Cincinnati Reds Opening Day 2009 (PTR)

ZosoBeast

Got a chance to go to the game today and even though it was cold AND they lost, I still had a great time.

3418743827_b1629c21a1_o.jpg

Heading to the park.

3418743913_fd316753b8_o.jpg

This brick is on the outside of the park at the entry plaza. My father, who passed away in 1998, was a HUGE Reds fan and I bought this brick in his memory.

3419552802_d268504c29_o.jpg

Handing out free posters as you walked in.

3418744043_35e37083d3_o.jpg

Already in the park at this point, I snapped a pic of all the people still waiting to get in.

3418744175_a74892f1af_o.jpg

New this year, the park has a $1 menu. $1 hot dog, drinks and popcorn along with some other stuff. Needless to say, this stand was a mob scene during the whole game. The people behind the counter could not keep up with the demand. At one point, I waited in line here for 40mins!

3418744297_f322facc11_o.jpg

One of the few times I was glad I had a "cheap seat" since it was under shelter! While most of the people in the stadium were getting rain/misted on, I was comfortably dry in my seat for the whole game!

3419553138_2476e94118_o.jpg

National Anthem

3419553236_02b3367a00_o.jpg

Flag on the field during the National Anthem.

3418744399_f30544ee87_o.jpg

Another view of the flag.

3418744513_57da12fde9_o.jpg

Yet another view.

3418744621_862661b966_o.jpg

Nick Lachey throwing out the ceremonial first pitch.

3419553432_44aa4f11ba_o.jpg

And the official first pitch of the 2009 Reds season.

3419553498_c188d19681_o.jpg

The new HD scoreboard is a beauty!

3418744761_9a34c302bb_o.jpg

The now "Pepsi free" tall stacks since it is now a Coke stadium.

3418744997_c3379c38d2_o.jpg

During "God Bless America"

Thanks for reading!

Bill

Awesome trip report!

To augment what you said about the scoreboard: it was actually a $10 million renovation, replacing the scoreboard with a state-of-the-art HD scoreboard. You'll also notice that the vertical posts behind right field that used to tote the banners of all of the NL teams now has been replaced with incredible graphic displays as well.

Glad you had a good time.

The graphic displays also are arranged and can be changed to show who's in what place in each division, just as the flags were arranged to show the standings. So now the Red's can look up at see the nice HD logo in second to last place, right above the Pirates.

I remeber hearing on the radio that former president George W. Bush was going to throw out the first pitch, and I herd this today!

He did at the Texas-Cleveland game.

Great PTR Bill! I'll have my photos up on www.queencitydisco.com later tonight.

Nice photo's Bill, good to see got to have a day off to enjoy a reds game. If I remember right you have attended several Reds home opener games in the past. Well the stadium looks really good in your pictures thanks for sharing. I just wish we could get one of those $1.00 stands at Boomerang Bay.

First, great trip report. I had been to the last five or six opening day, but my mom and I decided not to go this year because of the cold and rain/sleet/snow :( . There were tickets this morning on StubHub for $19 though! Can you believe that? $19 for a ticket to Cincinnati Reds Opening Day!

Part of that 10 mil for new boards also replaced the left field wall displays! So new main board, new left field wall board, new digital banners in right field, and I'm thinking also the boards around the stadium on the facades down the lines. I've heard a few people say they are quite amazing.

HEY!!! I have a brick too!! I got one with my entire family's name on it. We're all big Reds fans, so I thought it was appropriate. My grandpa never misses it when he goes to a game.

Glad you had a good time. Too bad they lost, but the dollar menu intrigues me, I may have to make a trip down and drop a few bills on some food. Thanks for the TR.

Great pictures!

Too bad I'm a Mets fan! :lol:

ANY time the Reds play the Mets and the Mets win my hubby gets mad at ME. I made the mistake of getting us tickets to a Mets vs Reds game 3 years ago. Mets won and hubby was furious. Wouldn't talk to me the whole way home. When he did talk he was saying things like "well you didn't win by much"...yadda yadda.

Can you say sore loser?

That was the first and LAST time I ever got us tiks to those games!!!

And he doesn't understand why!!!