kings dominion new coaster in development

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kings Dominion is theoretically about an hour and half from Washington, DC. Remember, of course, that nothing is as close as it seems from DC, because rush hour is from 6am - midnight around the capitol. Also, every highway between DC and Richmond (the route to Kings Dominion) is being widened to create more HOV lanes.

Anyone planning a trip to Kings Dominion from Ohio should plan alternate routes around DC that add a theoretical hour (and therefore take just about as long as the route through DC). But for people who are already in Washington, I guess there's not much you can.

That being said, Kings Dominion is worth the traffic. Easily.

Isn`t DC to the north and east of Richmond, Virginia? So why would someone coming from Cincinnati travel through DC to get to Kings Dominion? Granted, that may be the case for someone coming from northern Ohio, but I doubt that is the case for someone coming from south western Ohio. I mean, take 52 to Huntington, WV and then pick up I-64 to Richmond and take I-95 north to Doswell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing has been confirmed, except John Pagel (sp?) said the restraints would not be like in the renderings, aka not like Maverick's

There is a picture of the test seat on a friends facebook page (which I can't make show up on KIC). It is basically a lap bar that pivots down from the headrest and has a seatbelt that attaches from the center of the lapbar to the seat between a riders legs. Nothing should interfere with the head or upper body.

Edit - although looking again at the Tornado restraints from an earlier post, it looks identical to the test seat, except with the shoulder straps. I'm guessing they are just not used on the test seat - the test seat even looks to have the "attachment points" for the straps.

23604_1231478598863_1586071825_30602228_2499578_n.jpg

intimidator-over-shoulder-straps.jpg

"So Screamscape has gotten to the bottom of the over-the-shoulder-restraint controversy. Early pictures and animations showed what everyone believed to be dreaded over-the-shoulder restraints. Lance called John Pagel from Kings Dominion and Pagel described the restraints as “over the shoulder straps”. Here’s a screen capture of the strap restraints on Intamin’s Tornado at Bakken. It’s a pretty new system so I can see why there was so much confusion. I don’t think these will be half as bad as real over the shoulder restraints. The main issue with those is of course the head banging. That doesn’t look possible with these straps. Lance also speculated a while back that using a different restraint system than Millennium Force’s lap bars may allow for more larger riders. No one likes to be turned away from a roller coaster. Especially after facing the insanely long waits Intimidator will likely have."

http://www.thecoastercritic.com/2009/08/intimidator-305-giga-coaster-coming-to-kings-dominion-in-2010.html

• 11 months later...