kings dominion new coaster in development

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said from the beginning, I'm going with an Intamin. KD is known for all it's Launched Coasters it's had (FoF, Volcano, IJST, Hypersonic, King Kobra) Since they only have 3 Left, maybe they would want to be the park with most Launched coasters? It's Currently tied with Knott's, and even though it's also a CF park, Maybe Cedar Fair wants to have all it's park have something special. Kings Island has most wooden track, Cedar Point has most coasters, Knott's is America's first theme park, Carowinds is the only park in two states, and maybe Kings Dominion will be the park with the most Launched Coasters?

Does the General Public care that Kings Dominion has the most launch coasters? Or would they? Just a question. I don't see very many people around saying "KI has the most wooden track! Isn't that cool?!" They might, but I don't see it happening.

For now I'll just say this. When was the last time Cedar Fair built an Intamin coaster in one of their non-Cedar Point parks?

Why does that matter, and whats wrong with doing something new?

Nothing, I'm just looking at the history of it. There could be a new Intamin, it could very well be one. I was just saying that if we were going by history, I would doubt it.

This will most likely be a giga,which explains why they went with intamin & not B&M for this project since B&M refuses to build above 230 ft.It does make sense seeing as the last two hypers CF built were both B&M's....I recall seeing some info in the zoning board documents stating that the exit ramp will be over water so the ride's station & lift may very well be located in that thin strip of cleared land next to anaconda's lift with the rest of the layout going on the other side of the trees next to the road.

Adding a giga makes sense because a steep lift can be placed in that limited amount of space(ala MF) with the first drop easily fitting into the remaining space withough habing to clear additional land.

B&M Doesn't Refuse to build over 230 feet. Also, if your looking at steep lifts and drops, look at Diamondback.

... Knott's is America's first theme park...

Holiday World would disagree with that....

http://themeparks.about.com/library/parks/...lidayworldb.htm

http://www.wegoplaces.com/Attraction_39649.aspx

And, see the first paragraph here under park history:

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/theme...yworld_in.shtml

Knott's opened in 1940, and Holiday World opened in 1946.

http://jay-vickyweddingsite.com/Knotts_ber...rm_entrance.jpg

Like I said from the beginning, I'm going with an Intamin. KD is known for all it's Launched Coasters it's had (FoF, Volcano, IJST, Hypersonic, King Kobra) Since they only have 3 Left, maybe they would want to be the park with most Launched coasters? It's Currently tied with Knott's, and even though it's also a CF park, Maybe Cedar Fair wants to have all it's park have something special. Kings Island has most wooden track, Cedar Point has most coasters, Knott's is America's first theme park, Carowinds is the only park in two states, and maybe Kings Dominion will be the park with the most Launched Coasters?

Does the General Public care that Kings Dominion has the most launch coasters? Or would they? Just a question. I don't see very many people around saying "KI has the most wooden track! Isn't that cool?!" They might, but I don't see it happening.

For now I'll just say this. When was the last time Cedar Fair built an Intamin coaster in one of their non-Cedar Point parks?

Nothing, I'm just looking at the history of it. There could be a new Intamin, it could very well be one. I was just saying that if we were going by history, I would doubt it.

This will most likely be a giga,which explains why they went with intamin & not B&M for this project since B&M refuses to build above 230 ft.It does make sense seeing as the last two hypers CF built were both B&M's....I recall seeing some info in the zoning board documents stating that the exit ramp will be over water so the ride's station & lift may very well be located in that thin strip of cleared land next to anaconda's lift with the rest of the layout going on the other side of the trees next to the road.

Adding a giga makes sense because a steep lift can be placed in that limited amount of space(ala MF) with the first drop easily fitting into the remaining space withough habing to clear additional land.

B&M Doesn't Refuse to build over 230 feet. Also, if your looking at steep lifts and drops, look at Diamondback.

This ride will probably use a cable lift system,which so far only intamin uses.

This ride will probably use a cable lift system,which so far only intamin uses.

How are you 100% sure it will use a cable lift.. We don't even know for sure if its Intamin. Likely? yes. But we still arn't for shure.

... Knott's is America's first theme park...

Holiday World would disagree with that....

http://themeparks.about.com/library/parks/...lidayworldb.htm

http://www.wegoplaces.com/Attraction_39649.aspx

And, see the first paragraph here under park history:

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/theme...yworld_in.shtml

Knott's opened in 1940, and Holiday World opened in 1946.

http://jay-vickyweddingsite.com/Knotts_ber...rm_entrance.jpg

What about other smaller parks? Not sure if they would be considered a theme park at the time, but like Indiana Beach.

