Who is your favorite Kings island owner?

sgshredder33

This idea poped in to my head a little while back so now I am going to post it. I am only 13 so the only owners I know are Cedar Fair and Paramounts. I would have to say Paramounts, because that is what I have had most of my childhood. I also love the memories or walking back to topgun hearing the topgun themesong. I also loved all the movie refrences(sp?). I know paramounts jacked up prices among other things, but I still miss those days. and also don't get me wrong I love what CF has done. I just like a story on my rides which is why I think I like Paramounts and Disney so much. Feel free to discuss your answer.

I'll vote for Paramount because I got my book published when they were in power, and they invited me to every media event. Those were the good old days.

Call me an old timer but I always thought media day was for the media so they could get their shots and write their stories and park enthusiasts got 100+ operating days to enjoy the ride for themselves.

This idea poped in to my head a little while back so now I am going to post it. I am only 13 so the only owners I know are Cedar Fair and Paramounts. I would have to say Paramounts, because that is what I have had most of my childhood. I also love the memories or walking back to topgun hearing the topgun themesong. I also loved all the movie refrences(sp?). I know paramounts jacked up prices among other things, but I still miss those days. and also don't get me wrong I love what CF has done. I just like a story on my rides which is why I think I like Paramounts and Disney so much. Feel free to discuss your answer.

I don't think this is a fair poll. I think at least 75 percent of the members here couldn't remember much past Paramount.

This is kind of like holding a taste test between 4 drinks where 1 drink recipie is still being perfected and where the majority of people haven't even tried 2 of them.

BTW, I dont remember a Kins Entertainment owning the park, lol.

I did like the park back when it was Paramount mainly because of the movie theming (most of the movies featured were my favorites), but the park felt more like a traditional family park. Not that that is a bad thing, but eventually people get bored with parks like that and find other parks to visit. (I still slip up from time to time and call Invertigo Face/Off. I am sorry but without the Top Gun theming, Flight Deck has lost its appeal to me.)

Regardless of my personal opinion above: With Paramount owning the park, it seemed that the park and the rides were depending on the support of popular movies. Who knows how many movie re-themes they would need to have done to keep the park's appeal, and the guests coming back?

Since CF took over, the park has really been put on the map. It's not just because of Diamondback. The music in the park, the publicizing of events, and the cleaning up of the midway (which I have noticed) are definite factors. I was pleased with the repainting of Vortex too, even if only because it's Diamondback's neighbor and will likely be seen in several media shots. To this day, Vortex is still one of my favorites, and it was my first real coaster. I'm also a huge fan of Cedar Point, and I noticed last year that the park is starting to get a touch of CP magic. I feel it when I walk down the midway, and it's great.

The best thing to me is, it seems that the park is working harder to accommodate their guests, along with carefully listening to people about what they would like to see, and applying that to future plans.

That is one of the things I REALLY appreciate about the park.. that they pay attention to their guests.

My vote goes to Cedar Fair.

I have worked under all the owners of The Island and they all left their mark. Of Taft, Kings Entertainment, Paramount Parks and now Cedar Fair, I would have to put my mark with Taft. I worked at The Island for the first four years of the park's operation, starting in 1972. I liked each themed area of the park having their own flavor and distinctive music. When I worked in the park, I always enjoyed working in Coney Island (now Coney Mall) for the music they played. As a musician myself (Tenor Sax, Harmonica, Concertina), I loved the music that they played. There is one piece of music in particular that I enjoyed the most. I forget the title of it but I know one of the lines of it: "Yes sir, that's my baby; yes sir, that my honey; yes sir that's sweety pie!' Yes, I like the music but don't get me wrong, there were other things also. Besides the parties in the park, they paid for us to go to a Reds game, which was in 1974. Now I am basing this as an employee and not as a guest.

But I would have to say as a guest, Taft made their mark on The Island. They made each section of the park have their own unique design. Coney Island recreated the days gone by of the early 20th century. River Town had rustic look and feel to it. Hanna Barbera Land created an atmosphere as if the kids were entering a cartoon. And Octoberfest reminded me of my grandparents homeland in Germany. As mention, each had their own music to set the mood. Taft brought the best of Coney Island with them and created new rides and areas that defined Kings Island that it is to this very day.

One thing I can say for Cedar Fair, they are bringing back the glory days of my my youth, not that I am old. :D Cedar Fair has brought back the same glory that was and is Kings Island and best of all, they are making sure that MY Island will continue to excel in the years to come.

