is gonna slow down everyone who enters the park, that has any kind of metal object on them.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm sure that's going to slow everyone down at the entrance of the park, but it is for our safety, and I believe all Paramount Parks are currently doing this. Just yesterday Paramount Carowinds made a press release about their new security enhancements (which included new metal detectors), and I believe PKI should be doing the same very soon.

I just read about this on whiotv.com they say this won't slow you down any. Also says to pack light because security has the right to inspect bags. Shouldn't really be that much of a hassle, not any worse than we went through the latter part of the season in 2001.

I wonder how they'll pull off Metal Detectors at the Season Pass entrance in Water Works, maybe they'll make a more elaborate season pass entrance so that the detectors do not get wet. They'll probably do something because I doubt that they would leave one entrance with lack of security when the others have them.

TraderJake,

They will be installing the walk through detectors at the Season Pass entrance to Water Works, same as at the front gate. I do not see how the detectors will get wet... unless of course it rains. Odds are the detectors are water proof (and portable). I will find out more about them in April. As it stands now, I do not belive that the season pass entrance has been improved in any way.

At least the walk throughs are better... and faster... than the hand helds we used last year. Unless we get slammed, which we have been told could... and probably will happen, then we shouldn't have too much of a problem with time. I still think you should get to the park earlier than normal, at least at the beginning of the season when everyone is getting used to the new procedures. Worst come to worst we might have other officers jump in to help with the hand helds.

Do pack light, as odds are we will search all bags, backpacks, purses that come into the park as well. Hope everyone will agree to these new messures, I am sure we will have our fair share of people getting ticked about it for some reason or another.

Edited by DragonLord

Hey - I think it's a great idea! In spite of the reduction of crime the past few years, we still live in a relatively dangerous country. This is not Japan, where people can walk the streets at 3 AM drunk and not need to fear for their safety. I reckon the metal detectors will make people feel safer and possibly prevent thugs from sneaking in weapons that they'd use on innocent people.

Way to go PKI! Brother ItalianChef is with you.

I am glad that they are taking these precautions, but as a paying guest, I hate having to be screened just in order to visit my Fav. Place. I will probably complain and fill out a sheet sometime this year, because I hate being checked in general. But, I do see the need, however, it is a huge HASSLE!!! No matter how fast they say it will go. This is THE ONLY THING I AM DREADING ABOUT PKI this year. All I have to say is:ohhhhh Mannnnnn!!!!

Edited by Inraider

When my friends come with me, they all want to bring backpacks and I do not allow them to. They take up too much time, space and hassle. I say:" if you can't fit it in a pocket, then it goes in a locker, no negotiations" I like to avoid as many unpleasenties as possible. *cough, cough, the day tomb raider cost us $3.50, cough cough*

I'm just curious... how sensitive are these metal detectors? Will the average KI visitor make the detector go off? Cell phones, basic jewelry (earrings, etc), eye and sun glasses, etc... are these items likely to trigger the detector?

I'm all for extra security/protection, but if basic items, such as those mentioned above, are a problem and I have to strip down (figuratively speaking) just to make the detector not buzz... that's going to be a bit of a hassle.

Hey folks.......I am as much a privacy advocate as anyone - and I hate to waste time. However, I had the misfortune of growing up in New York City. I've been jumped, scarred in the face (from attack), hit by a car, and held up at gunpoint.....as have most members of my family. So, y'all can guess where I stand on this.

Therefore, I applaud PKI, in a time of recession, to invest precious economic resources to make us guests feel safer. Do you folks realize that these metal detectors and extra security will reduce corporate profits??? We ought to be grateful to park management for their prudence.

Once again......the very handsome Italian chef with a Japanese wife declares his solidarity with the management staff of PKI.

I'm just curious... how sensitive are these metal detectors? Will the average KI visitor make the detector go off? Cell phones, basic jewelry (earrings, etc), eye and sun glasses, etc... are these items likely to trigger the detector?

I'm all for extra security/protection, but if basic items, such as those mentioned above, are a problem and I have to strip down (figuratively speaking) just to make the detector not buzz... that's going to be a bit of a hassle.

yes these items are likely to trigger the detector then they look to see what it was then you go on no strip down or cavity search

We will ask you to take off glasses and empty pockets before you go through, then we will see if you make the detector go off.

