kings dominion new coaster in development

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a complete circuit. The cable runs up the lift hill, comes straight down from the peak and runs through that groove back into the station where it attaches to it's other end. Millennium has the same thing but it runs in a metal trough about 10' above ground. I don;t have time to look for a p[ic right now, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

I can not even imagine the forces on some of those turns. I keep finding myself laughing, remembering all the complaining some were doing on other sites when I305 was announced. I see nothing to complain about and wonder if Millie is about to have her hat handed to her.

I was thinking exactly that same thing when I was watching the video of the jobsite yesterday. I dont think the smack talkers truly had a clue by looking at the rendering or animation of just how many positive Gs this ride is going to pull in the first corner off the drop, or in many of the subsquent turns throughout the ride. The ONLY thing I see wrong with it is the less than stellar reliability record/large downtime that plagues INTAMIN> We can only hope that much was learned from MF*, enough to keep those issues to a minimum.

*for the flamers... I am in no way saying MF is or was a bad ride, its my #1 steel. What I am saying is, since I305 is not a prototype, I/we can hope it runs as close to flawless as DB did on Her first day.

Well, that kinda sucks cuz I was expecting epic ejector air on that hill but... My biggest concern for I305 was the tight turns and rolls from side to side throwing you around too much. Then again, that was my biggest complaint about Maverick and now that I know how to ride it (like a motorcylce in a turn), it's never a shoulder/head banger.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Kings Dominion's 305-foot tall Steel Giga-Coaster Stands Tall and America's Top Dog, Snoopy, has arrived in Doswell

Intimidator 305's last piece of steel erected, while Snoopy and the PEANUTS Gang settle into their new Home at Kings Dominion, Planet Snoopy

DOSWELL, Va., Jan. 18 /PRNewswire/ -- The most exciting ride in Kings Dominion's 35-year history is standing tall as the last piece of track was lifted into place Jan. 9, 2010. Intimidatorâ„¢305 is a mammoth 5,100-foot long steel Giga-coaster, that takes its name from one of stock car racing's most beloved and tenacious drivers, Dale Earnhardt, "The Intimidatorâ„¢" along with the height of the coaster's lift hill, 305 feet.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.c...0100118/CL39217 )

Intimidatorâ„¢305, only the second Giga-coaster ever built in North America, will be the tallest and fastest roller coaster of its type on the East Coast. The lift hill will stand a towering 305 feet at its highest peak, close to the height of the park's signature Eiffel Tower, and will descend 300 feet at an 85 degree-angle and thunder along the track at speeds in excess of 92 miles per hour during its three-minute race to the finish. The trains, fashioned after Dale Earnhardt's signature black car, will roar through six airtime humps plus three high-speed turns and have guests screaming for another lap around the track. For more information, statistics, virtual animations, construction photos, blogs, live webcam and much more on Intimidatorâ„¢305, please visit www.intimidator305.com. Intimidatorâ„¢305 is scheduled to open with the park on April 2, 2010.

In addition to Intimidatorâ„¢305,America's Top Dog, Snoopy, has arrived at Kings Dominion! Snoopy, along with Charlie Brown, Woodstock and the entire PEANUTS Gang are settling into their new home, Planet Snoopy (formerly known as Nickelodeon Central/Hanna Barbara).

Kings Dominion's guests can enjoy over 60 rides, slides and attraction all season long with a Kings Dominion Season Pass. Season Passes include entrance into the Kings Dominion, access to Intimidatorâ„¢305 and 14 other amazing roller coasters, WaterWorks, a 20-acre waterpark, and Haunt, the Mid-Atlantic's largest Halloween themed event.

Kings Dominion will open in 2010 daily for spring break week on Friday, April 2 through Sunday, April 11 and weekends April 17 through Monday May 24. Daily operation begins Friday, June 4. WaterWorks Waterpark opens Saturday, May 29.

Kings Dominion is a 400-acre amusement park and waterpark, that is home to over 60 total rides, slides, live shows and attractions. The park features one of the largest roller coaster collections on the East-Coast, with 15 World-Class scream-machines, large children's area, and WaterWorks, a 20-acre water playground. Kings Dominion is located at exit 98 on I-95, north of Richmond. For more information about Kings Dominion and complete operating hours, please visit www.KingsDominion.com.

Kings Dominion is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to Kings Dominion, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six waterparks, one indoor waterpark resort, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

SOURCE: Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, Kings Dominion, 16000 Theme Park Way, P. O. Box 2000, Doswell, VA 23047

RELATED LINKS

http://www.kingsdominion.com

http://www.prnewswir...l-81971202.html

I305 is just massive and the track layout looks even more intense than the renderings show. Like I said in the begining this thing looks like Mega Lite on Steroids and is very reminiscient of Piraten. I for one am glad to see the trim, the speed from the first hill needs to be burned off somehow before all the twisty goodness.

I305 is just massive and the track layout looks even more intense than the renderings show. Like I said in the begining this thing looks like Mega Lite on Steroids and is very reminiscient of Piraten. I for one am glad to see the trim, the speed from the first hill needs to be burned off somehow before all the twisty goodness.

I agree, I am actually quite excited about I305. As a huge fan of Maverick and its quick transitions and abrupt moments of ejector air, I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. One note though, that trim is actually quite close to the END of the ride. After that hill, its two quick turns and up into the brake run.....so the twisty goodness, as you referred to it, seems as though it will be taken at high speed :-)

- Todd