Friday, Saturday, Sunday (04.24-26) TR

violakat03

I was spending too much time riding rides instead of taking pictures, so there are only a few pictures sprinkled in here and there.

Friday started off with a wonderful, wonderful event. For those who don't know, my husband is a truck driver, and spends weeks at a time on the road. He's been gone for almost 5 weeks, and I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever see him again. Thursday, he and his co-driver got sent on a run to West Virginia and they decided to call it off-time. They headed into Ohio after their drop-off and I saw my husband for the first time in over a month on Friday morning!

We'd talked about this weekend and the possibility that he'd be home, and he wanted to go to Kings Island with me if they made it back in time. Friday afternoon, we searched out a pair of shorts for him, our hats that hadn't been worn since park season last year, and any other goodies the two of us needed to get to the park. We made a slight detour to a friend's house because I discovered that my grandma had given away her entertainment book, and I was hoping to use her coupon for the $10 discount on the platinum pass. A friend had an entertainment book and wasn't planning on using the coupon, so we stopped by her house to pick it up and then were on our way.

Going through the construction zone on 75 in Dayton, I was REALLY glad we weren't going north.

103_0348.jpg

Northbound traffic was stopped from the time we got on 75 near Sinclair, until we were almost to the Dayton Mall exit. Southbound was moving fairly well, though there were some slow downs in spots.

I took the opportunity to snap a picture of my husband while he wasn't looking, wearing his KI-essential Corvette hat.

103_0350.jpg

He said after a month of driving the truck, driving our VUE feels like he's riding with his bum scraping the ground. I can't imagine what he'd feel like driving my little sedan! :lol:

Approaching Mason via 741 gives some fantastic views of the park as you crest the hill right before 71.

103_0352.jpg

I was giving directions and missed the left turn you're supposed to make. We ended up wandering around in Mason trying to get back to the park, which made us late for the ERT. We arrived at the park at about 5:20 and met up with Gabe and Angie (gigacoaster2k) at the exit for Diamondback. Gabe had taken 1 ride and Angie had taken 2, so they were already ahead of us for the day. We jumped back in line so Nick could have his first ride. The line was VERY VERY short. We walked through to where the queue passes under the chain hill and I took the opportunity to grab a random pic of Gabe.

103_0355.jpg

And yes, that really is the end of the line where the guy in the white shirt is standing.

We ended up taking 4 rides on Diamondback in an hour. After the fourth ride we met up with Ryan (boddah1994) and headed toward Crypt to take a break from Diamondback. On the way to Crypt, we decided we needed a sixth rider to keep things even, and managed to snag another KICer who was just chillin on a bench! Bryan (CedarPointguyFromCincy) got adopted into the group and onto Crypt we went. Nick sat out Crypt because his stomach was a little wonky from repeating Diamondback so much. From there, Ryan suggested X-base and Coney Mall, so off we went!

On the way to Coney we stopped at Backlot Stunt Coaster and then hit up Flight of Fear, beforewhich Bryan split off. I'm not too fond of the lights in the tunnel being on, I prefer the dark tunnel. Oh well. From FOF, we headed toward Racer, but I couldn't resist Monster, which was getting ready to load for it's next cycle. Nick and Angie can't do spinny rides, and Ryan had no interest, so Gabe indulged me. The other three waited at a table outside Subway and Nick surprised me with my favorite flavor of Dippin Dots (banana split). From there, it was on to Racer! Even though only the red side was running, it was still walk-on.

After Racer, Nick and Ryan needed a break and Gabe had never ridden Drop Tower, so the trio headed off to Action Zone. Drop Tower was walk-on like everything else, and as we headed towards our assigned seats, Gabe surprised us by chickening out! Bah. He did hit Delirium with us though, so he's still cool. I'll get him on Drop Tower before the end of the season, don't worry.

From Drop Tower, we met back up with the other two guys and got my first night ride on Beast for the season. And then it was time for two more rides on Diamondback, to make a total of 6 for me for the day.

