Diamondback First Thoughts and Impressions?!

tigellinus

It slams your stomach into your spine as it dives with eye-watering speeds down every drop, and at the top of every hill you literally float up completely out of your seat for like 3 straight seconds. It really pulls you through the hammerhead and helix too. I too did not staple myself. The ejector/floater air on every hill was spectacular. I love how it would throw you out of your seat and then you just hover there. AMAZING.

I have to say my favorite seat is the very very back on the far outside (just don't do what I did, and put your arm all the way back directly over the water scoop as the train enters the splashdown.. my arm was dripping wet and I was wringing water out of my shirt sleeve! :lol: )

I agree about the splashdown. The animation does not do it justice. I got lucky enough to get a photo of it in the sunlight and it threw off a rainbow.

In closing: I'm sorry, Millie.

Yeah, my arm that was on the outside got quite wet too. I was going to see how wet I could get, but I was afraid the water coming up may be quite forceful and maybe do some damage, like give me a big bruise, or if my arm was bent and hit the right way, maybe even dislocate my shoulder.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During one of my rides in the back seat I was sitting on the left side and turned around to watch the splashdown and got sprayed in the face. It wasn't as much as I would get hurt or anything, just enough to get my head a little wet.

Exact same thing happened to me. I wanted to see the splash so I turned around and got nailed. I thought it was funny.

I thought the ride was pretty amazing... The second drop had my feet bent straight out. I was a bit dissapointed about the on ride photo location. It caught a bad look on my face both rides. I got my second ride at night and have to say it is one of the best night rides. Although The Beast family gives it a run for its money at night.

I am completely bummed about not getting a first rider shirt. I had to work and didn't get to the park till 5. I'm hoping to catch one on Ebay (any one have an extra :P ). I wanted one because it would go well on my wall along witht the poster I won at the winter blues party and the teaser sign I won at the KIC second coming.

I didn't get a t-shirt either. I got in line for the ERT, but tried the test seat and the guy said I wouldn't fit. So I walked over to the exit and sat. There I met gabelogan who also couldn't fit, sorry bud.

Later, when I met up with gigacoaster, violakat, PhantomTheater, pkiruler, and keiko_coaster, they forced me on. Kat reassured me the test seat was inaccurate. So I gave it a shot and fit with the help of Mr. Cory Butcher. Unfortunately, they had ran out of shirts by then.

I didn't get a t-shirt either. I got in line for the ERT, but tried the test seat and the guy said I wouldn't fit. So I walked over to the exit and sat. There I met gabelogan who also couldn't fit, sorry bud.

Later, when I met up with gigacoaster, violakat, PhantomTheater, pkiruler, and keiko_coaster, they forced me on. Kat reassured me the test seat was inaccurate. So I gave it a shot and fit with the help of Mr. Cory Butcher. Unfortunately, they had ran out of shirts by then.

The shirt doesn't matter ;) At least you got to ride it. I saw some poor soul take the walk of shame as my friend and I were about to board the train. I don't even know the guy, but I felt really sorry for him.

I also feel bad, and there was one that I witnessed that didn't even look big. Why he had to take the walk I don't know. Then again, on my last Diamondback ride, I was stapled...and yes I mean STAPLED into the seat. "I need one more click from you." - NO! BTW - I never have trouble fitting into coasters. I personally think the operator saw that I had a little room in between my lap and the lap bar and decided to be a...ahem...nice little ride operator doing his job correctly.

Flyer, who wants to fly, not be stapled.

After taking some night rides last night I can add that with the trim barely grabbing, the 5th hill was producing some killer air!! Same with the 6th drop when the MCBR barely slowed.

However, I think the trim is going to be mostly used, but I hope its night use can be limited at the least.

Also, I figured out why Behemoth's hammerhead is so d*mn good!...it comes after the 2nd hill! But I still can't get over how much I'm digging the 3rd hill. :D

And with each ride I like D-back more and more...its best attribute is the layout for sure. With all the interaction from the midway, Crypt and on-looker's, the seclusion of flying around back in the woods, and then the finale of diving straight into the Splashdown; it has one of the sexiest layouts of any coaster!!

After taking some night rides last night I can add that with the trim barely grabbing, the 5th hill was producing some killer air!! Same with the 6th drop when the MCBR barely slowed.

However, I think the trim is going to be mostly used, but I hope its night use can be limited at the least.

I have no doubt that both will be mostly, or always, used. See my signature for my opinion.

