Milennium Force/Hyper Comparison

HandsUp

I apologize if this has been discussed...but the closest comparison to the DB is the MF in my experience. For those who have ridden a Hyper-how does it compare to the MF? The DB's 1st hill will be a shorter drop, but it seems that it will have more up and down motion-as opposed to the MF that has that big banking turn right after the 1st hill. I'm just curious.

Can't wait either...got a Platinum pass for Christmas...few more weeks!

Diamondback and Millennium Force will be two very different beasts. Millie is an Intamin and Diamondback is a B&M so they will give very different ride experiences. Diamondback will be more closely related to Behemoth or Goliath.

I've ridding Goliath and it was a very different ride than Millie. Millie is all about force and speed, Goliath was all about air time. Diamondback will probably be similar.

Me :D

When I ride Nitro the only intense part to me is the first hill. The rest of the floater airtime is actually pretty relaxing.

Apollo's Chariot also dies down after the first drop.

On Diamondback since there is the little ravine after the second drop it looks like the ride will keep its speed.

MF is a great ride (and at the top of my favorite coasters at CP), but it tends to hardly have any force after the first hill. After the first hill, the ride has pretty much no airtime or high positive g's and little lateral g's from the banked curves. It is amazingly fast and smooth and the first hill is breathtaking, but afterwards it is just a fast ride with little forces compared to other rides. However, it keeps up tons of speed and has stayed relatively smooth since it opened. :)

I've heard MF plenty of time referred to as "Millennium Forceless".

Can anyone explain this? I have never been on it before but have heard a lot of different perspectives on the ride.

It is mainly due to the fact that people staple themselves. Leave an inch or so of space between you and the lapbar, and don't yank the seatbelt so tightly that it cuts off your circulation.

I have always gotten air on MF. Heck, I even get air on TTD's top hat because I DO NOT STAPLE MYSELF.

Even so, there is more to a ride than airtime.

Me :D

When I ride Nitro the only intense part to me is the first hill. The rest of the floater airtime is actually pretty relaxing.

Apollo's Chariot also dies down after the first drop.

On Diamondback since there is the little ravine after the second drop it looks like the ride will keep its speed.

I'm pretty surprised at that. I've been on MF tons of times now, easily my favorite coaster. And you can get some pretty good air time in the back seat. But Apollo's Chariot is the best B&M Hyper I've been on. The first drop is great, but my favorite is the third drop down onto the lake. Not to mention the very last drop of the ride... tons of air time. I think Diamondback will definitely compete though.

^ and ^^ Thanks for the responses!

Hopefully I can get up there this summer and see for myself!

That first hill intimidates the living heck out of a lot of people, so that is why they staple.

One night I rode very back seat on MF, left like 2 inches of space between myself and the bar, and gave my seatbelt a few inches of slack. My butt left the seat for 3 straight seconds on the first drop, and got some nice air on all three hills.. yes, even the bunny hill by the station.

I highly suggest riding in the extreme rear seat, especially at night. Getting yanked over that first hill and through all the elements in the dark at 93 mph is an experience. :D

Safety restraints are there for a reason. They should be used in a proper manner, and be snuggly fitting to your body. After all, restraints are there to keep you safe during the ride. Leaving excess space between yourself and the safety restrain jeopardizes your safety, and in turn the reputation of the park, if something bad were to happen. Safety should be your top priority when riding amusement park rides, as they are after all, big pieces of machinery.

That being said, there is a difference between the restraint being firmly secured and being stapled. Primarily, if you pull down the restraint until it reaches a slight resistance that is fine. (Ie, no two inch gaps between your thighs and the restraints). However, if a ride op pushes down on your lap bar as hard as possible and staples you in, effectively digging your cell phone into your thigh and cutting off circulation to your leg, that is too tight. I speak from experience when a ride op did that to me this year, and made my entire ride completely unenjoyable.

