Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit

Any idea when it's supposed to open? I thought the original date I heard was May...

I thought about making a Universal trip this Spring, but decided I wanted to wait for this coaster...I thought about waiting until "Potterland" was done, but that's too long of a wait! :)

i only heard that it will open in the spring. You may wanna contact the park before you leave for your trip and see if it is open, or when it will open.

And what is Potterland?

The new Harry Potter themed area in IOA...I'm not particularly a Harry Potter fan (actually, no "particularly" about it...I've never read one of the books or seen any of the movies), but the attractions look pretty cool. (Plus, I don't really want to be hassled by construction when I'm wanting to enjoy IOA :) )

The new Harry Potter themed area in IOA...I'm not particularly a Harry Potter fan (actually, no "particularly" about it...I've never read one of the books or seen any of the movies), but the attractions look pretty cool. (Plus, I don't really want to be hassled by construction when I'm wanting to enjoy IOA :) )

I love Harry Potter. Do you know of a website address that I can go to so I can find out more info about the rides in the Harry Potter land?

Regarding an opening date, it was originally going to be opening officially on Memorial Day weekend....same as Manta. However the pictures that were posted from Tuesday? They reflect how the ride has looked for almost a month now. Rumor has it that there is a serious engineering issue with the lift that is going to require serious modifications....hence why vertical construction has halted with the lift being the ONLY part left to complete. So it goes, late June / early July may be the soonest we get to take the first rides! Looks like its promising though and its certainly changed the skyline at Universal.

Yeah it looks like they are having some real issues getting this ride up. If you look over at johnny upsidedown there are some pics that show a missing support about 3/4 the hill after that first non-inverting loop thing. The support was there then gone and I think its back again now but it has some black around the bottom where you tell it was 'adjusted'. Over at TPR someone posted a pic of the support cut in half with a torch. Also I here that the track goes through an old firehouse but that they are having clearance issues and may have to remove the track in order to adjust the facade of the building.

can you spot the missing support?

New and Improved support

Firehouse section

I think this ride has some amazing transitions and I can't wait to hear what that first loop element is like. But I think the supports are the ugliest thing since the Chiller. They look like cheap scaffolding. As far as supports go I think less is better as in Diamondback and Millennium Force.

I wish I had gotten a chance to ride it too, espiecally before the rolls were replaced. Oh well.

As for FoF Terpy, it's a totally different thing for me. I'm completely impressed with how interwoven that track is and looking at it is just like a spectacle, a testament to engineering and design. I even look at pics of Jokers Jinx whenever I'm looking at pics of FOF. The thing about Chillers is the boxy crowd of verticle supports under the top hat and supporting the cobra roll. Still looks incredibly fun though.

Ah, gorgeous!

Terpy, who misses it still...thanks for posting that....

Funny to hear you say that :-) I seem to recall all those visits to Coaster Celebration where *I* adored the ride....even with the shoulder restraints and you detested it! Funny how things change, shame I didnt make it back in time to experience it with the lap bars :-( I also agree with what tigellinus says, Poltergeist & Joker's Jinx put FoF to shame....especially with how FoF is operated now.

The old Terpster does not like head banging. I didn't detest Chiller with OTSR's nearly to the extent that I almost always detested Steel Phantom with them. Phantom's Revenge benefited from the lapbars far more than the Premier conversions did...and that's saying a lot! As you may recall, I detested Mr. Freeze at St. Louis when it had those things, too.