The Kings Island Original Employee

I took Cedar Fair, but the only thing I'm sure of is that I put Paramount's at the bottom. I only came a hand full of times during their ownership. I hated what they did to this park. I hated the movie posters everywhere. In my opinion they practically destroyed the park, took the charm out of it and took a lot of rides I like out. I like Cedar Fair, however I don't like the fact that the only new rides we'll see is the big thrill rides, the park desperately needs some mild rides to compliment the big rides.

I don't think this is a fair poll. I think at least 75 percent of the members here couldn't remember much past Paramount.

This is kind of like holding a taste test between 4 drinks where 1 drink recipie is still being perfected and where the majority of people haven't even tried 2 of them.

BTW, I dont remember a Kins Entertainment owning the park, lol.

Yeah I realized this would be kind of biased. I think It would have been better if I would have just put Paramounts and Cedar Fair.

A very close call for me between Cedar Fair and Taft Broadcasting. I voted for Taft because of the warm memories I have going with my dad in those days to KI and riding the old rides, including Enchanted Voyage, Cuddle Up, Der Spinning Keggers ( My very first KI ride. ), Tumble Bug, Sky Ride. Its just nice to see the old rides co-exist with the new. ( Part of the charm of CP.)

the park desperately needs some mild rides to compliment the big rides.

I think KI has a great blend of mild rides and thrill rides. It's Cedar Point that needs more mild rides. You have the Giant Wheel, coal train, a few sparse kids' areas, and that's it. The rest is all towering roller coasters.. which by the way, is fine with me.. but not for someone else.

Then again, that may just be me.. I take Drop Tower's free fall with no hands. I love an extreme thrill. :D

I think KI has a great blend of mild rides and thrill rides. It's Cedar Point that needs more mild rides. You have the Giant Wheel, coal train, a few sparse kids' areas, and that's it. The rest is all towering roller coasters.. which by the way, is fine with me.. but not for someone else.

Then again, that may just be me.. I take Drop Tower's free fall with no hands. I love an extreme thrill. :D

It's you. Cedar Point still has many flat rides, unlike Great Adventure, Six Flags Over Georgia or Kings Island, which have relatively few. Unfortunately, with the exception of MaXair, most Cedar Point flat ride cycles are terribly short. Makes for much faster moving lines, but I'd like to ride longer than 65 seconds.

Even before the Viacom split Paramount said a whole lot and did a whole little. Cedar Fair has their ups and downs, but I still think they're the best owner that I've seen Kings Island have.

Agreed. I used to work for their office in Charlotte, so I guess I have to be bias! We had brainwashing meetings. Ha ha!

I placed a null vote because I wouldn't vote for Paramount, Cedar Fair just got the park (relatively), and I was too young to really remember Taft or the other one. If CF had been going on year 6 or 7, my vote would have gone to them. That said, I think things are looking good for our fair park.

In my humble opinion, anything pre-paramount, and Cedar Fair. Cedar Fair is bringing back what I remember loving about the park as a child. And this is not just to mend my longing for childhood. I am referring to cleanliness, descency, quality, value, and mood. If only Cedar Fair had owned the park for the last decade, goodness knows how it would compare with their Flagship park by now.

As a kid, mid to late 80's I greatly preferred KI over CP. Once Magnum went in I never even made it back to KI. Of course I can't compare KI now to then because I'm an adult and it's totally different. So all I can add to this discussion is to say that I think Cedar Fair has done wonders for KI and I am quite pleased with their work.

I think CP is grossly under-rated with respect to their reputation for providing child friendy areas. I would not call the kids' areas sparse. You have not one, not two but three kids' areas( Camp Snoopy, King Arthur's Court, Planet Snoopy) and I would certainly not call them sparse.

And the train is first-class-the theming( Love that Boneville) provides first-class entertainment.

And I never miss a ride or two on Paddlewheel Excursion. A nice relaxing ride coupled with the corney jokes- a welcome break after getting worn out by the coasters.

And the Giant Wheel is a first class ferris wheel.

Not to mention not one but two antique car rides and more kiddy rides scattered along the TTD Midway.

So, what is this about CP not being family friendly?

I voted for CF, because purely from a business ops perspective I think they're really good. However...

I wish I could have seen what Paramount Communications would have done with the parks if they wouldn't have been bought by Viacom in '94...