Italianchef, the crime rate in Cincinnati hasn't dropped, it has gone up. Since we have a lot of guest from Cincinnati and a lot of workers from Cincinnati, it's a great idea to have these detectors in place. I'm not saying that every person in that comes from Cincy will be a problem, but I am sure that this probably had a helping hand in getting these installed.

We will ask you to take off glasses and empty pockets before you go through, then we will see if you make the detector go off.

Italianchef, the crime rate in Cincinnati hasn't dropped, it has gone up. Since we have a lot of guest from Cincinnati and a lot of workers from Cincinnati, it's a great idea to have these detectors in place. I'm not saying that every person in that comes from Cincy will be a problem, but I am sure that this probably had a helping hand in getting these installed.

DragonLord.........I should've been specific. The national crime rate has gone down in recent years, though it's creeping up again in part due to the failing economy. I am fully aware that Cincinnati's crime rate is getting increasing worse. All the more reason to support metal detectors since Cincinnati is only 24 mile away. And like you, I don't say the whole barrel is rotten.......but way too many apples.

A little delayed but always important. Just got back from spring break and hit Carowinds. They do in fact have metal detectors and have them for the employees as well. It doesn't really make me feel any safer cause I always felt safe before, it annoys me more than anything cause its a hassle. Though if it makes other people feel safe then I can't argue.

Just as a note for all people to speed things up when entering. Make sure if you bring a bag (ie camera bag/purse) open every pocket cause it will be searched. Anything in you pockets take out and if not asked to put in a tray before you walk through, hold it up so they see what is causing the alarm (SFMM did this)

I went through security checks at all 6 parks I went to over spring break and just learned how to make it quicker by being as ready for them as you can.

I personally think having metal detectors at an amusement park is obsurd and uncalled for. It isn't an airport, it's not a governmental building, it isn't a hospital, it's an amusement park! Can't we go anywhere where there is not a metal detector, pretty soon they will have metal detectors a grocery stores! If they are going to start puting metal detectors in amusement parks I think they have gone toooo far!

What do you think?

Ok, think of it this way. Dangerous objects(i.e. bombs, guns n' such)- And mass crowds of people and towering rides. All put together in an amusement park filled with innocent families and children. unsure.gif I wonder how an amusement park could prevent this from happening? Maybe they could use metal detectors? : : sarcasim : : not meaning to offend you PKICoasterFreek. smile.gif

I'm not offended at all! I just sort of think that it is sort of strange that we constantly have to be reminded of war and terrorism everywhere we go. I understand the reasoning why PKI would have metal detectors, but I just don' think it is very cool! Oh well, that's the way it goes. Hey at least I'm gonna be safe! I'm not offended at all PKI_GUY!

ok heres how i see the whole situation:

after 9/11 the US has been scared terrorism as you all know. pki took immediate action after that and put a metal detector at the employee gate and put security guards and tables to search backpacks etc at the front gate. now that were in a high risk of terrorism because of the war, wouldnt it make sense to put metal detectors and security and maybe some dogs at all gates to look out for these maniacs thats are scuicide bombers, or these people thats have deadly chemicals on them?? come on, i dont want to be working at face/off and then see a big explosion in line because some psyco blew himself up and took about 100 people with him. im 110 % for the extra security and id like to thank pki for spending a little bit more money and working a little bit harder for keeping me, my fellow associates/supervisors, and all the guests in the park SAFE and WORRY FREE! yes this is an amusement park, but its also on terrorists lists as targets along with malls, skyscrapers, baseball stateums etc..... again i am totally for the new security because i dont want to see Son of Beast on cnn and in the caption "tragedy at amusment park as a result of terrorism"

thats just my opinion.

I respect you people who are offended by metal detectors.....but I feel that your views are somewhat outdated. We no longer live in a safe, low crime world. I don't want BIG BROTHER to invade my privacy. However, I realize that we live in a world full of criminals, gangs, terrorists, crazy people, and thugs. The metal detectors will HOPEFULLY reduce the chances of anything going wrong.

Hey...let me be a devil's advocate. God forbid a guest was hurt by a metalic weapon in the park.........how many people would say that in light of 9/11, PKI should've had metal detectors?

I would like PKI to be as safe as possible, so I will happily put up with the hassle. As stated previously, I respect folks who disagree with me, but I've seen too many crimes in my life to complain about extra security.