Anyone else not allowed to ride Diamondback?

USArmy1985

My wife and I had been looking forward to opening day for weeks and after suffering the semi-long drive and really long line, I was turned away from riding it because "I wouldn't fit". I was more then mildly disappointed. First of all I fit in all the other rides and more importantly the kid that kicked me off made that comment in a "too fat" sort of way rather then simply wouldn't fit. I'm six foot five inches and rather stocky but I did see them cramming bigger(around) people then I into those seats and letting them ride.

Now of course I did try the seat they have at the start of the line and the person working it said I was fine. The seat was really snug and the bar felt secured in my lap.

I don't know, I just sort of felt like I was being rushed out of line simply to get more people through without a fair shake. I did talk to someone about it and they offered to take us to the front of the line but by that time I was already in a bit of an embarrassed state so I passed.

Reckon that's what season passes are for, I'll try again.

That sucks! I am so sorry to hear that! But I'm going up next weekend (May 2nd) and I'm kindof worried I might not fit either.

I'm a Cedar Point junkie, and I fit in all of their coasters perfectly fine (well okay, Top Thrill and Millennium Force are tight, but hey -- I still fit!). I'm not super huge, but I am plus-size and I always get worried about whether or not I'll fit in the coasters. I understand the weight and height limits, but it's still really embarrassing to think about. Luckily, I haven't been turned away from a seat yet, and I really hope that it doesn't start with Diamondback!

On a side note, it looks like Diamondback's lap harness is very similar to Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens. I've rode that one before and was fine, but I didn't know if they were pretty much the same design or if I'm mistaken.

Are there any of the other coasters at Kings Island that are a tight fit? I haven't been since I was in 10th grade, and that was about 8 years ago. I'm still pretty much the same size as I was then, but I dunno about these new coasters :(

I believe the problem here isn't necessarily being "fat", but rather having "thick thighs".

I am 6-6 255. I've never really had any problem with any ride restraints. The first time I rode we were in the first 2 seats of the last car. The attendant had to "forcefully" push the restraint to get it to the "safety" line. The ride was not much fun with no airtime at all.

The second time we rode, we sat in the first 2 seats of the second car. The restraint went to the "safety" line easily and I had an inch or so to spare. The airtime was amazing!

I know when I rode Hulk at Island of Adventures they had special rows for tall people. Is it possible there are rows on Diamondback for larger thighed people?

I believe the problem here isn't necessarily being "fat", but rather having "thick thighs".

I am 6-6 255. I've never really had any problem with any ride restraints. The first time I rode we were in the first 2 seats of the last car. The attendant had to "forcefully" push the restraint to get it to the "safety" line. The ride was not much fun with no airtime at all.

The second time we rode, we sat in the first 2 seats of the second car. The restraint went to the "safety" line easily and I had an inch or so to spare. The airtime was amazing!

I know when I rode Hulk at Island of Adventures they had special rows for tall people. Is it possible there are rows on Diamondback for larger thighed people?

I have thick thighs too, so maybe that's what the problem is. Even though I've never not fit on a coaster, I have known bigger (around) people than me ride the same rides and have more room to maneuver than I did.

I never really thought about how the size of your thighs contributes to how you fit in a ride before.. haha, you'd think that would've crossed my mind 'cause mine are def. in the pre-thunder category, lol!

Firehawk boy are your posts necessary? Why must this guy be a "coaster fanatic" to post on a forum here? KIC is not a site for "coaster fanatics" only, it a site that people can visit when they have questions or concerns about Kings Island. KIC is a site to get information from people in the industry and out of the industry. KIC is a place for Kings Island fans to come together, and I'm pretty sure Kings Island is much more than roller coasters.

Now back on topic that is really forunate that you were turned away, I wouldn't of been too embarrassed not to skip the line and try to ride though. Hope you get to ride it sometime, also welcome to Kings Island Central.

My rides were rather inconsistent too. The first two are fine, but the last one, I had to be stapled into the seat. For the record, I have never had any trouble fitting into any coaster at any park (I even folded into Jr. Gemini fine), yet I still had to be stapled on my last ride.

Flyer, annoyed.

My wife and I had been looking forward to opening day for weeks and after suffering the semi-long drive and really long line, I was turned away from riding it because "I wouldn't fit". I was more then mildly disappointed. First of all I fit in all the other rides and more importantly the kid that kicked me off made that comment in a "too fat" sort of way rather then simply wouldn't fit. I'm six foot five inches and rather stocky but I did see them cramming bigger(around) people then I into those seats and letting them ride.

Now of course I did try the seat they have at the start of the line and the person working it said I was fine. The seat was really snug and the bar felt secured in my lap.

I don't know, I just sort of felt like I was being rushed out of line simply to get more people through without a fair shake. I did talk to someone about it and they offered to take us to the front of the line but by that time I was already in a bit of an embarrassed state so I passed.

Reckon that's what season passes are for, I'll try again.

hey i think i saw you. man you looked mad.

Oh, did you? lol, yea I was steamed. What a way to treat a veteran eh?

Thanks for the welcome though everyone. We've been enjoying Kings Island for years and I've had the week to calm down so I won't let this experience ruin us on going.

Just hope I get to ride the darn thing.

