Diamondback First Thoughts and Impressions?!

tigellinus

Skywriter took walk of shame today not b.c of my gut it was because of my thighs which are muscular from football not fat. Many people would get in the test seat and there thighs would be too big. So i was pretty much let down today. Diamondback is the only roller coaster I cannot ride in the park I mean I have even ridden MF and TTD which I'm confused why I did not fit on DB I know it was b.c of my leg :( darn football lifting.

I would have to agree DB really is not too special it's just tall.

Sorry to hear that man. Behemoth is the same way and it's quite unfortunate. I can fit on Behemoth but just barely. Sometimes I have to ram the restraint in to me, and sometimes I don't have to and it's fine. I see people bigger than me make it on the ride without issue. It is all in the thighs.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skywriter took walk of shame today not b.c of my gut it was because of my thighs which are muscular from football not fat. Many people would get in the test seat and there thighs would be too big. So i was pretty much let down today. Diamondback is the only roller coaster I cannot ride in the park I mean I have even ridden MF and TTD which I'm confused why I did not fit on DB I know it was b.c of my leg :( darn football lifting.

I would have to agree DB really is not too special it's just tall.

Sorry to hear that man. Behemoth is the same way and it's quite unfortunate. I can fit on Behemoth but just barely. Sometimes I have to ram the restraint in to me, and sometimes I don't have to and it's fine. I see people bigger than me make it on the ride without issue. It is all in the thighs.

Yeah it's ok and yeah I know my thighs are not fat there muscle so I will have to figure out a way to get them just a little smaller. I did ride The Beast today which gave me a great ride.

I forgot to add I got wet on the Splashdown without trying...at all!!

Also, there are still some kinks with ride operations like way too many W.O.S.'s (seeing one on almost every train I've been on!), ineffective seat assigning (seen LOTS of empty entire rows due to a row not being assigned when a train is ready to load!! <_< ), and a lot of people getting on from the exit on almost every train too (VIP's, whoever).

There's definitely too much train stacking, but that stuff should get better with time and D-back will be as blazing fast as Behemoth, which that line never stopped moving!

Also, as far as D-back not being outside of the box, inside of it is what's in right now in the industry, and on opening day D-back's never stopped running once, the cheers and applause are deafening after each ride, and I just traversed the entire main queue in 30 minutes! Sounds pretty good to me! :D

Update: despite the seat assigning, I successfully begged my way to a front row, which was AWESOME!! I might like that more than the back row!?

Oh yeah, both of my back row rides I got wet on my arms. I was going to see how wet I could get, but I was afraid to test to see how forceful the water was. I didn't want something really bad to happen to my arm. Also, I don't think you have to beg. Just ask politely. I asked if I could have the back row, and they told me yes. All of the workers at Diamondback, except for one, seemed very nice today. The seat assigning was very bad.

First impressions...it's a really, really, good ride. My one ride was in the last row and we were all very impressed with the amount of sling you get over the hills on the ride. You don't really notice the dip into the ravine as you're going too fast to notice! I didn't get as much air on the third hill as everyone else. The trim brake hit really hard on our ride and we still got major air over that hill. I still contend that that trim doesn't affect the ride too much (unless you're in the front few cars), but if we can ever catch a ride when it doesn't catch that will be the singular greatest airtime-filled hill on any B&M coaster.

I wanted to make a comment specifically about the splashdown. I know a lot of enthusiasts were saying "it would have been better to have one more bunny hill instead" or "it's just a gimmick." These folks couldn't be more wrong! Yes, the splashdown doesn't add any real "on-ride" value, but there will be so many signature photos with this splash, not to mention the overwhelming amount of attention it gets from passers-by.

Overall it's a top 5 coaster for me. It'll be interesting to see what happens on a front seat ride, as I have a feeling the air up there will be better than in the back (a rarity on a B&M hyper). What a day!

Yeah I totally agree,America is getting bigger and ride restrains are getting smaller. I mean I even took The Beast for a spin and had no problems.

Ride restraints aren't getting smaller, Americans are just getting fatter. Ride manufacturers (mainly European manufacturers such as B&M, Vekoma, and Intamin) have begun designing their restraints for the average sized person. If you have done any research into engineering ergonomics, you'd learn that the average American is nearly 30% larger in waist and thigh size than the average global citizen. If manufacturers were to start creating much larger restraints to accommodate larger individuals, this puts the safety of more slender and average sized riders at risk. With the latest safety regulations, and the numerous accidents that have occurred with overweight riders in the past decade, ride designers have begun to take no risks when it comes to ride design and safety.

Oh yea, Diamondback totally exceeded my expectations.

I was with Auction group. By 9:30 am, the wait was all around the Chick Fil A toward La Rosa and toward the train station. The guides told me the wait was 5+ hours.

I rode it twice: once on 2-1 and 8-1. Without a doubt, Diamondback is the smoothest ride I have ever been on.

The lift: I really though the lift hill felt like MF at Cedar Point. My daughter said the same thing when I was thinking that.

First drop: Again, similar to MF with soft floater air.

Second hill: This was the insane air hill. This hill had more air time than the third Magnum, the second Voyage, or the third Wild Thing (VF) hills. This was more than a soft floater but definitely not an ejection (My definition of ejection would be Maverick first hill or bunny hills on Magnum).

Third hill: Another great air time hill. This is comparable to the second Voayge hill. A soft floater.

