kings dominion new coaster in development

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This ride has the weirdest track I've ever seen.. I can't wait to ride it when I go next year!

I agree. It Doesn't look like normal Intamin track. Wait, the rumor is its a giga, but is it an Intamin? I meen the track looks similar but not the same.

Someone on the KDFansite was wondering how long the shipping containers are that are holding some of the track pieces. Does someone on here have a guess?

Standard shipping containers are normally either 20' or 40' long.

http://www.shippingcontainers.com/newcontain.htm

That's what I thought, but the one at KD that I was looking at doesn't appear to be either.

Here is the photo I was using. The following is what I posted on KDFansite for the reasoning of my guess on the length

Well, considering the white truck is probably 6 feet tall, and it's 3 centimeters tall on my computer, that is 2 feet for every centimeter. The container is 14.5 centimeters long, putting it's length at 29 feet. But, to account for depth, I'd say the container is more than 35 feet long. Using the same method for the track, the track is about 25 to 28 feet long.

But, I thought the standard shipping container was 40 feet long, but there's no way that container is 40 feet.

But hey, what do I know?

But, I thought the standard shipping container was 40 feet long, but there's no way that container is 40 feet.

But hey, what do I know?

Looking at the size of the cab of the truck itself, it does look to me like a standard 40' Open Top (ISO Code 42 U1)

Specifically, it looks like a Hapag-lloyd Container - Orange Structure, Blue top

http://www.hapag-lloyd.com/downloads/press...fication_en.pdf

This ride has the weirdest track I've ever seen.. I can't wait to ride it when I go next year!

I agree. It Doesn't look like normal Intamin track. Wait, the rumor is its a giga, but is it an Intamin? I meen the track looks similar but not the same.

In a previous pic on this thread it said it was an Intamin Giga.

Here is the pic

giga_____428.jpg

But hey, what do I know?

Looking at the size of the cab of the truck itself, it does look to me like a standard 40' Open Top (ISO Code 42 U1)

Specifically, it looks like a Hapag-lloyd Container - Orange Structure, Blue top

http://www.hapag-lloyd.com/downloads/press...fication_en.pdf

Yeah. I started looking at it more, and then thinking about the height of a normal container, and then I did more math, it was starting to seem like a 40 foot container.

And yes, it is a Hapag Lloyd.

In a previous pic on this thread it said it was an Intamin Giga.

Here is the pic

giga_____428.jpg

Sorry. I didn't see that earlier.

I'm wondering what the price for this new coaster would be? $25 million to build Millennium Force and I can imagine this one won't be any cheaper. I understand CF needs to build new coasters occassionally at these newly acquired parks, but with their current debt situation, I'm kind of bewildered by this kind of investment at one park. And I just checked RCDB and it says 22 million for Diamondback. I hope these guys know what they're doing. If not, the next owners could have a nice coaster lineup already in place.

There was something I read in the KDFansite official coaster thread (it was and email or something; I have no link to that particular post as it was a few weeks ago) that it would cost between $30 million and $35 million. And yes, I'm sure they know what they're doing...hopefully...

I hope these guys know what they're doing. If not, the next owners could have a nice coaster lineup already in place.

And yes, I'm sure they know what they're doing...hopefully...

The reality is that the do know what they are doing. They are following a strategy that is carefully thought out and that they believe will result in improved results for themselves and the CF unit holders. It has worked for them in the past and they believe it will continue to work.

The problem is that so many things have changed - the economic situation and its impact on customers, the availability/ability to refinance debt, the overall size of CF, and much more. Whether the strategy is going to work out long term is undefined.

Yes. I also found our BLSC, a WWC, our Crypt, The Beast, our Drop Tower, and others.

And here's the description for our Drop Tower:

At 315 feet tall, Drop Tower is the world’s tallest gyro drop. DROP ZONE spins riders on a 30-foot ring of 40 seats that encircles the Drop Tower to a height of more than 26 stories, and then drops guests in a 67 mph free-fall.

:rolleyes:

Edit: They also still have Shool of Rock on the website. :rolleyes:

It's probably a placeholder page. I doubt that KD's new ride will be called Diamondback.

Edit: I also found this by changing the number at the end.

That can be done with any page on the former Paramount Parks sites.

http://www.kingsdominion.com/attractions/d...l.cfm?ai_id=156

Yeah. Someone originally did that on Carowinds Connection was having some fun and did that. Then they went into a long explanation about all of the former Paramount parks share the same central server, so when a website tries to get info, it just gets whatever is in the server. Apparently it can be done with almost every ride at the former Paramount parks.

At 315 feet tall, Drop Tower is the world’s tallest gyro drop. DROP ZONE spins riders on a 30-foot ring of 40 seats that encircles the Drop Tower to a height of more than 26 stories, and then drops guests in a 67 mph free-fall.

:rolleyes:

Premier Rides built several of these LIM catapult roller coasters from 1996 to 1999, yet only two—Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion and its counterpart at Paramount Kings Island—are indoors.

FAIL

I hope these guys know what they're doing. If not, the next owners could have a nice coaster lineup already in place.

And yes, I'm sure they know what they're doing...hopefully...

The reality is that the do know what they are doing. They are following a strategy that is carefully thought out and that they believe will result in improved results for themselves and the CF unit holders. It has worked for them in the past and they believe it will continue to work.

I would agree with that sentiment except that the old way it worked in the past seems to work no longer. "If you build it, they will come" just isn't working any more.