Diamondback: Yes? No?

Beast1979

It was a nice ride and I enjoyed it very much!! The capacity was incredible and as I have said in other threads, it is a fabulous addition to the park!! But, did it live up to the hype? I don't think so.... It was hyped using terms like "the meanest," "dangerous" (curves ahead), and other similar phrases. IMO, it is not "mean" or "dangerous"at all. To the contrary, I found it to be VERY pleasant!!!

In my opinion, SoB still holds the title of "the meanesst coaster ever to strike Kings Island."

But overall, I enjoyed my first DB ride and had a wonderful opening day with my kids, so, right now, all is good in the world!!!

I was in the third car back and coming down into the helix before the midcourse brake, I was out of my seat for what seemed like 3-5 seconds. I loved the ride, the first drop stole the show for me. Very deceiving until you're on it.

I was in the third car back and coming down into the helix before the midcourse brake, I was out of my seat for what seemed like 3-5 seconds. I loved the ride, the first drop stole the show for me. Very deceiving until you're on it.

Agreed with that entire post. The first drop didn't look like it was going to be "that" tall at the end of last year, so that was a very pleasant surprise. The hill after the hammerhead is great in the back, even with that trim, and I got the most forceful floater air there (aside from the first hill).

I couldn't help but wonder if this is better than Behemoth, and I don't think it is. It may take a first row ride to change my mind about that, as I keep seeing reports the front car is the best. Behemoth simply has a better first half IMO because all of the hills come back to back and give you the air to match in a quick hitting fashion. Having said that, Diamondback is a great addition, it's a top 5 coaster, and I look forward to getting some more rides on it.

I for one was fairly dissapointed with Diamondback. After all the hype and notice it's recieved around the country it certainly isn't all it was craked up to be. In comparison to say Goliath at SFOG it can't even begin to compete. It's still a great addition to KI but i really have a hard time seeing it making it on any repected top 10 list I would say it's certainly the second best ride in the park but Beast is still king and Diamondback can slither right back into its den when it comes to being a top rated steel coaster :(

I for one was fairly dissapointed with Diamondback. After all the hype and notice it's recieved around the country it certainly isn't all it was craked up to be. In comparison to say Goliath at SFOG it can't even begin to compete. It's still a great addition to KI but i really have a hard time seeing it making it on any repected top 10 list I would say it's certainly the second best ride in the park but Beast is still king and Diamondback can slither right back into its den when it comes to being a top rated steel coaster :(

Can you provide a reason as to why you think that? Because quite frankly if you think that, I'm conserned for you.....

Am I crazy? Or am I the only person who thought it was a little bumpy?

I can see where you're coming from. It definitely had a slight vibration or something through it which I hadn't felt before on other new B&M's, but it's still the smoothest coaster in the park.

IMO, it is as smooth as any ride in Nick U.

I rode 5 times, I got the same seat (8) three of the times. It wasn't too great there, I was disapointed but it was still the best coaster at KI. My last two rides on Diamondback were in the back and it was amazing. The airtime is great, and I love looking backwards during the splashdown and the rooster trail hitting you in the face even though it kind of hurts if your eyes are open cause of the chlorine.

I've ridden Goliath, and absolutely loved it. But where Goliath has an abundance of floater air, Diamondback is ejector air. My first ride was in the front and it was ok. But once I got my ride in the back row and got pulled up out of my seat on every drop (even though I was pretty stapled into the seat), it quickly moved up my list. I managed to get 8 rides in all yesterday, including 2 at night, and all I can say is AMAZING. It not only lived up to the hype, but exceeded it!

Can you provide a reason as to why you think that? Because quite frankly if you think that, I'm conserned for you.....

Sure I can give you a few reasons. First of all the air is ok but your defiantly not floating the entire ride as on other B&M hypers I've been on such as Goliath. Second the ride lacks a true helix, the spiral into the midcoarse is pretty decent but not tight enough to be considered a real helix and the last helix is a joke. Lastly the braking climbing the hill coming out of the hammerhead really kills a lot of the momentum the ride had up to that point and though the mid-coarse isn't to bad as far as breaking goes the ride post it is fairly tame. I've rode the ride 6 times now from nearly every spot on the train and nothing has changed my mind it simply doesn't quite make it to my amazing coaster list. It's a good ride(like I said probably second best in the park) but its not great either and as far as hype goes this was expected to be the best coaster to open this year and after riding it I'd put my money on either Manta or Prowler taking top honors in best new coaster category.

I've ridden Goliath, and absolutely loved it. But where Goliath has an abundance of floater air, Diamondback is ejector air. My first ride was in the front and it was ok. But once I got my ride in the back row and got pulled up out of my seat on every drop (even though I was pretty stapled into the seat), it quickly moved up my list. I managed to get 8 rides in all yesterday, including 2 at night, and all I can say is AMAZING. It not only lived up to the hype, but exceeded it!

I must like floater air then because I could barely feel that kind of air at all. As far as ejector air goes I would argue that Diamondback in no way shap or form has ejector air but maybe I need a few more rides. However somehow I feel my opinion has been solidified after 6 rides, though I haven't rode it with shorts on yet so that my change my mind but we'll see.

Edit: The Hammerhead was also pretty weak in my opinion, just don't feel many forces within it.

Night rides on Diamondback are pretty good. Not quite as good as The Beast, but still good. Its amazing how dark the first drop is considering it drops right over the midway! There are lights on the mid course brake run that illuminate the area back there, but it is still a nice night ride. Going above and below the tree lines on every drop is a nice experience as you get to see all the lights of the park and surrounding buildings at night appear and disappear.