Hey don't feel that bad guess what the same thing happened to me the same way expect I'm 6'0ft tall and the guy tried to push it down on me and said he was sorry and the lady at the exit did the same thing, the thing that made me mad all the employees did there job but there was the Area Supervisor and 2 other professional looking men and not one said they were sorry. I did get the first rider shirt :( Unfortunately big thighed people have troubles with the seats and often can't fit. I'm going to KI tomorrow with the hopes of trying to ride it tomorrow if all fails guess what I get the ride The Beast for an Hour. BTW I fit into every ride myself.

Now you guys have me worried. I am not a small guy but at 6' 245lb I have never had a problem. I can wear mostly XL shirts but sometimes XXL. So what is too big to ride. With Americans getting heavier and heavier, I feel pretty normal sized. I would think that they would consider this when designing the seat/restraints.

I am bigger thighed, not huge (mine are 22" around unflexed).

This is my experience, I've rode twice in row 10 (not sure which colors) and I had about half an inch to spare at the black line. Today I also rode row 1, went one click past the black line and had over an inch to spare. So I would recommend going on a calm day and trying out a few different rows, there seems to be a decent amount of variation.

Edit: Besure to take everything out of your pockets too. The seats are narrow so anything in your pockets will be pushed up to the top of your thigh.

Now you guys have me worried. I am not a small guy but at 6' 245lb I have never had a problem. I can wear mostly XL shirts but sometimes XXL. So what is too big to ride. With Americans getting heavier and heavier, I feel pretty normal sized. I would think that they would consider this when designing the seat/restraints.

I would like to think they consider safety first then size ranges of potential riders second. While it's true that americans are getting bigger and bigger, plus some of us are just naturally big and tall, obviously a snug fit with the seat is a lot safer then a loose one. With the target demographic being families with children after all. So, it's not like I would be offeneded or mad if I simply didn't fit in the ride(wouldn't be the first time I was too tall\big for something), it's just their attitude about it was compleltly out of character for that park.

But yea, a plus size roller coaster would be awesome. About 3 or 4 Laz-E-Boy's per train....

Oh and thanks for all the info guys. Seems like this website got a great bunch of fans together. :)

I got off Diamondback yesterday to see Danielle (keiko_coaster) at the exit, almost in tears. Apparently the ride op took one look at her and told her she couldn't ride. I rode it with her on opening day, and she did fit. I'm a small person, but it infuriates me to see people treated this way without even asking if they rode it before or if they tried the test seat. DB was a walk on all day yesterday, so I really don't see what the problem was.

I must of missed something then because i dont see any other irrelevant posts in this thread, if so I apologize I thought you were talking about the original post

Yeah, the posts got deleted, so that's why it looks silly that my posts are still up there because it looks like i'm saying that to "sarapricex3".

So no need to apologize. :P

I got off Diamondback yesterday to see Danielle (keiko_coaster) at the exit, almost in tears. Apparently the ride op took one look at her and told her she couldn't ride. I rode it with her on opening day, and she did fit. I'm a small person, but it infuriates me to see people treated this way without even asking if they rode it before or if they tried the test seat. DB was a walk on all day yesterday, so I really don't see what the problem was.

A trip to Guest Relations by you both would hopefully have been helpful. There is WAY too much of this type of conduct by ride ops at Diamondback being reported here. Perhaps it is the same ride operator causing this. If that is the case, either some sensitivity training (of a very focused and fast type) or a dismissal might well be in order. Perhaps this person has issues with large people.

In any event, the powers that be can't do much about little people abusing their positions unless they know about it. Perhaps people on this site should make it their business to try to assist the park by reporting such conduct. A pattern of complaints will probably result in action. I am not suggesting we abuse the ride ops. Far from it. But this type of conduct is simply unacceptable. People who go to amusement parks should be able to have fun without being abused due to their perceived (and in this case not even actual) size.

gigacoaster2k, sorry to hear about your friend. I just get silently mad and embarrassed but had they done that to my wife....I don't know...

At any rate, I'm willing to forgive this because its only one of a few blemishes on a otherwise spotless record. The only other time I've been so upset was when a kid working there actually attempted to jump over the red train on Racer to get to the other side. We were already seated and the not so small guy landed right on prime territory. This was years ago though.

It just depends i was there Friday, and it seems some seats have more lee-way,,, All was good though, i worry too, but these restraints are hard on thighs and legs for sure.

As i do have big thighs and legs, I just kind of crammed, in , and it worked.

But weird restraints in deed, I felt more room on Cedar Point coasters.

Edit: Besure to take everything out of your pockets too. The seats are narrow so anything in your pockets will be pushed up to the top of your thigh.

Definitely follow this! Wear a shirt or something with a button up front pocket and throw your phone/keys in there. I don't really carry a wallet so keeping all my cards in my pocket is alright but anything big like keys or a phone, you'll want to put it somewhere else. It's quite uncomfortable.

I could fit the first time, but not the second time. I'm not going to try again until I manage to lose some weight. I never thought my thighs were that big, but apparently they are.

I think the restraints are an inherent design flaw. Considering the times, I think these should be more accommodating. People were getting turned away left and right Friday, myself included. I may be missing something, but why can't the clicks start sooner? Would it be any less safe? I think not.