Upcoming Coney Mall Addition?

Guest TombraiderTy

Guest TombraiderTy

The back of Coney Mall is often considered a ghost-town by many, sporting a variety of abandoned structures and minor attractions. During the 2008 season, guests would find (left to right) a small arcade, a closed food stand, Flight Commander's former queue, Launch Pad, the closed Laser Dome, and restrooms. The area receives some attention, thanks to Action Theater and Vortex, but it has nothing else to attract its guests. Could that soon change?

Flight Commander closed in 1995, but the poles from its queue have remained in place since. Up until 2008, all the poles were still present, stretching beneath the shelter. By opening day of this year, however, they were all gone.

Here is a look at the queue in late 2006:

l_5cca61e809f43eed1c0451038d48e2b7.jpg

And here's the same angle on April 18, 2009:

IMG_2658.jpg

Another section of the abandoned queue in 2006:

l_29800355de16aadbefa9a2b8177e8376.jpg

And the same angle, again on April 18, 2009:

IMG_2659.jpg

Something interesting to note in the above photo is the trash can with the newer Cedar Fair stickers. There are several other trash cans in the picture, too. Cleaning up demolition debris?

Possible reasons for the rails removal:

-The closed food-stand next door will soon reopen and the former waiting queue will be transformed into a seating area for park guests

-The removal of the rails is only the first step in fully removing the waiting line. Reasons for a full removal may be unsafe structure, room for expansion, or a new addition

-They were recycled for Diamondback's queue :P

Nearby, past the Launch Pad attraction, is a new spot of cleared land:

IMG_2701.jpg

This is where the Laser Dome formerly stood. Based off the webcam, it appears as if it was removed in the winter months of 2009 or earlier.

Possible reasons for its removal:

-Rid the area of an eyesore

-Unsafe structure

-Future expansion

Flight Commander's former waiting queue and the new spot of cleared land are only seperated by Launch Pad, which is elevated on a large platform. Launch Pad is a minor upcharge attraction, often disliked by park enthuasists. Could we soon be seeing it removed too, opening up a long strip of land at the end of Coney Mall?

If this is the case, we could see a new addition in 2010 or sooner.

Possible new additions include:

-New Haunt attraction

-Restaurant (closest one is Jukebox Diner)

-Gift shop (closest one is Attitudes)

-Flat ride (Ferris Wheel, ect.)

-Roller Coaster (El Loco, ect.)

-New midway games

-Start of pathway that connects to X-Base

-No new addition, just some new empty space

Thoughts on what may soon become of this area?

What would the purpose of an x-base pathway be? It really wouldn't save guests traveling between the two areas that much time plus it would be bizarre to have such a long stretch of essentially empty path. I think a "new" flat from GL is more likely (there are still some left aren't there?)

considering that we got new coasters in 05, 07, and now 09, i doubt we will see a new coaster in the next 5 years, if anything i would love a brand new thrill ride, never made anywhere before, or if they could bring back the skyride,that would be awesome. I love skyrides!!!

Guest TombraiderTy
considering that we got new coasters in 05, 07, and now 09, i doubt we will see a new coaster in the next 5 years, if anything i would love a brand new thrill ride, never made anywhere before, or if they could bring back the skyride,that would be awesome. I love skyrides!!!

I believe we'll get at least one new, if not more, coasters by 2014. Kings Island added coasters every year between 1991 and 1993, and again between 1998 and 2001.

The point of a new path to X-Base is for the expansion of X-Base. At the moment, Firehawk has caused a dead end, but a slight altering of the pathway would fix this problem and add more space for the park to build on.

I also agree that the Island most likely will not receive much of an addition coaster-wise until atleast 2012.

Five years is a REALLY long time.

Guest TombraiderTy
I wanted the Americana Ferris wheel to go in that location, so another one could fit there just as easily. That's my hope for that area!

Same here, that location was perfect for it. Perhaps we'll see a new Ferris Wheel placed there instead, however.

I wanted the Americana Ferris wheel to go in that location, so another one could fit there just as easily. That's my hope for that area!

Same here, that location was perfect for it. Perhaps we'll see a new Ferris Wheel placed there instead, however.

We can dream, anyway. And as far as I know there is no trim on the coaster of imagination!

Flyer, who finally got to make that statement!

Nearby, past the Launch Pad attraction, is a new spot of cleared land:

IMG_2701.jpg

If you look on google maps where this laser tag tent was...it looks like it could be a path that goes back behind The Racer and that could open a new section of the park because there is just a empty spot ride right behind The Racer covered with trees.

Guest TombraiderTy
Up until 2008, all the rails were still present...

My apologies, the rails were not present, only the poles that supported them:

l_5cca61e809f43eed1c0451038d48e2b7.jpg

Picture taken August 21, 2006.

And once again, here's the current queue:

IMG_2658.jpg

Guest TombraiderTy

Inside Coney Mall, look for the large yellow Launch Pad attraction. It is directly to the right of it, between Launch Pad and a closed food stand. You can easily view if from the pathway in front of this restaurant, which is open to the public. You can see the entrance to the queue to the right of the baseball pitch game, which is also between Launch Pad and the food stand.