Metal Detectors

fyrfyter

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my take on the situation: A lot of people (not just on this board, but everywhere) are being very arrogant thinking that people would want to hurt their place. Honestly, if terrorists wanted to really destroy things they wouldn't go for a relatively small theme park in Southern Ohio, they would go for much bigger things. And violence hasn't been a huge problem in PKI's past, I think that these metal detectors will be a hassle for all involved, especially on high attendance days. EVERYONE will be checked (how many people bring cell phones, etc.), not to mention CAR KEYS...this is going to be worse than the airport. Good job, PKI.

its not much of a hassle you will just walk in as always even if you have keys they will just look and send you on it does not take alot of time you will not have a long wait havent you guys been to a park with metal detectors before most all of them have them all of the parks in orlando have them six flags ohio has them whats the big deal

I refuse to believe that metal detectors will slow people down by 1 and 1/2 hours.......unless all the park guests are into body piercing and have rings in places I don't want to imagine.

No one can predict whether or not a terrorist or criminal or bully will commit a violent act at any given place or not. The metal detectors will not ensure a safe park......but will help facilitate a safer park.

Though PKI has not had a troubled history with armed violence, why wait for it to happen to take precaution? We must face reality that the days when people didn't have to lock their doors, everyone knew everyone, and the world was a gosh darn hunky dorey place are far behind us.

Will the metal detectors slow us down a bit? Probably. But in light of recent current events, I think it's worth it and I applaud Paramounts Parks for their prudence and financial investment.

Let's all just wait and see how well we do our jobs and how much cooperation we get when the park opens as to wheather or not the metal dectors will work. In my own opinion, we should be trained well enough to ensure a quick response time in getting people through and into the park.

Guests should help us out in all of this by following all the rules and guide lines set out for them. Of course this means (God forbid!) someone is actually going to have to read something and pay attention to details instead of being lazy.

The reasons for putting the metal detectors up to begin with is to help in providing our guests with a reasonably safe environment. That is all that needs to be said.

Wheather we need them or not, they are there. Deal with it.

MAN!! i really hope you guys aren't employees!! If you are, then I think I should tell the park that their employees need an attitude adjusment. GEEZ! I am telling you right now, if any cop an attitude like:" deal with it" or "get over it" with me , while i'm in the park, i'll file a complaint. You guys should be much more considerate towards the guests. Thats the only thing I have complained about in the past!! RUDE EMPLOYEES!

You have an opinion, state it, but when I pay $84 for a pass to my favorite place on earth, then have an employee go off on me, you will not win. And I will dread having to go through security everytime I go to the park. I talk and have a great time with park employees, many of which know me as soon as I walk up to the ride. I've spent as much as an hour talking to an employee, its a great time. But every now and then, you find one that really frosts your cookies and thats when its innapropriate. Get over it????? No thank you, when you guys "GET OVER" your attitude, I'll think about it.

Edited by Inraider

Anyone who isn't open to the metal detectors is just a typical American... You're the reason why other countries hate us. You have such a short attention span, and you are selfish. It inconvieneces you to have to walk through a metal detector, even though its for your safety, my safety, and the safety of everyone in the park. Grow up. Things like this are a way of life and will remain a way of life. Get used to it, or don't come to the park, because we don't need you there.

Everyone think of it as a saftey devise... It isn't a problem to walk through it. It will not slow the line that much, and it is only goin to help make us safe. I don't think that there is a reason to get angry about it though.

Edited by matt3224

I would never tell you to get over it in uniform, but the fact of the matter is that you have no reason to complain about something that is there for your own safety... Of course, people complain about having to push their lapbars down and the like, so i guess this shouldn't be surprising. And my last statement is - Rude employees are caused at least 75 percent of the time by rude customers. But I will not argue back if you come out fighting with me, I like my job better then that.

"unless all the park guests are into body piercing and have rings in places I don't want to imagine." -italian chef

I wouldn't be surprised...some guests...Last season, I saw almost every guest going into the park. I don't have a short attention span, I just think a lot of guests would get angry with the detectors. Terrorism is just as prevalent as it has been in the past, I don't think they had metal detectors during the Gulf War. I think that the park will be just as safe as it has been in the past. Metal detectors won't change that.

