Thrill Biscuit's Small Opening Day PTR

Thrill_Biscuit

I'll keep it short, because there's one main point I wanted to make about my experience on Opening Day: Don't get me wrong, I like all kinds of music, when it's in the right place...however, the music blasting through the park on opening day was uninspiring, inappropriate, and almost insultingly lacking in diversity! As we were walking through the Golden-Ticket-Award Winning Nickelodeon Universe, the very sad, psychodramatic "Hey You" by Pink Floyd was blaring over the speakers (this is a song containing a line about worms eating into the protagonist's brain)!!! :angry: Not only was this out of place in a kids' area, but it really takes away from the entire Kings Island experience. The loud, way-outdated hard rock was everywhere, and some of the selections were downright annoying, in my humble opinion! The Royal Fountains used to be awe-inspiring when the right music was playing. I kid you not, as I left the park, "Finding My Way" by Rush was playing so loud that the speakers were overmodulating, and the song features the lead singer at his screachiest! Man, I hope they bring back area-appropriate music again soon!

:)Enough ranting. On with the quick PTR:

Gina and I enjoyed our 4 hour wait in line, and even made a couple of friends. The splashdown never got old to watch, and made the wait bearable.

GetALoadofThis.jpg

By the time we got to the base of "Mt. Helbig," we got this now-familiar perspective of the ride to come:

DBSkywardWithPeople.jpg

Finally, someone has designed a coaster that lets me fear roller coasters again! The first drop looks like the track is missing for about 2 seconds! The acceleration is smooth, fast and stomach-squeezing! The second hill will be as legendary as Beast's Double Helix. The turn-around is a wow. The MCBR is unnoticable! The final helix is roller coaster perfection, with just the right approach into the splashdown! Loud applause at the end! This is an excellent addition to KI!

I spent Opening Day Eve painting this shirt (I forgot to add KIC to it, but I will before my next visit):

EricsTBShirt.jpg

...and we met KIC member AngryBeaver, who pointed out FF EKU dawg 4 life and others, who were at Coney Mall. I didn't meet many others, but hope to perhaps see other KIC members throughout the summer. Some other quick observations:

Gina thought The Vortex sounded too squeaky (new paint) so we didn't ride it.

We rode The Beast, and I don't know what they did over the off-season, but that coaster books! I don't know if they took away some brakes or what, but man, that was my best Beast ride ever!!

Other rides: Delirium (showing its age, but still fun as ever!); AE, Monster, SR&R, BLSC, Eiffel Tower. We had our traditional Blue Ice Cream, then later Fresh Cut Fries, and then much later LaRosa's. It was a great trip on account of Diamondback, but the music took a lot away from the experience.

I was totally digging the Pink Floyd (they played Comfortably Numb when we were in Action Zone), but yeah, you're right, that isn't the right style of music for a kiddie area. They should have area-appropriate music rather than the same music park wide.

Am I the only one who thought the music on I-street was WAY too loud? You had to yell to be heard over it.

Agree about the music. I know this isn't Disney where theme is so meticulously kept but they should at least fix the music. They should have bluegrass in Rivertown, Rock in Action Zone, Polka in Oktoberfest, kinda spooky and atmospheric music in X-Base, majestic movie soundtrack music at I-Street, kid appropriate rock in Nick U and, I don't know, either more rock or Sousa marches in Coney Mall.

The padding on the restraints is weathered, like a Nerf football that has been left out in the elements for a couple of years.

Ahhh...but aren't they replacing all the restraints one-by-one?

I actually thought Invertigo was really starting to look bad myself, and this from someone who still thought it was ok last year, but it's becoming undeniable now...