Remember safety is of paramount importance. Having been a ride operator at an amusement park, I can attest to the fact that some people will try and circumvent safety measures (particularly rocking the seats on the ferris wheel, despite numerous verbal and written warning). Remember, that you as a rider have a responsibility to ride in a safe manner that will not contribute to injury or harm to yourself or others. (Yes, Ohio has rider responsibility laws governing such a thing).

Ahhh yes good ole Minimum Force. Dont get me wrong I love the ride, but it is more about height and speed and less about latteral and negative g's. Ride the majority of B&M hypers or even a Gio Hyper like Titan and you will see the true beauty of negative and especially latteral g's.

Diamondback from the stats that have been posted has more negative g's than Voyage, also with the transitions in and out of elements Diamondback should produce more intense lateral g's than MF.

Honestly the comparision is Apples to Oranges between the two.

Remember safety is of paramount importance. Having been a ride operator at an amusement park, I can attest to the fact that some people will try and circumvent safety measures (particularly rocking the seats on the ferris wheel, despite numerous verbal and written warning). Remember, that you as a rider have a responsibility to ride in a safe manner that will not contribute to injury or harm to yourself or others. (Yes, Ohio has rider responsibility laws governing such a thing).

Tehe (paramount)

One of my worst rides on The Racer when I was little was when the lap bar was so tight it hurt every time the train even somewhat jolted. I couldn't stand it and I was almost ready to cry (being about 9 or 10 probably). I know what you mean.

There is indeed a big gap between comfortable and staple. Superman Ride of Steel at SFNE. Especially with those old evil ankle guards and having a ride associate purposely push the restraint as far down as possible by using all of their weight and pretty much jumping on the lap bar when thrusting it into you. No need for me to go and complain to anyone, the guy infront of me went straight up to the ride op and started screaming.

Safety and having an enjoyable ride go together but are 2 totally different things.

I personally prefer B&M Hypers over Milli. Don't get me wrong i think Milli is a good ride I've just never thought it was that great, however rides such as Goliath, Nitro, and Apollo never let up from beginning to end and I have a STRONG feeling that D-back will atleast be close to that as well. CP has far better coasters than Milli in my opinion.

Millenium Force is my favorite steel coaster by far. I've always wondered why, considering how popular the ride is, another 'Giga' Coaster has never been built. I'm sure they're not cheap but something has to be said for it's persistent popularity through almost a decade now.

OK, I am trying to figure out the difference between a Hyper and a Giga. Please correct me if I am wrong here, but it looks like they are height measurements.

Hyper - Steel coater above 200'

Giga - Steel coater above 300'

Indyguy, still learning..

Hyper - Steel coater above 200'

Giga - Steel coater above 300'

My understanding is that they're 'brand names' of the respective designers...Not an objective classification. They do seem to both be big, fast, metal, non-looping coasters. With the 'clamshell' restraints...and the focus on negative Gs, I'm sure DB will not dissapoint...especially since it's in my backyard!

Clarification. Giga is an Intamin coined name, but generally refers to coaster over the 300ft but under the 400ft barrier.

Hyper is a term that was coined by Arrow, but is something like Kleenex when referfing to facial tissues or Bandaid. Basically any coaster over 200ft and under 300ft. The B&M version is actually referred to as a Mega coaster, which is what Diamondback is.

Clarification. Giga is an Intamin coined name, but generally refers to coaster over the 300ft but under the 400ft barrier.

Hyper is a term that was coined by Arrow, but is something like Kleenex when referfing to facial tissues or Bandaid. Basically any coaster over 200ft and under 300ft. The B&M version is actually referred to as a Mega coaster, which is what Diamondback is.

Except Kleenex is still a registered trademark for Kimberly Clark's brand of facial tissue and Band-Aid is still a registered trademark for Johnson & Johnson's brand of adhesive bandages...unlike escalator, aspirin, thermos, etc., which used to be exclusive trademarks and no longer are.