Six Flags Charges You More To Print Your Ticket At Home

You'd think that Six Flags would be a little smarter about how it treats its fans, given that it's teetering on calamity and all. But no, the company, which runs more than 20 parks around North America, has decided that the best way to soak up a little quick cash would be to charge $5 to any customer who elects to visit its website and print his own ticket at home...

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/04/24/f...print-your-tic/

Wet n' Wild Emerald Pointe did this until 2008, I asked the revenue manager about itin 2007, and he said that it is a convenience charge. I also made the point that no other park major parks were selling tickets online at a higher price. Now Wet n' Wild charges the same price online as they do at the park.

EDIT: Just checked the SFOG site, and they advertise "ONLINE SPECIAL — $29.99

Buy your tickets online and everyone pays the kids price of $29.99." I agree with Interpreter's following post, it borders on deception. It would make much more sense to make the Print-n-go charge a hidden fee in the price of the online ticket. However, it still keeps the price higher at the gate.

It is just like ticket master. Nickel and Dime, I have actually not gone to ball games because I got so upset at all the ticket master fees. I personally hate being nickeled and dimed, so this charge would really bother me if I was planning a trip to SF.

This is totally off topic, but Zorba, your avatar cracks me up.

Back on topic. The saddest thing about this is that people will pay it because it's still cheaper than buying a ticket at the gate. I hate 'hidden' fees - just stick it in the price of the ticket up front rather than sneaking it in the back door.

Edit: My cat stood on my keyboard and left some interesting characters at the end of my post. Wee!

How can Six Flags call it a "handling fee" when the user is printing it on their printer? The ideal behind buying your tickets online is to save on labor and waiting in line at the park. I call this another name for a tax or user fee or whatever Six Flags calls it. Either way it is fleecing and creating hardwill with the guests.

The Cincinnati Arts Association does the same thing - it costs you more to print your own ticket than it does to have them mail the ticket to your house. I discovered this back in December when I purchased a ticket to see Mannheim Steamroller at the Aranoff Center. They tacked on close to $10 worth of fees/charges, then wanted an extra $2 for me to print my own ticket. It makes no sense, but I just went with the cheaper option and had them mail my ticket to me.

I know it doesn't bother some people, but I hate being nickel and dimed and being charged to print my own ticket for a waterpark/amusement park would keep me from going, most of the time. Just like in college I used to eat at McDonald's a few times a week, until they started charging me for BBQ sauce, for the 2.5 years after that I ate at McDonald's in that city about 5 times.

The Beach charges as well... its not as uncommon as people may think...

especially since some places outsource the 'online ticket purchasing'...

That's a bit surprising. Considering that The Beach is a family-owned park, I can't figure out why they would do that.