The Crypt so much potential. So little time...

Well I know this subject has floated around here a bit. So if its dead horse delete or ignore. But the crypt has such potential, back in its earlier form the theatrics made it a experience. In its new form its a pure thrill ride alone. My thought is that I realize there are licensing issues restraining "themeing" the ride. But as it is encased in theory a blackroom, why not just add some basic rgb color changing light cannons that flood the room with slow fading color as the ride operates? Maybe a bit of ambient music it would give it a unique style. Just an idea. It really has such potential anyone that has other suggestions feel free to share with the rest of the class.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that actually would be an improvement, I mean seriously what if they had the lighting hooked up to where they could alter it on the fly so one ride could be a eerie red filling the room, or strobing whit and blue another, or maybe just bright white and black, maybe disco ball dots everywhere? The variety could really make every ride a completely different experience and the costs to acomplish it..... Virtually little at all. I just hate that it has sooo much potential and with a bit of effort and creativity it could really be a treat.

Yes because a dicoball themed attraction really fits well in Rivertown. Oh wait TR:TR didn't fit so well either.

I have 2 thoughts on how Giant Box:The Ride can be rethemed. I will share 1.

Name ideas: F5, Tornado, WhirlWind or Super Cell.

Theme and story. Riders are seeking shelter from a fast approaching storm that has been producing serious weather.

The outside of the crypt would be a false front that looked like a barn or other style of building that would fit in Rivertown, with signs pointing towards the entrance to the storm shelter located inside the structure. As guests enter they wind through the insides of the barn going by different farm equipment and machinery and while they continue their trek towards the strom shelter the sound of howling wind grows louder and the lights start to flicker. Once seated in the gondola guests are warned they must ride the storm out and then the lights go out, with nothing but howling wind, thunder and creaking metal to be heard. Strobes can be placed inside to produce a lightning effect and that is when the ride begins. The ride would go through its normal course of opperation with the strobe lights and sounds. Also the ceilings and the floor would once again have props on them. Everything from a mangled tractor, debri, and even a flying cow to give the sense that the rider was swept up in The Vortex of the tornado.

I think this would be a fairly simple yet effective solution for resolving the issues with the Crypt.

Just my 2 cents.

Railrider - I LOVE your idea. That would make me want to ride it. I'll admit - I've avoided it on the last couple of trips I've taken to KI. I just don't feel it's worth the wait. If I can walk on, I'll ride but that hasn't happened yet. You should submit this idea to KI. I think you really have something there!

I can't remember if they had the ambient music on last year or not, since it was 'closed' so much, but the music used while it was TR:TR was Peter Gabriel's score from the movie "The Passion of the Christ".

Great idea there, thats sorta my point. Its likt a closed set they could really do most anything and it would be better than a dark empty warehouse with a ride in it. They could easily change the theme every year and it would make it a special thing people would visit each year to see where Kings Island is going to take me this year you know. All ideas on deaf ears but would be cool. Especially on halloweekends I mean in its current state you think it would be a highlight on halloween yet when we went each time I believe it was not running?????????

agreed, except that CF would then have to disassemble the shed too, at an additional cost....I don't think they'd dissasemble the shed it's in and reassemble it elsewhere. perhaps with DB it will draw more people to the ride. if they would use the TR effects with the Crypt ride program, I'd be happy.

Well I know this subject has floated around here a bit. So if its dead horse delete or ignore. But the crypt has such potential, back in its earlier form the theatrics made it a experience. In its new form its a pure thrill ride alone. My thought is that I realize there are licensing issues restraining "themeing" the ride. But as it is encased in theory a blackroom, why not just add some basic rgb color changing light cannons that flood the room with slow fading color as the ride operates? Maybe a bit of ambient music it would give it a unique style. Just an idea. It really has such potential anyone that has other suggestions feel free to share with the rest of the class.

Tomb Raider is very close to me for many reasons. It was the ride that started my interest in the coaster/thrill ride industry. I remember getting off of the ride in 2002 and wondering how the ride worked. I wanted to learn more about it which in turn led me into the person I am today. It is a shame that this one of a kind ride has changed so drastically since its debut; however, I was a big fan of the new program when I rode it as The Crypt, while it is not the same as TRTR I believe it offers a unique thrill that TRTR and any other ride at KI does not offer.

i completely agree is very industrial in nature. The whole loading process is unique and just getting seated is a thrill the first time. The un-knowing of what the ride even will do. Its a rare experience to be seated and hear a first time rider ask " what does this even do?" then once the contraption begins the initial " wow i cant believe this". Its just is close to becoming a one trick pony as it ends to abrubt and its one ride where the atmosphere during the operation was 60+% of the thrill. Really wish it could be rethought. And the overall costs to make it happen could be very minimal......