As we were leaving, we ran into jrstacy98 and his family. We swapped phone numbers for the next day, which I'm really glad we did, as you'll see in the next post! Then Gabe, Angie, Nick and I headed to Steak n Shake in Mason before we split to head for home.

Saturday was a late day. I didn't get to bed until after 3 a.m. and I haven't been sleeping well lately. We slept until about 11, then I went back and took a nap shortly after that. We ended up heading for the park at about 4:30. Conveniently, when I texted John (jrstacy98), he and his family were almost to the park. I was also trying to meet up with some friends from Thrill Network, though that didn't manage to happen until after park close! It seemed like they were always getting off whatever ride we'd just gotten on, or leaving a part of the park we'd just gotten to, without fail.

We met up with John, his kids and his brother. That was a lot of fun.

I honestly don't remember what order we did things in, but I do remember that we did some Racer (boys vs girls, of course!), and some Flight Deck. By the end of the day I'd only added 2 rides on Diamondback to my count, but one of those was the last train of the night, so that was a lot of fun. Then we finally met up with my friends from Thrill Network and we headed ... back to Steak n Shake!

Sunday was another late day. We got to the park around 5 p.m. and I was kind of sad to see that Diamondback had a fairly long line. We ended up meeting up with Elissa (not a KIC member, but a cool chick anyway) and Adam (pkiboy), where we headed for Racer. After two rounds of not racing (BOO!), we ended up meeting up with even more KICers - along the way we collected Jackson (beast1979), Nick (dare-to-fly) and said hi to Brent (rollercoast19). Trooper Mom was awesome and took a group picture in front of Racer.

103_0365.jpg

Nick (my husband), me, Elissa, Jackson, Joe (Jackson's little brother - little Trooper!), Adam (pkiboy) and Nick (dare-to-fly)

From there, we went to ... Beast! Trooper Mom helped us with another group pic!

103_0366.jpg

And look, we collected indianapolisman!

After that, Nick (my husband, not dare-to-fly) and I lost the group because his knee was bothering him and so we took a break and rode the train. We then went to Diamondback and saw that the wait was around a half hour. 20 minutes later, we got row 16 (woo!) and Nick decided to see how wet he could get in the back seat by sticking both hands to the right and leaning to the side.

He got pretty wet.

103_0368.jpg

We ran around to the entrance for one more lap before close. This time we both played "how wet can you get in row 16." My back and one arm got drenched. Nick managed to get the entire upper half of his body soaking, dripping wet. He looked like he just came off White Water Canyon instead of Diamondback!

Elissa and two of her friends took us to a local joint called Toot's which was pretty darn good. Nick had to change his shirt first because his was so incredibly wet, and luckily he'd brought an extra shirt with him in the car. Elissa showed us her amazing collection of ride photos from parks all across the country (she has a stack a foot tall!!) and then it was time to call it a night.

What a great weekend!

Great Trip Report, Kat! Sounds like you had a great time! It was nice to meet you Saturday night with the last rides on Diamondback. I didnt realize so many KIC members were at the park Sunday, I noticed pkiboy and he was the only member I saw. I saw both him and Elissa numerous times in the single rider line for Diamondback but never did go up to introduce myself (I need to break out of that habit) Glad you and your husband both had a good time, hope to see you around the park more this season.

Thanks for picking me up guys!! (Good thing I don't weigh that much) :rolleyes: <----Bad comedy. I was actually about to leave the park when I saw you guys and I'm glad I stayed.

BTW here is that picture I was gonna E-mail Elissa, I havn't been able to find it though. So if you know it will you send it to her?

On Ride Photo

Well I'm sure we'll bump into each other on RWW till then take care.

I saw both him and Elissa numerous times in the single rider line for Diamondback but never did go up to introduce myself (I need to break out of that habit)

It's a hard habit to break, but life is so much more fun once you have.

By the way, thanks Kat for posting those group pictures here. I'm glad to know there are photos of me in my two favorite hangouts at Kings Island. For those that are not aware - I'm the one in the blue Racer T-shirt...which, I might add, I was thrilled to find after years of hoping to find one.