kings dominion new coaster in development

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I am perfectly fine with Diamondback being a B&M coaster. Diamondback`s layout looks like a lot more fun and airtime filled than what Intimidator 305`s will deliver. That being said, I can`t really judge that ride until I hopefully ride it in 2010.

Exactly, can't judge until we ride. With that said, typically, Intamin's surprise me with the places that provide airtime. I absolutely love Maverick with the mix of air and the quick turns. Another great example, the former Superman at SFNE has some extreme air in the most unexpected places. I think Intimidator has potential to be a huge surprise, of course it can also go the other way. For me, Diamondback is incredibly dull. I've ridden the front, the back, the middle, I just haven't had a ride that really impressed me. Wish it did, really, but the B&M Hyper's just don't do it for me....the only one that comes close is Goliath at SFoG.

- Todd

Yeah we kinda missed the show :( From kdfansite, it looks like the final piece went up just before 1:00 AM.

That thing is just... crazy, amazing and beautiful. I give Intamin kudos for their out of the box, innovative thinking. It's really been neat watching I305 go up and wondering how they we're going to do it.

I think it will be a spectacular ride. My only concern is those quick transitions from side to side. Think of Maverick's banging at 80+ MPH.

Have faith in the construction crew, they obviously are well aware of how to remove this support. On another note, here are some awesome pics that were taken last night during the topping off. Even though it was dark, still some amazing views from the top of Intimidator and gives an even better perspective of how high it really is....

http://www.kdfansite.com/gallery/displayim...m=97&pos=32

Dave, I'm assuming they got it done that night for several reason. They were expecting rain later and I imagine they wanted that hill completed as soon as possible because the arch is an integral part of the hill's structural integregity. Incomplete, they were relying on cranes and cables to hold it in place and carry the weight.

It's been said in many places that this design was an effort to cut down on the ammount of steel used and save money. The result is art and an engineering marvel.

While I think it is great that they got it topped off, my question is why was this done in the middle of the night?...

I believe they had a problem with a crane. Then, they got it fixed and put up a piece, so the crane had to support that. They didn't want a 300+ foot crane up in the air with rain and winds coming in, so they had to finish. I also think they wanted to get it done before stopping for Thanksgiving.

Dave, I'm assuming they got it done that night for several reason. They were expecting rain later and I imagine they wanted that hill completed as soon as possible because the arch is an integral part of the hill's structural integregity. Incomplete, they were relying on cranes and cables to hold it in place and carry the weight.

It's been said in many places that this design was an effort to cut down on the ammount of steel used and save money. The result is art and an engineering marvel.

I added to your explanation above.

• 2 weeks later...