I can assure you that the music played in the then TR:TR was not Peter Gabriel's Passion, the soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ. While parts of Passion are very percussion heavy and some similarities do exist between Passion and the TR:TR music, they are not one and the same. As a huge Gabriel fan, I've listened to Passion countless times and can tell the difference. :)

Fans of the original Tomb Raider: The Ride are extremely ecstatic as a whole to learn that the goddess carving on the wall is now being illuminated in the ride chamber: a hint to them that some aspects of the original ride may return in the coming years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crypt_(Kings_Island)

I think wikipedia just hates me, but is this true?

Fans of the original Tomb Raider: The Ride are extremely ecstatic as a whole to learn that the goddess carving on the wall is now being illuminated in the ride chamber: a hint to them that some aspects of the original ride may return in the coming years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crypt_(Kings_Island)

I think wikipedia just hates me, but is this true?

When I rode it last year the goddess had a purple light outlining it,but I really dont think its going to come back. They should just remove that statue.

The first time I rode TRTR was 2007. As I was standing in line, right outside the cave entrance, they were playing (very faintly) a track from either the The Last temptation of Christ, or the Passion Sources. I remember because I hadn't listened to the soundtrack, or Source CD for years, and at first I thought it was Dead Can Dance..laughs. I'm at work now so I cant say with certainty what track it was, but if I think about it later I'll try to identify what track I remember hearing.

Once inside the cave the music went to a sort of tribal percussion track.

Walk-ons are becoming easier and easier on light days. I won't wait long for it either!

The only time i'll actually wait more than 15 minutes for a ride on The Crypt is when it's extremely hot outside because the cold quene line really helps. Same with FoF.

Tomb Raider will forever be one of my favorite rides when it had first opened that is. It was truly a remarkable achievement for the Kings Island and Paramount parks in general. It's a shame that Cedar Fair has let the ride go to crap and merely made it a hybrid Halloween Haunt-esque attraction. Laziness is what i call there retheme. In my opinion as much as they have damaged what the ride originally was they at this point should just remove the ride.

Can someone provide some sort of source or proof that Tomb Raider: the Ride used music from the Last Temptation of Christ? If someone has a copy of the soundtrack to the movie, post it on putfile. I still have a hard time believing that that is true. I know Kings Island has "borrowed" music from movies before, *caugh* Beast lift hill *caugh*, but in the time I worked at Tomb Raider I NEVER heard that that is where the music came from.

Can someone provide some sort of source or proof that Tomb Raider: the Ride used music from the Last Temptation of Christ? If someone has a copy of the soundtrack to the movie, post it on putfile. I still have a hard time believing that that is true. I know Kings Island has "borrowed" music from movies before, *caugh* Beast lift hill *caugh*, but in the time I worked at Tomb Raider I NEVER heard that that is where the music came from.

http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Peter-Gabrie...8969&sr=1-2

Listen to Lazarus Raised, or Of These Hope.

The music wasn't playing inside the ride, or even inside the indoor queue area. It was right outside of the the cave entrance.

Yes because a dicoball themed attraction really fits well in Rivertown. Oh wait TR:TR didn't fit so well either.

I have 2 thoughts on how Giant Box:The Ride can be rethemed. I will share 1.

Name ideas: F5, Tornado, WhirlWind or Super Cell.

Theme and story. Riders are seeking shelter from a fast approaching storm that has been producing serious weather.

The outside of the crypt would be a false front that looked like a barn or other style of building that would fit in Rivertown, with signs pointing towards the entrance to the storm shelter located inside the structure. As guests enter they wind through the insides of the barn going by different farm equipment and machinery and while they continue their trek towards the strom shelter the sound of howling wind grows louder and the lights start to flicker. Once seated in the gondola guests are warned they must ride the storm out and then the lights go out, with nothing but howling wind, thunder and creaking metal to be heard. Strobes can be placed inside to produce a lightning effect and that is when the ride begins. The ride would go through its normal course of opperation with the strobe lights and sounds. Also the ceilings and the floor would once again have props on them. Everything from a mangled tractor, debri, and even a flying cow to give the sense that the rider was swept up in The Vortex of the tornado.

I think this would be a fairly simple yet effective solution for resolving the issues with the Crypt.

Just my 2 cents.

Incredible idea RR. That could be done relatively cheaply and very convincingly.

I remember waiting in line for HOURS opening season for TRTR and it was truely a one of a kind thrill. I loved feeling like you were shoved right into an action scene of the latest tomb Raider film! The atmosphere is what made the ride...boring ride program or not. It was meant to highlight its theming and I think Kings Island and Paramount did a fantastic job. I must say however, that Cedar Fair's rendition is an Epic Fail! That "retheming" is nothing but pure laziness. I love the previously mentioned idea and it would fit well in rivertown...however, in my opinion, Tomb Raider will be missed.

Really, all the Crypt needs is some blaring European techno music and flashing colored lights. Oh wait....

That was a filler for the first week when it opened....and it was awesome!

Seriously, the ride program is AWESOME. I *LOVE* the new Crypt. It's intense as hell, and there's always something different or new when I ride it. (Pretty regularly) I could careless if they added theming. Epic fail my ass!

You don't have to have theming to have a great ride.