Hammer head: This element surprised me. I thought there was going to be more lateral.

Fourth hill: Very nice floater

Turn around helix: Nice lateral to MCBR.

MCBR drop: This was closest to ejector air time. Somewhat similar to Voyage MCBR or Ghostrider MCBR hill.

Two bunny hills: Again great air time hills. This was very similar to Apollo's Chariot return hills.

Turn around Helix: Not very forceful but good lateral. Somewhat similar to Raging Bull final Helix.

Drop and splash down: I thought this was quite spectacular. Great air time going into the pond. Another floater coming into the brake run.

I am still deciding if Diamondback is up there with Voyage, Magnum, Renegade, or MF. There is no doubt that DB has more air than MF or Renegade. Based on that, this ride ranks higher than MF. This ride ranks right up there with my top five. I will ride some more before comparing to Voyage or Magnum.

Yeah I totally agree,America is getting bigger and ride restrains are getting smaller. I mean I even took The Beast for a spin and had no problems.

Ride restraints aren't getting smaller, Americans are just getting fatter. Ride manufacturers (mainly European manufacturers such as B&M, Vekoma, and Intamin) have begun designing their restraints for the average sized person. If you have done any research into engineering ergonomics, you'd learn that the average American is nearly 30% larger in waist and thigh size than the average global citizen. If manufacturers were to start creating much larger restraints to accommodate larger individuals, this puts the safety of more slender and average sized riders at risk. With the latest safety regulations, and the numerous accidents that have occurred with overweight riders in the past decade, ride designers have begun to take no risks when it comes to ride design and safety.

Oh yea, Diamondback totally exceeded my expectations.

My waist was fine it was my thigh I can't help that.

My waist was fine it was my thigh I can't help that.

I definitely understand that. I was just making a general statement as to why ride restraints have been designed the way they are as of late. All it takes is a few negligent ride operators and riders to cause the manufacturers to design restraints that limit the number of people that can enjoy their rides.

It's literally hours now until the first ride, but I wanted to create this so I could post my very first quick reaction and impression after riding tomorrow!

I'm definitely getting crazy excited!! Anyone who's ridden yet wanna post what they thought and what seat they rode in? :D

I was up at Kings Island at 6 in the moring waiting to ride dimandback. It was so worth the wait. The ride it's self was an adernilan rush. I loved it so much. I was one of the first 500 rides. It was amazing. :lol:

how big can our thighs be?Im sure im ok but can anyone give us a round about safe number we need to be?

I have pretty big thighs from lifting and I was tight on the sides but had plenty of room on top. I was even able to leave some room between the bar and my thighs to get better airtime. My thighs are 22 inches around.

As folks have said - amazing ride with incredible airtime and speed. I thought ride ops did a pretty good job this afternoon of keeping the ride moving (trains leaving consistently), although there were empty seats (including some rows) on many trains.

First ride was in row 10, second ride in row 2. Both were awesome, but the view down the first drop from row 2 was something to behold. Hill 2 is the heart of the ride for me, but it is non stop action all the way.

As for the fit in the seats, as others have said, it is all in the thighs (which concerned me) but I was ok. For those trying to gauge yourself, if I sit in my kitchen chair (typical wood chair) and pull a string over my thighs to the top of the seat, it is about 29" (my thighs are each about 24" around. I'm not saying this is a limit, just trying to provide some perspective.

My first impression is that it was a very fun ride. However, in my opinion, the restraints reduced the airtime too much. I like coasters that are rough, though, and this one is as smooth as silk. So, I like Magnum and The Voyage better. But if you like smoother rides, then this coaster is a gem!! If I was to make a comparison to other coasters, I would call DB a cross between MF and Magnum. I also agree that they need to make changes the assigned rows policy. The dispatch times were fast and the person trying to keep up was having trouble doing so. I think they should add a second row of numbers and a second person going back through the line assigning people to rows . Or figure out a way to paint numbers on the ground in the que similar to Skyhawk at CP (this would be difficult because of the steps though). But these are minor and fixable "growing pains." Overall, DB is a fabulous addition to the park and I'm looking forward to riding it for many years to come.

I rode it 5 times today and I find it absolutely amazing! The first time was a little iffy, but if I kept the restraint high enough I felt all the sweet hang time. This ties in 1st place with best ride in park (Competing against The Beast) What's weird is this line was usually only an hour, when The Beast and Son of Beast were 1.5 hours.

I rode it 5 times today and I find it absolutely amazing! The first time was a little iffy, but if I kept the restraint high enough I felt all the sweet hang time. This ties in 1st place with best ride in park (Competing against The Beast) What's weird is this line was usually only an hour, when The Beast and Son of Beast were 1.5 hours.

I agree. The capacity of this ride is absolutely magnificent!!!!!!!

Goofy, I agree with you. I thought the first half was amazing and the second half to be kind of lame, but after the 2nd ride, I thought the whole thing was amazing! I rode front car all 5 times and it was such a blast. This is most definately my 2nd favorite coaster (First being Millennium Force)

I rode three times. One in the very front, one in the second to last, and one in the very back. Might I add that my ride in the very back was the last train of the night! It is so amazing at night with all that air time! The first drop is, well words can't explain it. Now I was kinda dissapointed that the MCBR was actaly pretty strong, but it didn't bother me much. I saw TostNJelly and popwar in line. They were directly behind me. All in all, the ride is amazing especally that first drop!