The one thing I don't like about Diamondback

raptor

Not that I don't have confidence in the lap bar, but i would feel better if there was a belt buckled to the bar in case of a malfunction. Hard for me to believe that you need seat belts on The Racer as a secondary precaution but not some kind of belt on DB, Though I would prefer a belt on the lap bar not around me.

In this day and age, if you meet the height requirements and are seated properly, you need no restraint at all (Unless there is an accident of some sort)! DB, like all present day coasters, is engineered and designed so that is not capable of generating forces that are sufficient to eject a rider from the train.

I don't think air time would be affected at all, I'm not talking about a seat belt around our waist, just one on the from the top of the bar to the back or side of the car, that way should the bar malfunction and want to fly open the belt would pretty much hold it down.

I, for one, wish there were no seatbelts on any coaster in the park. Yes, all! I'm glad that there are no seatbelts and that ops don't have to waste time to check an unneeded extra restraint. If people meet the requirements to ride, they should have just a little bit of responsibility in case a problem with the restraint occurs.

Flyer, who will build a coaster with force one day, and will not need a seatbelt to survive.

PS. What's next? Wanting the trim to do more than it does?

• Like 1

I like it without seat belts. How many of you have had a restraint come open on a ride. I have been riding for 18 years now and not once did it come loose. Its just a stupid common fear people have.

I do dislike how you really can't feel the postive G's on the ride but the negavite G's are much more fun can you def. can feel those.

• Like 1

I haven't ridden DB yet but I will agree, having a secondary restraint failsafe mechanism would be a good idea, at least for me personally. IIRC Vortex and Delirium both have a "seat belt" which would prevent the restraint from opening in case of a failure. What's wrong with that? I personally would feel much safer. The car you rode to KI in probably has both seat belts and air bags, right?

For what it's worth, I hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering... and even if you could convince me that the lapbar/restraint is failsafe, I would still feel safer with something visibly ensuring that it will not fly open - but then again I have utmost respect for the potential energy involved in being 200+ feet off the ground ;)

• Like 1

exactly, you should always have a backup in the name of safety, one might fail, but they won't both fail at the same time. Having said all this though I think it probably it safe, it won't keep me from riding, but I won't feel as safe as I would if they had the belt.

You complained that they added the belts to The Racer and the other rides and now they dont have a belt on Diamondback you complain. If you would knew about the train desgin it actually has two locking devices to keep the lapbar secure. I doubt there will ever been a failure and if the engineers thought there was a remote possiblity of one they would have put the seat belts there.

I, for one, wish there were no seatbelts on any coaster in the park. Yes, all! I'm glad that there are no seatbelts and that ops don't have to waste time to check an unneeded extra restraint. If people meet the requirements to ride, they should have just a little bit of responsibility in case a problem with the restraint occurs.

Flyer, who will build a coaster with force one day, and will not need a seatbelt to survive.

PS. What's next? Wanting the trim to do more than it does?

I agree especially on Adventure Express...i dont know how many people fought me over the seatbelt and me trying to check it to make sure it is secure this past weekend...too many to count...

In this day and age, if you meet the height requirements and are seated properly, you need no restraint at all (Unless there is an accident of some sort)! DB, like all present day coasters, is engineered and designed so that is not capable of generating forces that are sufficient to eject a rider from the train.

(Insert game show fail sound)

You clearly have not ridden DB or Magnum at CP in the front car of the train. You are literally thrown against the restraints, it seems like more than enough negative G forces to eject you from the ride.

You complained that they added the belts to The Racer and the other rides and now they dont have a belt on Diamondback you complain. If you would knew about the train desgin it actually has two locking devices to keep the lapbar secure. I doubt there will ever been a failure and if the engineers thought there was a remote possiblity of one they would have put the seat belts there.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I love the fact that there aren't any seat belts. It makes my job easier, it makes the line move faster, and it makes the ride more enjoyable.

Exactly. I'm sure state and federal laws require a back-up restraining mechanism in case the first mechanism fails. In the case of Racer, if the lap bar fails, the safety belt will still hold you in. On Diamondback, I'm sure there is both a programmed restraining mechanism, as well as an emergency back-up for those lap bars.

I don't want to speak for the original poster, but I think for some people (myself included) it has something to do with the perception of safety, on a subconscious level. "Seeing is believing". If you see that the restraint has a belt buckle on it, you know that there is something keeping it shut if the primary mechanism fails. I can't see inside that lapbar mechanism. It is human nature for some people when it comes to such things.

(for this same reason, I find myself checking for loosened fasteners on Flight Deck's train carriage by looking for index marks that don't line up :rolleyes: )

I never complained about the seatbelt on The Racer, I'm simply stated that if it is necessary on The Racer (a coaster that could have no restraint and you'd probably be safe), then how is it not necessary on DB. The fact is although I don't think it is necessary on The Racer, i'm more than happy to put it on.

That is completely false.

The restraint safety mechanism B&M uses for the majority of its new coasters have several fail-safes. These fail-safes are obviously not visible to riders, but are there within the inner mechanics of the lapbar system. While they aren't visible, they serve the same purpose as having a seatbelt.

I definitely agree with the idea that not having a seatbelt gives the rider the perceived feeling of not being 100% safe. Even though I know specific inner workings and design of the lapbar, not seeing that seatbelt makes my mind think, "But what IF....." It definitely adds another element of thrill to the ride IMO. ;)

When Nitro opened, there were small cable restraints that fastened into the lapbar onto the side of each seat. They were soon removed. They caused far more injuries than the zero they prevented. And guests cared not a whit when they were removed.

As has been stated, there are secondary restraints on the lapbar system.