kings dominion new coaster in development

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they planning on having this ready for next summer? If it is tallest in world, it will be hard to get done by next summer.

Why would it be hard? They put together almost all new coasters in the off season. First of all it is not the tallest in the world. Second of all even if it is going to be a Giga Coaster it will not take an extra long time. It is just going to take a lot of work and good planning.

Are they planning on having this ready for next summer? If it is tallest in world, it will be hard to get done by next summer.

Why would it be hard? They put together almost all new coasters in the off season. First of all it is not the tallest in the world. Second of all even if it is going to be a Giga Coaster it will not take an extra long time. It is just going to take a lot of work and good planning.

Well, tallest giga i meant. I know Diamondback was built that quick, but his seems like a much bigger project at KD.

Well, tallest giga i meant. I know Diamondback was built that quick, but his seems like a much bigger project at KD.

Millennium Force opened in May which was probably when the park first opened to the public for that operating season. Millennium Force and the Kings Dominion coaster are very similar projects.

You also have to consider that Kings Dominion is open LONG before Cedar Point is open. However, I still don't think they'll have too many problems getting this thing up and running by opening day. One week till the announcement :)

^ That would be fantastic, if indeed it is true. I suppose we'll all know very shortly, although I do have to admit I'm very puzzled by why CF would announce this ride first. I would think they would want to build up the excitement leading up to this coaster, as this will way overshadow anything that Carowinds and Cedar Point will be putting up next year. A B&M hyper is nice, but compared to a giga that will most likely be MUCH higher and faster I can't imagine who will be talking about anything other than KD's project after it's announced.

http://www.carowindsconnection.com/viewtop...2&start=450

DOSWELL, VA – On August 20, 2009, Kings Dominion will hold a press conference to announce the largest capital investment in the park’s 35-year history. The event will take place at the Grand Bandstand on International Street at 11:00am.

Guests on hand for the announcement include Virginia Lieutenant Governor Bill Bolling, Regional Vice President of Cedar Fair Richard Zimmerman, General Manager of KD Pat Jones and most interestingly, Jeff Steiner and Taylor Earnhardt of Dale Earnhardt Inc.

As there is a major NASCAR track in Richmond, VA, there is speculation that this will be a NASCAR-themed roller coaster.

(from TPR and then posted on CC).

Kings Dominion’s Largest Capital Investment in its 35-Year History - Announcement Event

WHAT:

Kings Dominion will host a press conference event to announce 2010 capital investment plans. This project is Kings Dominion’s largest capital investment in its 35-Year history.

Special guests:

(Guest list subject to change without notice)

Honorable Bill Bolling

Lieutenant Governor

Commonwealth of Virginia

Richard Zimmerman

Regional Vice President

Cedar Fair Entertainment Co.

Pat Jones

Vice President and General Manager

Kings Dominion Amusement Park

Jeff Steiner

Executive Vice President and General Manager

Dale Earnhardt Inc.

Taylor Earnhardt

Roller Coaster Enthusiast Club Reps

WHEN:

August 20, 2009

11:00am

WHERE:

Kings Dominion

Grande Bandstand

Doswell, Virginia

Okay. Someone on KDFansite claims to have a 'source' and has been posting information from that source for a few weeks now. Well, they claim the new giga will have

height 350ft, drop 342ft at 82 degrees, 6794ft in length, 103mph

If that's true, it will be amazing!

I believe this just may have some truth to it as Screamscape has said there was a job listing where the applicant must be willing to climb 350 ft. As for the speed MF goes 93mph, does 50 ft. really add 10mph to a coasters speed?

Okay. Someone on KDFansite claims to have a 'source' and has been posting information from that source for a few weeks now. Well, they claim the new giga will have

That would be totally insane. Pure want!

YES!!!!! I can picture it now, bright red track, bright yellow supports, and the trains will be jet black with silver accents and red pinstriping... coaster name: Intimidator! Oh Im LOVIN this if it goes as I just described

That's a great name! And great colors!

I believe this just may have some truth to it as Screamscape has said there was a job listing where the applicant must be willing to climb 350 ft. As for the speed MF goes 93mph, does 50 ft. really add 10mph to a coasters speed?

I've heard MF really goes a lot faster than that in reality, especially when the track is warm. And I would say that's a reasonable estimate. MF is "93" mph with a 300' drop.. Dragster goes 120 mph with a 400' drop. So that speed and height seem to somewhat correllate.

Some photos of the announcement area at KD via CoasterCrew's Facebook Page:

6600_1099957424417_1391101425_30249405_2

6600_1099952704299_1391101425_30249399_6

6600_1099949024207_1391101425_30249388_2

6600_1099938343940_1391101425_30249354_3

Looks like the NASCAR and Dale Edenheart (sp?) theme is basically confirmed. I must point out that the "Biggest Baddest Meanest" logo in the second photo looks extremely similar to the Millennium Force "M" wave logo....