Wow. Well don't I feel like Public Enemy Number One (and Two, and Three, and Four). I just feel like there is an extreme to everything. Metal detectors in the airport is understandable. But, if you're going to have them at KI, might as well have them at grocery stores and malls, too.

You might as well get ready with that statement. I am predicting b efore long that most locations that are major gathering places for people will have metal detectors installed in them. This is coming from someone who knows lots of firefighters and cops. After 9-11, its obvious that some eople cannot be trusted. Get used to it. I expect to see more metal detectors in other locations as time goes by.

Edited by AZ Kinda Guy

Losing streak, GET A LIFE!! If you want to continue this verbal war, send me a message and I will be more than happy to argue until our teeth fall out. But not on this topic, not in front of everybody. If you are a park employee, then I will be nice, corteous, coporative, and helpful in anyway that I can. But, as for that 75% of employees, if you can't handle those types of jerk guests then leave. I have had verbal fights with fellow guests because they were giving you guys crap! Now, just because I said what I said, doesn't mean I am rude or abusive towards you guys! Its repulsive that you would say that to me. And its that kinda of attitude thats the cause for what I said. You need to view it from the guests eyes and the guests money and the guests time. Instead of the employees eyes and money and time. For you guys, its nothing! your working anyways so who cares how long it takes! But for us, its our pleasure day and our cash. If you do not have the passion for the job, or the want for it. Then work somewhere else. I know its stressfull for you guys, but it sure ruins my day to come into the park and be greeted by a lazy, dazed, and "just in it for the cash" employee that thinks its soo awful that they have to work. I work too, just like you, I give my jobs 100%. And I know its outdated and presumptuous, but I expect to get the same back. Sadly, I rarely do. Especially when I am looking to have a day of fun at the park. *GOLDEN RULE FOR PARK EMPLOYEES*: YOU WANT THE GUESTS TO TREAT YOU BETTER? THEN START TREATING THEM BETTER! *BIBLICAL GOLDEN RULE*: TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM TREAT YOU

Edited by Inraider

Just a few questions/ideas:

1. I noticed there was a mention of body piercings in the earlier posts. Will these trigger the metal detectors? How about earrings? Will I have to take out my earrings?

2. On the news the other night, they did a short story about the metal detectors and security. They mentioned that the park will have a list of banned items. Does anyone know what these might be? Will we be able to take in cell phones, cameras, etc?

3. As a season pass holder, I will eventually get the hang of it and know what will need to be done to not trigger the detectors (glasses, coins, watches, etc). I'll have every compartment of my purse open for quicker inspection, etc. Once we do it a few times, we will be pros at it and should be able to go through it quickly. My concern will be for all the others, especially those who do not heed the instructions, and end up holding the lines for everyone else. I can just see families trying to get in with a bogged down stroller and several bags with their pockets/clothing/bodies loaded with metalic items. Too bad season pass holders don't have their own main park entrance.

Well at least the earings that I have ever worn they have never set off the medal Detectors. I really think that if they do it would be weird. I think that you will be ok on that though. I am sure that if you have any quetions you could call information and I am not sure what that number is but just look in the yellow pages. I am happy to say that it is for the better of all those who work there and who are guests for all of our safety!!! biggrin.gif

ok, bottom line, in since this still is off season, if any non-associate of pki has a problem with a current associate, handle it in an im on aim or yahoo or whatever, dont bring the problems here and vice versa. if its during the season, go to guest relations and file a complaint. if your an employee id watch what id say because if you like ur job, u might loose it because of this so just do the smart thing and handle it on ur own please. thank you!

...havent you guys been to a park with metal detectors before most all of them have them all of the parks in orlando have them six flags ohio has them whats the big deal

Now I don't know about Six Flags Ohio, but I was just at the four Disney parks in Orlando, and none of them had metal detectors. All of them had security at the gates checking people's bags (Animal Kingdom and Disney/MGM Studios were a lot more efficent about this than either Epcot or the Magic Kingdom). However I never once had to pass through a metla detector. I honestly don't have a large problem with metal detectors, but I honestly think that PKI and other parks around the country need to tak a cue from Walt Disney World about which security measures are needed and which aren't. Honestly if you think about it Disney parks are the ones that have the most cause for concern with terrorism and any kind of violence really. I feel that if Diseny doesn't feel it's necessary it probably isn't.