I ended up riding Diamondback 3 times yesterday. I rode in row 4 with my dad the first ride, row 11 on my second ride with my mom, and row 3 on my last ride with my girlfriend. From the moment I entered the line for Diamondback to the time I got off I had a VERY big smile on my face. The first ride was awesome, it gave excellent airtime, speed, and a smooth and comfortable ride and the other two rides were no different.

I now think in my opinion that Diamondback is the best ride in the park, even better than Beast and Drop Tower, and especially with the first drop more thrilling. I was glad when I saw Don Helbig and Greg Scheid in the station that literally everybody getting off the ride looked at them and said "good ride gentlemen" "fantastic ride" things like that. Its comments like that that make the park very, very happy and I could see both smile from all of the comments given to them.

Also not only do I think its the best ride in the park, my dad does also. My dad started coming to the park at the age of 15 when The Beast first opened in 1979. He has loved The Beast ever since then and now, especially '07 and '08 that is all he would ride at the park because he liked it so much. When we hit the final brakes of Diamondback on our first ride he was shaking his arm and yelling "awesome ride!" and it really put an even bigger smile on my face. He ended up riding Diamondback 4 times yesterday and didn't ride The Beast at all and said that Diamondback is now his new favorite ride at Kings Island.

After a certain amount of coaxing by some very persuasive people here, I got in line despite not being able to fit in the test seat. Well, it was worth it. We waited 48 minutes. I got on and still couldn't really fit. Luckily, my friend Cory Butcher was there to give me push. (Thanks, Cory.)

The ride was absolutely incredible! I'm thrilled to have it in KI.

It was nice seeing you Chase, it had been a while! I am glad you enjoyed your ride! Diamondback truly is a wonderful experience.

I had an interesting experience with the lap bar. The first time I rode (during the auction rides) I sat in the last car, first middle seat (is that 8-2 or 13-1?). Anyway, the attendant had to physically push down on the lap bar to get it to lock and I was in tight. There was no air on the ride and I was hugely disappointed.

The second time, I sat in the second car, second middle seat (2-3 or 3-2) and there was plenty of space after the bar locked and I got huge air and really loved the ride.

Are there specific seats for larger theighs or perhaps I was just sitting differently the second time?

I wanted to add that both times the safety indicator line (or whatever it's called) was at the same place - just visable.

So unfortunately I wasn't able to be there Saturday as I had to work 7am - 7pm. (I'm a RN) But I so can't wait to ride this beauty!!! Couple of questions ---- I'm going to be taking my daughter here in the next couple of weeks with a couple of friends; when you guys say they assign your seats do they actually tell you what seats to sit in meaning I'll be seperated by my daughter if I'm riding with her? And also some of you rode it 2 and 3 times Sat. did you spend your whole day in line or did you get ride other things? How long was the actual wait (I have an impatient girl) 1 - 2 hours I think I can handle!! Has anyone posted their on-ride photos? Sorry for all of the questons; I'm just bummed I couldn't be there on opening day.

Maria

My first ride i waited from the effiel tower. 90 minutes. My 2nd ride I waited 1 hour from the blue ice cream shop. Line is about the fastest moving line I have seen. They assign you seats but you can go where you want anyway. I rode the front seat waiting only 1 extra train. They told me to go to row 8 but we just moved to the front row.

FANTASTIC! Best airtime on a coaster ever!

I only had to wait 45 minutes both times I rode it. We ran straight to it and found a line all the way back to The Beast. A park official said like 6 hours....it was three at most. But we decided to skip it anyway. When we came back the line was just barely past the entrance, the attendant said 1.5 hours but it was only 45 minutes. I also got soaked on that splashdown. The first time I was place in the very back and the wind was blowing just the right way and I got drenched. Also, the trims and MCBR were fantastic. The trim was barely noticeable and the drop after that MCBR was amazing due to the fact that it barely slowed the train.

But one of my favorite parts has to be the layout. The way it goes out into the woods all secluded and then comes back to the midway with all the guests watching and then that spectacular splashdown all made for an amaing ride. Diamondback is one of my favorite coasters if not number 1.

But, on a side note, the park was excellent. There werent really that many people there...my longest wait was an hour and a half for Firehawk. I only saw one person smoking out of place, and when I reported a group of girls screaming and cussing and bumping into people and even punching random guests, park employees acted quickly to remove them, (Especially after one of the girls flipped off the bar and smacked her face on the ground and proceeded to remove the blood with her dirty sock due to the fact that she wasn't wearing shoes.)