In 1926, Indiana Beach opened to the public.

I'm sorry, but your reasoning makes absolutely no sense. Why exactly do think that "this will most likely be a giga"? What evidence do you have to support that idea? Also, you say a giga makes sense because they can have a steep lift and a drop can fit in the remaining space? I guarentee you that Diamondback's lift can fit into a smaller space than a 300+ foot coaster's lift hill. Then you say they will probably use a cable lift system. What evidence do you have to support this? I'm not being pessimistic (sp?), but you are making an awful lot of assumptions.

yeah I read that too and its funny how after that came out everyone started screaming giga again(including me because quite franquly I love mf) and someone on KDFansite said they were stuck on a coaster for like 15 minutes and the ride opp said all they knew was it was going to be taller than Drop Tower, and another person(could be the same not sure) said

"ok just got back from the park. We made a stop by the supports for a closer look and there is hand writing on them. Serial numbers or ride location i have no idea but this is looking more like intamin. I must have asked 30 people employees today about it and no one had any idea what was going on. The guest relations manager did say: " I hope its as tall as they say its going to be".. Take that for what its worth but he was very hush hush about the project. The funny part was before he said anything he was looking around to see if anyone was around.. HAHA This must be some top secret stuff going on.. Or he was just screwing with me.

Up close though those supports are way too big for an ispeed type coaster. IMO of course'

coastercrew4life

everyone started screaming giga again(including me because quite franquly I love mf)

So do lots of people, but there has not been another coaster like it, not even at previously competing parks such as (insert Six Flags park here), let alone one of their other parks.

and the ride opp said all they knew was it was going to be taller than Drop Tower

Ohh, well, the ride opp said so, so it must be true. It just gets back to the ole' lemon chill guy.

The guest relations manager did say: " I hope its as tall as they say its going to be"..

HA. The Guest Relations Manager most likely knows, unless this is one of the most secretive projects in industry history, which I doubt. In fact, most park employees know or will know at one point. They are contracted to secrecy however, and can not say such things. I bet you he was just messing with you.

everyone started screaming giga again(including me because quite franquly I love mf)

So do lots of people, but there has not been another coaster like it, not even at previously competing parks such as (insert Six Flags park here), let alone one of their other parks.

and the ride opp said all they knew was it was going to be taller than Drop Tower

Ohh, well, the ride opp said so, so it must be true. It just gets back to the ole' lemon chill guy.

The guest relations manager did say: " I hope its as tall as they say its going to be"..

HA. The Guest Relations Manager most likely knows, unless this is one of the most secretive projects in industry history, which I doubt. In fact, most park employees know or will know at one point. They are contracted to secrecy however, and can not say such things. I bet you he was just messing with you.

If this is a smaller scale ride then why all the site preps & track/support deliveries this early?KD doesn't typically take delivery of coaster components in early june....nor have they ever started site clearing this early in the season.It's probably gonna be a giga & that means that CP will no longer be the only park with that type of ride in the US....not like they even care since the park has installed a bigger ride in the years since then & besides CF is impressed with KD's performance so that's another reason why a large investment like this makes sense for the park.

If this is a smaller scale ride then why all the site preps & track/support deliveries this early?KD doesn't typically take delivery of coaster components in early june....nor have they ever started site clearing this early in the season.It's probably gonna be a giga & that means that CP will no longer be the only park with that type of ride in the US....not like they even care since the park has installed a bigger ride in the years since then & besides CF is impressed with KD's performance so that's another reason why a large investment like this makes sense for the park.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with that statement. Prep-work for Diamondback began on October 11, 2007. That's a full one and a half years (and add a week and you've got the exact date) before Diamondback opened. I could see your reasoning working if the coaster didn't open until 2011 bcause that'd give them A LOT of time. But if the coaster opens in 2010, then that gives them less time than they had for Diamondback. Do you know when they started preping the site for KD?

So you're saying because they started site clearing in June, that it's a giga coaster? Come on... That doesn't mean anything. Site clearing for DB started before the park even opened for the year.

A photo update has been posted to kdfansite. that clearing goes pretty far back.......

and prep work started for Diamondback so early because of KIs winter climate, KD however has a very mild winter which usually provides good weather for construction

I call baloney. Kings Dominion does not have that substantial a weather difference with Kings Island.

A photo update has been posted to kdfansite. that clearing goes pretty far back.......

and prep work started for Diamondback so early because of KIs winter climate, KD however has a very mild winter which usually provides good weather for construction

I call baloney. Kings Dominion does not have that substantial a weather difference with Kings Island.

Unlike the mid-west KD's winter climate in central Va. is generally MUCH more forgiving for construction purposes.