3. As a season pass holder, I will eventually get the hang of it and know what will need to be done to not trigger the detectors (glasses, coins, watches, etc). I'll have every compartment of my purse open for quicker inspection, etc. Once we do it a few times, we will be pros at it and should be able to go through it quickly. My concern will be for all the others, especially those who do not heed the instructions, and end up holding the lines for everyone else. I can just see families trying to get in with a bogged down stroller and several bags with their pockets/clothing/bodies loaded with metalic items. Too bad season pass holders don't have their own main park entrance.

It might be nice to have a season pass holder only type enterance so that we can get through security without having to worry about the rest of the GP holding us up. I don't think it needs to be much maybe just one or two turnstiles, but it would probably help us to get in faster.

Losing streak, GET A LIFE!! If you want to continue this verbal war, send me a message and I will be more than happy to argue until our teeth fall out. But not on this topic, not in front of everybody. If you are a park employee, then I will be nice, corteous, coporative, and helpful in anyway that I can. But, as for that 75% of employees, if you can't handle those types of jerk guests then leave. I have had verbal fights with fellow guests because they were giving you guys crap! Now, just because I said what I said, doesn't mean I am rude or abusive towards you guys! Its repulsive that you would say that to me. And its that kinda of attitude thats the cause for what I said. You need to view it from the guests eyes and the guests money and the guests time. Instead of the employees eyes and money and time. For you guys, its nothing! your working anyways so who cares how long it takes! But for us, its our pleasure day and our cash. If you do not have the passion for the job, or the want for it. Then work somewhere else. I know its stressfull for you guys, but it sure ruins my day to come into the park and be greeted by a lazy, dazed, and "just in it for the cash" employee that thinks its soo awful that they have to work. I work too, just like you, I give my jobs 100%. And I know its outdated and presumptuous, but I expect to get the same back. Sadly, I rarely do. Especially when I am looking to have a day of fun at the park. *GOLDEN RULE FOR PARK EMPLOYEES*: YOU WANT THE GUESTS TO TREAT YOU BETTER? THEN START TREATING THEM BETTER! *BIBLICAL GOLDEN RULE*: TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM TREAT YOU

Under no circumstances should an employee fight with a customer. you're 100% right. And I never condoned it, never said it was right. All I'm trying to say is that this is there for your safety, and if you choose to complain about it, then go somewhere else. I am not talking as a representative of Paramount, I am saying this of my own opinion. Don't take it as though I were an employee. Its irrelevant. If you told me the metal detectors were stupid while I was on the job, I would politely present my case, and leave you to draw your own conclusions. But the point of this site, or one thing about it, is that I can be opinionated, and i am exercising that right. I am no lazy, dazed in it for the cash employee. I can't stand people like that. But please, realize that they are there for your safety, and its too bad if they shorten your day of fun. Its better then shortening your life, is it not?

A Security associate will not give you a hard time if you don't give them a hard time. The metal detectors are there for associate and guest protection weither people seem to like it or not. It is a procedure that is mandatory for entrance to the park...period. Saftey is first at PKI, it has been and always will be a staple. If it means that there is going to be a little bit of a wait to get into the park to ensure their safety, then I am sure our guests wouldn't mind. I know each and every new person I hire is more than glad to hear about the system (expecialy new secuirty employees). Please dont speculate about something you have not personally seen in motion yet. With all the current events I dont blame us for taking extra precautions.

I wish I could say it nicer but: your beating a dead horse! You think I didn't already know about all that suff?!?!?!?! I would never be rude to an employee, but I expect the same back. PKI has lasted for 30 years and never had an incident needing forceful action or for the search of all park guests. I am in your minority, I do not think this is correct, I think its a waste of cash, I consider it a hassle, It wastes my time, It wastes your time, and it will certainly not make me feel more secure. I already felt secure at PKI without the metal detectors. I have stated my case, my cause, and will not participate in this conversation anymore. I will not change your minds, but you won't change mine either.

So what if Mr. Weirdo does sneak in a gun. If that's because we didn't have metal detectors than KI is going to get massively sued and be closed for a while for that. I would rather lose a couple minutes, which I'm sure the park will make up for by opening the gates a couple minutes earlier. With the comment about the super market. How many super markets do you know that even have 500 people in it. How about 5,000. I don't know where you shop, but I've never seen that.